• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rem 700 VTR 223

burgessb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2010
in the woods
Anyone here shoot a VTR?
i have a few questions.
any more or less accurate than reg heavy barrel??
could u thread one? thanks in advance for the answers and the abuse

Re: Rem 700 VTR 223

Looked on the .223's specs on the Rem site. With a 22" 1:9" barrel, I have to wonder whether the system can adequately stabilize 75-77gr bullets. Seems a bit short in the length, and long in the twist for such.

Same thoughts re" 22" .308 with 1:12" twist and 175's.

Does anyone have specific experience with this?

I have one in 308, It is very accurate but I have heard a lot of them are very ammo picky. I got lucky with mine from what ive heard.

Better luck shooting s**t out of a cannon
wink.gif
Go with an SPS. A friend of mine had one and could not get it to shot with the factory barrel and this guy knows his 700's. They are able to be threaded but for what? They come with a goofy 3 cut brake that doesnt make a bit of difference besides muzzle jump and I wouldn't pay to have any work done to the factory barrel. Caleb^^ is right about finding one that shoots well. There is only a hand full that received a shooter out of the box. You could always buy one and screw on a take-off round barrel but Id buy an elcheapo action somewhere and put on a B&C green stock, trigger, takeoff (round) barrel and be done!

The only differences between the SPS (TAC)and VTR barrels is the slabbed sides and chop sawed brake on the VTR. I have one that I had cut back to eliminate the brake, threaded and re-crowned and it shoots better than acceptable now with both 69smk and sierra 60 hollow points.

Both my SPS tactical and VTR struggled to shoot the 75 grain bullets well. The 69smk however shined in both rifles.

Greg, my 20" barreled LTR stabilizes 178 Amax's very well and its a 12 twist. Its even done very well at 1K with 45 gr of Varget pushing them.

okie

Thanks for the info. I just tend to favor longer barrels; it's a kinda mental block of mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked on the .223's specs on the Rem site. With a 22" 1:9" barrel, I have to wonder whether the system can adequately stabilize 75-77gr bullets. Seems a bit short in the length, and long in the twist for such.

Does anyone have specific experience with this? </div></div>

I have a 20" and 22" .308's both have 12 twists they stabilizes 175's just fine. In fact that's all we shoot out of them. I have a buddy who shoots 190 SMKs out of a Dave Tooley build with 12 twist FWIW.

I have a 14.5 AR-15 with a 1/9 twist that stabilizes 77 smks.

Bottom line, you won't know until you try.

Here is a 3 shot group at 300 yards with a 20" 1/12 twist pushing 175 smks.

0207121137.jpg

I have a .308 VTR, and loved it. However, now that I have shot the crap out of it PROPERLY, it leaves me wanting more. The rifle no longer meets my expectations or my abilities as a shooter (not that I'm a marksman or anything). I just went and got a Remmy 5R on order today. I honestly got caught up in the "tacti-cool" look of the VTR when I purchased it a few years ago. Don't get me wrong the thing is a good shooter. I have killed numerous coyotes, deer, and a bobcat. The 20" barrel makes it a great truck gun out at the farm, and it will stay that way. However there are way better rifles made by remington at a lower cost, and far more upgradeable as you progress. I will keep my VTR for now just so I have a usable rifle and donor action for a build in few years. Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looked on the .223's specs on the Rem site. With a 22" 1:9" barrel, I have to wonder whether the system can adequately stabilize 75-77gr bullets. Seems a bit short in the length, and long in the twist for such.

Does anyone have specific experience with this? </div></div>

I have a 20" and 22" .308's both have 12 twists they stabilizes 175's just fine. In fact that's all we shoot out of them. I have a buddy who shoots 190 SMKs out of a Dave Tooley build with 12 twist FWIW.

I have a 14.5 AR-15 with a 1/9 twist that stabilizes 77 smks.

Bottom line, you won't know until you try.

Here is a 3 shot group at 300 yards with a 20" 1/12 twist pushing 175 smks.

0207121137.jpg
</div></div>

Thats a hell of a nice group there boone! Must have been indoors
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the info. I just tend to favor longer barrels; it's a kinda mental block of mine. </div></div>

Yeah, me too. This little rifle's taught me a lot though.

okie