• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing rem 700 vtr options

jd_dragon

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2009
I'm new here, need a little help figuring out what I need to turn my VTR into a decent varmint rifle. So far its just a straight out of the box VTR in .223. I'd like some ideas/options on bottom metals, adding rails to the stock, and well stocks (i've heard mixed on the orginal stock) I know its out there, but I do like the bottom rail like the JAE-700RSA has, any ideas on how to pull that off?

thanks
jd

Re: rem 700 vtr options

A "decent" varmint rifle is one which shoots well. Try shooting yours first.

Good/superb ammo and good optics and a good trigger puller are key.

I own two VTR's, the very first thing I did was toss the factory stocks in the trash. I can tell you that with a real stock they shoot very well. Mine now rides in a McRee stock and Scott offers all sorts of rail mounting points, folding stock, optics mounts oh yea it will also take AI mags with this stock change.

thanks, the big hang up is the bottom metal in 223, everyone offers 308... I've seen the mini-14 mag conversion, has anyone seen an AR-15 mag conversion?