• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem.700 VTR or rem 700 SPS Varmint

tjrumseyjr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
N.Y.S.
hey guys i want to start a new rig but i cant decide what rifle to use. i had a rem 700 vsf .308 it was deadly but had a 26'inch barrel, and i cant deside if i want the 24' inch vtr. or the 26'inch sps.also what is the best ammo choice for both.

Re: rem.700 VTR or rem 700 SPS Varmint

I'm not too keen on the looks of the VTR barrel but it does shoot well. What are you looking to build on it, tactical, target, hunting, hybrid?

completely tactical,i already have a rem 700police 300mag but its too hard to get match ammo for it so i use that for deer hunting. the .308 match ammo is easy to find. and easier on my wallet$$$.

My cousin owns and uses a VTR in .223.

Great rifle that shoot flat and true!

Not sure if i would own one, not a massive fan of triangualr barrel but it doesnt look all to bad once kitted out.

I had a VTR and it shot well. The VTR actually has a 22" barrel, and the rifling only runs out to 20". The break adds an extra two inches. The VTR is nice for the fact that the break greatly reduced recoil which allowed me to maintain sight picture on the longer shots which is key.

I actually gave that rifle to my dad and opted for the SPS Tactical (20" barrel). The bull barrel has proven to hold tighter groups than the VTR, and it actually does not heat up as quick, but the recoil is substantially greater. I am unable to maintain sight picture with it, and I will install a break in the very near future.

Your best bet would probably be to go for the VSF and cut it back to 22" and install a Vias break on the end. That would be the best of both worlds, but it does add about $100 to the price of the gun. Don't forget, that you will need to change the stock on either one to a stock with a full length aluminum bedding block (HS Precision, Manners, McMillian, Choate, or AICS, etc).

I'm thinking along those same lines, a SPS Tac would be a good start. Trash the stock and get something beefier then go shoot and make whatever adjustments need to be made. I have learned in todays economy to make due with what you have until it is absolutely positively necessary to change/improve it. The SPS Tac is a solid rifle out of the box if the shooter does his part.

i had a sps varmint in 308 i loved that rifle and i had the barrel shortend to 22 and after i installed pillars and glass beded the rifle and also stiffend up the forend it shot every but as accurate as my brothers 700p

ok guys ive narrowed the choices to a Rem.700 sps .308 and a mcmillan stock. i chose the sps becouse it was the only rifle i found with a 1\10 twist and thats the recomended choice for rem. premier match 175 grn. .308 the other rifles mentioned either had 1\11 or 1\12 twist. if there is a big differance in twist rate let me know.

The SPS Tactical 308 is a 1/12 twist.

Where did you read that it is 1/10 twist?

The 1/12 twist will do fine for the 175 gr bullets, but the 1/10 will do better. The difference should be marginal until you get out past about 650 yards or so.

the sps v has a 1 in 12 twist not sure what the sps tac has but i have shot 155,168 and 175 with no problem but the 1 in 12 seems to prefer the 168ish weight

thats not the rifle im talking about the standard rem.700 sps .308 has a 24 inch barrel and 1\10 twist. just go to remingtons web sight

the reason for the 1\10 twist is thats what rem. reccomends for th premier match ammo.and i prefer the .175grn. to hold up to the wind.thats ok lcpl. i was being a little missleading. the optics will be one of leupolds vx3'S.

I just recently purchased a 700 vtr in .223 I am very happy with it. My only problem is I want to change stocks and cant seem to find a aftermarket stock.

is remington still building the vsf's. i dont see them listed on their websight anymore or would a rem.700p .308 be a better choice.

Any stock for a rem short action with a varmint barrel chanel will fit your VTR look in the for sale section and you will find heaps. I would go for a VSF over all of the others as they already have the HS precision stock the only other rifle would be a Police or LTR. As for twist rate a 12 twist will shoot 175gr projectiles to 1000 yards no problem i use them in my ssg all the time the best projectile. The 10 twist will stabalise a 210gr match projectile out of a 308 and the 12 will shoot a 190gr out to 50 or so depending on the rifle if you are not shooting past 175gr stick with a 12 twist. We just shot some new 155gr Sierra MAtchkings the new replacement they have a BC almost the same as the 175gr and have a huge velocity advantage and they shoot from a 13 twist perfectly past 1000 yards.

So my advice buy a LTR, Police or VSF/VSSF in 308 12 twist and shoot the new 155gr Sierra's or shoot Lapua 155gr Factory. I will bet my balls that someone will custom load the new Sierra very soon someone like superior,silver state or Black Hills.
also you dont have to replace the crap plastic stock on them the plastic stocks have realy turned to pieces of crap it used to be to make the rifle lighter and more damage resistant now they are just there to increase profits and then you have to spend another couple of hundred bucks to get sompthing decent. It is realy hard to beat a Rem factory heavy barrel with a HS stock.

Hope this helps

i will go for the vsf .308 knowing they can handle the heavy 175grn. bullet.im going to pass on buying a vtr.

Thats a good choice it will save you in the long run. If you want a shorter barrel and muzzle break that cah be done you cant strech a 20" barrel to 24"

i use to have a vsf.in .308 but traded it for my rem.700police .300 mag. i wish i had kept the vsf. but the police is deadly and didnt do any tech work to it other than having to send the rifle back to the company to have the headspace redone and a final barrel reaming.

Hi just looking at the Rem website their are not many heavy barreled 308's any more the VSSF is no longer available in 308 the varmint SF is actualy a VSSF barreled action in a plastic stock like a VTR stock their is a great little XCR Compact Tacticle but only a 20" barrel if you are looking for a longer barrel no good i would look for an old stock New rem Varmint Synthetic they are blued action and barrel 26" long 12 twist with a HS stock. Most of the rifles have that triangular barrel if you dont mind that barrel their is a Target Tacticle with Bell and CArlson stock it has the triangular barrel with the last part of the barrel counterbored but that could easily be cut off and would make a great rifle then the 700P and ltr are the other options.

The Target Tactical has a 11 1/4 twist aswell so you would be able to shoot 190gr projectiles if you wanted just giving you some options. This rifle would probably be the best rifle for tactical comps and shooting it has the Wide 3' flat under the front portian of the stock the triangular barrel will also tame the weight a bit and a break can still be fitted if that is what you are after i would chop the counterbore off it can help accuracy if corectly done but i prefer more than a 1/4" back bore to make any diference in accuracy. Also the 26" barrel allows you to have it cut to any length you want.

The Old VSF is diferent to the new Varmint SF so just be carefull and check the exact rifle out before you buy.

700_ttr_780.jpg

here is a pic
Miight be a bit rich though at nearly 2 grand recomended retail it is a bit over the top. I would still look for a Police or old stock rem synthetic stock varmint rifle probably the best value for money

thats not a bad looking rifle it would look better whith all my hardware on it.hand grip would be my only concerne i have small hands thats why i prefer the hs. stock whith the palmswell fits my hands and better trigger control.

how hard would it be to get my hands on a rem.700p .308

i think that target tactical is a friggin scam you would be better off buying a surgeon action top shelf barrel and use that same stock and after smithy cost you would be less than 2K

The 700P's come up all the time i would search the Used guns sites and also look through the clasifieds here and place a wanted to buy ad in the WTB section you will get looked after. Your local gunshop could also get a 700P in for you their should be no problems.

I cant get over the proce on it either a 5R barrel plus a SPS and the stock is still under 2 grand US and you could get the action trued into the price i suppose you could even get a barrel machined and ad that to it to make it look the same as you say you could almost get a basic custom built for close.

thanks alot for your info, also i just looked at nighthawk custom new line of tactical rifles was wonering if you have seen them.

Check this out it has a 24" 5R barrel and the HS Police stock
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126227353
Here is another rifle i dont think it is a 700P more likly a LTR it is used
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126125093

Another 5R
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126267863
A Nice Tactical 24" barrel Green Stock with But hook
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126008484
26" XCR Tactical
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126173233
700P
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=126263695

Just for starters check them out there are more see what shape stock you like and go that way most of these guns are not in the Rem catalog but their are heaps of great rifles there mabe one with the green but hook and 24" fluted barrel would be my pick.

thanks for the info i think i will look into the 700p.