• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700 with carbon fiber barrel

sapper12b

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 25, 2009
Wyoming
I have a Rem 700 cambered in 22-250 with a carbon fiber barrel. By chance do any of guy have a clue about it. I dont have a clue and am looking to get rid of it its just taking up room and have other guns I want to work on.

Reactions: Paul Daigle
Re: Rem 700 with carbon fiber barrel

What kind of CF barrel and how many rounds have been fired through it?

Has the action been blueprinted, what stock is on it, who built it, what's the twist on the barrel.

These are all questions that pertain to selling the rifle. Can you post some pictures of teh rifle in detail, that will help a lot.

Here is a couple pictures sorry they are not the greatest I will see if I can get some better ones when I can. I can tell you that it is a factory run of rifles from Rem. I am not sure of how many round have been put threw but I can tell you I have put threw 50 . I think its a HS stock because it fells just like my R5. Im not sure of the twist and Im pretty sure that the action is just a stock 700 From what I have found everyone says that Christensens arms out of UT mad the barrels. Hope this help.
23vg7l2.jpg

2nkndj4.jpg

2e4vtb5.jpg

Okay did find a little about it I think, this is what I found.
This is a Remington 700 VS Composite,chambered in a .22-250...This gun offers a 26inch composite barrel which is carbon fiber with a stainless steel insert,also has a Kevlar reinforced black synthetic stock, and black matte finished steel action...This gun was manufactured between 1999-2000 by Remingtons Custom Shop

I dont know if those were built for Lew Horton but I remember them having them in stock way back when

By chance do you have an idea what it is worth?

Oh certainly no more than...$700, so that's what I'll offer you!
wink.gif

Neat stick!

I was watching one on GB a while back, ended up selling for around $1250 I was in the bidding up to 1k

it was still NIB though.

I have had one since they came out. Great shooting stick,I would say no less than $1200 if you were to sell it.If I remember right these rifles were close to $1500 when new.Plus it is a unique and neat looking rifle.

I am hunting for this exact gun. A Remington 700 VS Composite in 22-250. Do you still have it?

What you have is a REM 700 vsc. Varmit synthetic composet. It is chambered in three cal. 22-250, 223, .308. I have one in .308 it is a tack driver. Paid 1800. For it new in 1990 or so.

The barrals are from christionson arms. The as center is a kreager turned down and wraped with carbon fiber. It's 1.25" in dia. I will tell you I love mine. Hits 1130 yards with ease and nice and lite. The stock is hs persision p with the small palm swell.

I was wondering if you still had this rifle for sale?

Carbon fiber barrel??? How does that exactly...work? Sorry for the noobish question but i've never heard of that! Really nice rifle there
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 0481</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The barrals are from christionson arms. The as center is a kreager turned down and wraped with carbon fiber. It's 1.25" in dia. I will tell you I love mine. Hits 1130 yards with ease and nice and lite. The stock is hs persision p with the small palm swell. </div></div>

That better be predictive text from a cell phone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carbon fiber barrel??? How does that exactly...work? Sorry for the noobish question but i've never heard of that! Really nice rifle there
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well, I am not an expert but I believe it is like this.
It is a very thin barrel made of stainless metal, then they wrap resin soaked carbon fibers around the metal to increase the stiffness.
The result is a very light but still stiff barrel.
I assume they will get hot pretty fast, but maybe they cool down fast too???

I have a Rem 700 cambered in 22-250 with a carbon fiber barrel. By chance do any of guy have a clue about it. I dont have a clue and am looking to get rid of it its just taking up room and have other guns I want to work on.

Do u still have the gun??

I seen one in .223rem in Billings MT years back at a Shipton's Big R. It was new and they were asking $900 for it. I still kick myself in the assignment for not buying it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter_308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Carbon fiber barrel??? How does that exactly...work? Sorry for the noobish question but i've never heard of that! Really nice rifle there
wink.gif
</div></div>

Well, I am not an expert but I believe it is like this.
It is a very thin barrel made of stainless metal, then they wrap resin soaked carbon fibers around the metal to increase the stiffness.
The result is a very light but still stiff barrel.
I assume they will get hot pretty fast, but maybe they cool down fast too???

The carbon fiber radiates heat insanely fast. I have this weapon chambered in .308 Win and put 60 rounds through it zeroing a scope and checking drop over distance for a DOPE card and the barrel remained cool enough to lay my hand on it throughout. It's a shame that everybody thought that it was such an ugly gun and they didn't sell because it's a joy to fire and you never have to worry about a barrel overheating, at least not under any conditions that a man might want to place himself for an enjoyable afternoon on a bench at a range. It was sold with an excellent composite hunting stock in a heathered gray and that black barrel sitting on that gray stock looked huge, and probably was mistakenly perceived as ridiculously heavy when it was in fact very light. I move mine back and forth between the factory stock for hunting (and have carried it for miles in mountain terrain hunting deer and elk without any more fatigue than any other hunting rifle I own) and one of Maj. John Plaster's "Ultimate Sniper" Dragunov-style stocks for bench shooting because the integral bipod and elevator on the rear of the stock are a lot more convenient than a ransom rest for checking zero and the much heavier Plaster stock absorbs a LOT of recoil.

The carbon fiber radiates heat insanely fast. I have this weapon chambered in .308 Win and put 60 rounds through it zeroing a scope and checking drop over distance for a DOPE card and the barrel remained cool enough to lay my hand on it throughout. It's a shame that everybody thought that it was such an ugly gun and they didn't sell because it's a joy to fire and you never have to worry about a barrel overheating, at least not under any conditions that a man might want to place himself for an enjoyable afternoon on a bench at a range. It was sold with an excellent composite hunting stock in a heathered gray and that black barrel sitting on that gray stock looked huge, and probably was mistakenly perceived as ridiculously heavy when it was in fact very light. I move mine back and forth between the factory stock for hunting (and have carried it for miles in mountain terrain hunting deer and elk without any more fatigue than any other hunting rifle I own) and one of Maj. John Plaster's "Ultimate Sniper" Dragunov-style stocks for bench shooting because the integral bipod and elevator on the rear of the stock are a lot more convenient than a ransom rest for checking zero and the much heavier Plaster stock absorbs a LOT of recoil.

Do you know the twist rate in your .308 ? I have this rifle in .308, .223, and .22-250. The .22-250 is the only one I’ve fired so far, and it’s a tack driver, enough that I sought out a whole set of these after shooting it. Fat barrel qualities without the weight!

Do you know the twist rate in your .308 ? I have this rifle in .308, .223, and .22-250. The .22-250 is the only one I’ve fired so far, and it’s a tack driver, enough that I sought out a whole set of these after shooting it. Fat barrel qualities without the weight!

I can't remember if it's 1:10 or 1:12, so I'll check it out when I get home.

I can't remember if it's 1:10 or 1:12, so I'll check it out when I get home.

It's 1:10, right-hand twist, and seems to prefer 168-grain projectiles. With 168-grain, it's a half-MOA weapon; the smaller you go from 168 grain, regardless of propellant formula or charge, the worse it gets.