• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700P .308 trigger work

FF_T_Warren

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2010
Louisiana, United States
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and am looking for some help on tuning up my rifle. I bought a Rem 700P .308 a couple years ago with intentions of wanting to learn to shoot longer ranges and more accurate. I am looking to upgrade some things on this rifle to just improve my overall accuracy. Over the next couple months I want to change the stock out and get the trigger worked. I believe I am going to go with the mcmillan A-5 stock or the A-4, john wall advised to go with the A5. What do you guys think?

Also the main question I want some help on is what to do with my trigger. I want to tune it down to 2.5lbs, but someone told me I should just get a replacement trigger like a jewel. I've never heard of these before. My gun came with the exmark pro trigger(not the newest model the one before that). should I get this trigger worked down to 2.5 or should I replace it with an aftermarket? and if it should be replaced what would be the best to go with for the most reasonable price?

Thanks for any advice you guys can provide. I know alot of this has been asked before but when I searched it I didn't find anything real specific on these topics.

Re: Rem 700P .308 trigger work

Stocks are all about personal preference when it comes to quality stock makers.
I perfer A4 over A5 just me nothing wrong what so ever with the A5.
For a decent trigger look at Shilen about $90 or spend the extra and buy a jewel.
A litle more info about your rifle setup , range and exp. will help others help you. If just starting instead of buying a new stock keep the HS for now buy quality ammo or reloading components. good scope rings and base and optics, chrono and join snipers hide online training.

ok thanks.
Right now I am shooting 168gr federal gold medal match ammo. I've been shooting rifles for years but in the hunting application. I have the leupold mark4 rings and bases(2 piece bases). I went a little cheap on the scope but have had good results with it and it had good reviews on snipercentral.com. Its a falcon menace scope. I haven't done much shooting with this rifle to be honest but I want to really get after it this summer and learn the gun more to try and improve my long range shots(long range to me probably not that long to you guys) for deer hunting. I have an area at my camp that I can definitely get out to 600yds possibly 700, but at least 600 for sure.
As far as my experience with the rifle, I sited it in at 100, then adjusted it to be zeroed at 200. After that just playing around I shot it out 500 just to get a rough feel for what kind of adjustments were needed to shoot at those distances(basically I was just shooting, not putting any real effort into calculating other than well I was 6inches high, let me aim 6inches low this time). After finding exactly where I was hitting at 500, my first 3 shots weren't even on the target. my fourth shot drilled an orange sized target about 1/2" to left of dead center. At that point I called it a day.

btw as far as the ammo goes, I've always heard these were really good rounds. Are there better ones out there that aren't crazy expensive. I'd like to do my own reloading but I am a student and cant really afford everything I want right now. Im sure you guys can relate to that

Keep the stock you have. It is a pretty good stock. You can bed the action and improve the accuracy. You don't need the pillers, just the skim bedding.
The trigger is easy, a jewel is expensive but they are very good.
The menace is a great scope for the money. I have 2. Get a 20 or 30 MOA base if you are going to shoot the menace for a while, you run out of elevation at about 6 to 7 mil with a flat base.
Your ammo is fine to 800 yards no problem.
Good luck.

If you don't reload, FGMM ,Black Hills and Corbon are your best choices for accurate and consistent ammo. Save all of your brass.

Eventually, when you can purchase reloading equipment and components the accuracy potential of your rifle should increase quite a bit by tuning the load to your rifle.

168's are good out to about 800yds sometimes a bit more but will be unstable do to going subsonic before 1000yds (generally). 175's and high BC 155's will make it out to 1000 and still be supersonic (stable). Keep that in mind while planning your future shooting goals.

Can't beat the Jewell trigger. Spend the extra money for it, they are worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can't beat the Jewell trigger. Spend the extra money for it, they are worth it. </div></div>

Garddog,

Jewell triggers are worth it for what endeavor?? Yes, they are the best trigger for a rifle that never leaves a square range, but I've seen more than a few fail, in dirty conditions, on rifles that are used in rough conditions.

For good triggers, to be used on rifles that may be subject to extreme conditions, try a Timney, Shilen, or a Rifle Basic trigger.

Not trying to start a holy war, so YMMV and IMHO only.....

Trey,

If you mean a Timney or a RB trigger, swapping out is pretty easy.

Here a guide to installing a Jewell trigger.

Sniper Country

For Jewell Problems try here:
Benchrest Central Forums

Snipers Hide Forum Post

Snipers Hide Post

Snipers Hide Post

I have seen two fail myself in the last 10-15 years. I also have seen three Original Rem Triggers fail, in the last 25 years.

Not a consensus to be sure, but get enough anecdotes, and a trend emerges.

Again not trying to start a flame war, use what trigger you like.

I have three Jewell's on bolt guns that have been in the woods & never had an issue. You might have any sort of failure, on any day, so I'm not saying it won't happen. I have nothing but good things to say about Jewell.

There is also CG and Huber.

Check the group buy section. For light pull, I don't think you can beat a Jewell. For tactical use and a bit heavier use, there are others that might be better. You also have to decide between single stage (like the one that comes with the Remington 700) vs two stage.

Trey,

Rather than spoon feed you, let's improve your Google Fu:

But this into your search browser:

<span style="font-weight: bold">single stage vs double stage trigger</span>

And pages of articles, comments, usages and opinions will appear.

You can also search Snipers Hide the same way with this tool:

Sniper's Hide Search Engine

Try it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it easy to swap the trigger out? I will be using the gun for hunting so I'd like more opinion on this jewell trigger failing. </div></div>

Swapping out the Rifle Basix is so easy, even a caveman can do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trey,

Rather than spoon feed you, let's improve your Google Fu:

But this into your search browser:

<span style="font-weight: bold">single stage vs double stage trigger</span>

And pages of articles, comments, usages and opinions will appear.

You can also search Snipers Hide the same way with this tool:

Sniper's Hide Search Engine

Try it.

</div></div>

Ok I got it. thats the idea that I had. correct me if I am wrong but basically a 2 stage trigger would best be identified as like the trigger on a glock. its a long pull with a breaking point that is felt right at the end?

You should be able to acheive 2.5lb pull out of your factory trigger by adjusting it. Google adjusting the 40x trigger and try it out before you spend a decent chunk of change.

I have heard from several people that I cant adjust the Xmark trigger. a local gun shop said that with that trigger, something has to be broken on the inside of it in order to adjust it and that after that it doesnt stay consistent. they said Id be better ordering an aftermarket.

Is this false info I got? I mean I like the trigger and initially just just wanted to work it but I was told that I really couldnt

Thats false info, I had my trigger worked on by J&G gunsmiths in Rocklin on my 700P in 300RUM and it is fantastic, it breaks at 3lbs on the nose and has never changed, it smooth as glass.
I just bought a new remington external adjustable Xmark pro for my 700P in .308 from JHC on the board for 40 bucks and it is very nice too, can only get it down to 2.5lbs and its not as crisp as the one I had worked on but still a very good trigger, better than the shilen I had in there.
if your in Sac area J&G only charges 80bucks to do the trigger.

Trey,

I don't know if we helped you at all in your quest for a trigger for your 700P.

Yes, there are lots of good triggers for a Rem 700, ranging from a Jewell w/safety for around $230., a Rifle Basic for $150, Timney for a $125 or so, or reworking and tuning a newish MKX for $80.

There are also Jards, and CG's, and Hubers, and others as well.

You are looking for a safe, reliable and repeatable, 2.5LB trigger on a working gun. Your Rem 700P, is not a bench rest gun, nor is it a pure hunting rifle, it is no more or less than a stock, tactical, LEO, quasi military, general purpose, and can be used for hunting, type working rifle.

Spending more than $150. on a "benchrest" quality trigger is a waste of good $, IMHO, but putting a "good" trigger on your 700P is a worthwhile investment. Both a Timney and Rifle Basic, make triggers, that have a 2.5 LB let off and are safe and repeatable, and are easy to install yourself. And they are relativity cheap to boot.

And both are fully in keeping with with the use and purpose of the rifle you own.

You can of course, have your current trigger tuned. That will cost around $80. and you will have a crisp 2.5-3 lb factory trigger. Will that crispness last for the many thousands that your 700P can spit out before you toast your barrel?

Reports from many users say no, that crispness will not last, so YMMV.

In the end it's your money, and your choice. Find what you like, buy it, and go shooting.

Bob

Im a bit biased, but i dropped a CG trigger in a Rem 700 i have here and its purdy good. I personally like the feel of a 2 stage trigger and feel that it helped tighten up my shooting just a hair. But 2 stage triggers arent for everyone, so you may in turn not like it.

How did I end up with a 40X trigger in the 700P I just purchased? I dont see anywhere that says the Police is shipping with the X Mark Pro.

well I bought mine about 2 years ago and mine had a tag hanging around the trigger guard that said xmark pro. its not the adjustable one though. its the model before the one with the external screw

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Trey,

I don't know if we helped you at all in your quest for a trigger for your 700P.

Yes, there are lots of good triggers for a Rem 700, ranging from a Jewell w/safety for around $230., a Rifle Basic for $150, Timney for a $125 or so, or reworking and tuning a newish MKX for $80.

There are also Jards, and CG's, and Hubers, and others as well.

You are looking for a safe, reliable and repeatable, 2.5LB trigger on a working gun. Your Rem 700P, is not a bench rest gun, nor is it a pure hunting rifle, it is no more or less than a stock, tactical, LEO, quasi military, general purpose, and can be used for hunting, type working rifle.

Spending more than $150. on a "benchrest" quality trigger is a waste of good $, IMHO, but putting a "good" trigger on your 700P is a worthwhile investment. Both a Timney and Rifle Basic, make triggers, that have a 2.5 LB let off and are safe and repeatable, and are easy to install yourself. And they are relativity cheap to boot.

And both are fully in keeping with with the use and purpose of the rifle you own.

You can of course, have your current trigger tuned. That will cost around $80. and you will have a crisp 2.5-3 lb factory trigger. Will that crispness last for the many thousands that your 700P can spit out before you toast your barrel?

Reports from many users say no, that crispness will not last, so YMMV.

In the end it's your money, and your choice. Find what you like, buy it, and go shooting.

Bob

</div></div>

As you can tell I am new to this. heres about as much in depth with this rifle as I want to go:
Id like to put a mcmillan stock (a4 probably), bed the action, put a good trigger(likely a jewell), shoot hand loaded rounds.

with all this done to my 700p .308, in your previous experiences what kind of groupings would I expect to see if I were very steady and on a good rest or even in a vise? I know this may be hard to say but just looking for a ballpark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are there any local everyday stores that you can get the material you need to bed the action? </div></div>

You can skim bed the HS stock with JB Weld and Kiwi Shoe Polish of silicone spray for a release agent. Playdoh works to fill voids.

As for getting a McMillan, why not deal with the HS? Ive always actually preferred them over McMillan. The PSS fits most people pretty well.

Anyway, Id youd probably be better served with getting a new tube installed along with truing the action than a McMillan if accuracy is a top priority.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beltfed74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You can skim bed the HS stock with JB Weld and Kiwi Shoe Polish of silicone spray for a release agent. Playdoh works to fill voids.

As for getting a McMillan, why not deal with the HS? Ive always actually preferred them over McMillan. The PSS fits most people pretty well.

Anyway, Id youd probably be better served with getting a new tube installed along with truing the action than a McMillan if accuracy is a top priority. </div></div>

Well I plan to do all this stuff from now until hunting season. I figure until I can get my hands on a used mcmillan for a good deal, I was going to try my hand at skim bedding my hs stock until then. plus I'll have the practice once I do get the mcmillan. I watched a video on Youtube. seems like a pretty simple process. I was just wondering where to pick up some of that marine tex epoxy.
What all do you have to fill in with the pladoh? the trigger and magazine holes and the bolt holes? anything else?

Ok guys. I just went and picked up the acraglass kit(green box). I am going to try my first bedding job. I've read how to do it and watched a quick youtube of it. Now directions and stuff can leave off vital and useful tips. so does anyone have any tips to make things easier or anything. ]

Also do I need to remove the scope to bed it, Ive just noticed all the pics and videos I watched that the scope wasnt on it. Does this matter or can I do it with the scope still attached.

thanks for the tips

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Trey Warren</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok guys. I just went and picked up the acraglass kit(green box). I am going to try my first bedding job. I've read how to do it and watched a quick youtube of it. Now directions and stuff can leave off vital and useful tips. so does anyone have any tips to make things easier or anything. ]

Also do I need to remove the scope to bed it, Ive just noticed all the pics and videos I watched that the scope wasnt on it. Does this matter or can I do it with the scope still attached.

thanks for the tips</div></div>

Just easier when working with everything to remove the scope. You will most likely have to re-zero anyways, so make life easier on yourself if you can. Do a search....there are several good threads on self bedding.(With Pictures)

UPDATE: having a blast here. taping off everything and all holes filled with putty. When I wake up Im going to paint on the releasing agent and mix the epoxy. then let her eat. I'll post pics when I get done

Ok, last question for a while. I just adjusted the x mark trigger and got it down a little but not much. I also decided to adjust the old style rem trig on my 270. this trigger turned out awesome. can I just swap out and put the x mark on my 270 and put the old trigger on my 308 for an even swap?

thanks guys. I swapped the triggers. now the 308 is really feeling awesome. cant wait to get some custom loads and get it on the range. I must have bent a lil something or something cuz with the xmark on my 270, something is going on with the bolt release. tomorrow Im going to pull it back apart and see if I can find out whats wrong.

make sure you don't have the front pin draging on the bolt stop. That will make it act goofy every time.

yea I was working on it quickly before I left earlier. I checked that and it didnt look like it. I'll check it good tomorrow. I think I my have bent the bolt stop possibly. cuz while knocking in the front pin I hit it with the pin. Now Idk if that bent it or made a lil bur on it or what. I'll figure it out tomorrow