• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700P restock and barrel??

valhalla ss

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2007
I've got a 700P 308 that I have worked up a load with that will shoot through the same hole at 100yds (165gr Sierra Gameking SP over IMR 4064) which is amazing because I suck and have no idea what I'm doing. I got the bright idea to fill the void in the stock with 00 buckshot and 5 min epoxy, now it balances great and recoil is about zero but it's heavier than a dead preacher. I am thinking about having it restocked into a Mcmillan HTG M40 stock and having it pillar bedded, would I be wasting money doing this since it's just a plain old stock 700P? I am also wondering about having the barrel chopped from 26" to 20" to make it handle better in the woods since I hunt with this rifle too. If I had a gunsmith chop it to 20" should I have them set the barrel back to get rid of the long leade the factory builds into these or should I leave it at 26" and not piss with it since it's shooting so good? I don't have any anbitions of ever shooting it past 600 yards ever, 300 max is more common at the local range, and 200 is about it where I hunt.

Re: Rem 700P restock and barrel??

I would leave it alone. Shoot the barrel out of it then completely customize it as you wish. In short, if it broke don't fix it.

I think you should not be messing with success.

Trying to make a short field rifle out of a mid/long tac rifle is similar to endeavoring to create a sow's ear from a silk purse. The only thing that's certain is the starting point, and it's really quite good enough to leave as-is.

You want a field gun, start a lot closer, with a purpose-built factory hunting rifle. 'Lo..., and maybe even, behold..., you might just find the factory field gun is also GTG as-is.

I have a pair of R77 .280's, one's a field gun and the other is a relatively rare R77V varmint weight. I inherited them. In factory dress, each uses the same factory Hornady 139gr SST Custom hunting loads with outstanding accuracy. These 3000fps loads, BTW, are (just) capable of 1Kyd supersonic performance. There's nothing left to do but enjoy.

Just remember the true definition of a compromise. It's an agreement about which none of the parties are truly happy.

Start closer, end closer.

Greg

You guys are probably right, I thought it would be cool to have it cut to 20" I got the idea after seeing this tac ops 700p tune up here http://www.snipercentral.com/tacops700p.htm but I guess maybe I'll ditch the heavy ass H-S stock, drop it in a HTG and call it good.

Cut it to 20" if you want!

You won't loose any appreciable velocity, and may gain a little accuracy from the resulting stiffer barrel. It will handle much better too. There will be an increase in recoil with a lighter stock and barrel, but it should still be very tolerable in 308. If it is shooting accurately enough for you, the I wouldn't mess with the chamber either, don't know if it would really make any difference with a factory barrel anyway. Just shoot out the barrel and replace it when you are ready.

leave it alone if it shoots great dont touch..........shoot the barrel out, then look at making upgrades

Cutting the barrel to 20" does change the overall balance and recoil. Mine showed some accuracy gain, but gained some recoil. For me that rifle was heavy to carry hunting, putting in shot will make it worse. If any cutting is to be done 24" is about the best way to change the balance. As for the HTG stock, just finished mine and it is light without any fill in it at all. The rifle is nose heavy, and does not bother me. But I also have a #7 contour barrel to fill the void. If you have found what works stick with it.

I started out with a box stock 308win 700P and started tinkering. I had the bbl trimmed to to 22" and added an Ops Inc brake. When having the bbl work done the smith trued the action, set back the bbl and recut the chamber. The stock was swapped out for an adjustable HS Precision. Now I have swapped out the HS stock for an adjustable HTG McM.

All in all I can't say 100% if the action and barrel work was worth the extra coin but it didn't hurt anything. A Remington factory barrel is a Remington factory barrel, they are only going to be so good.

The only reason I could see swapping out the stock is for ergonomics. That's why I swapped mine out. I liked the HS but found the HTG to fit me just a little bit better.

Like mentioned above, if it works great then you might better just run it then look at rebarreling it after you shoot it out. Shortening the barrel is all up to you though. I like shorter barrels thats why mine is 22" (and maybe getting shorter soon) and my wife has a Remington 308 SPS-T (20" bbl) that's been bedded into a McM HTG with a Surefire Brake, and it's a shooter. It shoots better than mine (with the extra action & barrel work)!

I looked at having work done on my stock barrel when it only had 1000 rounds or so through it. I was going to have it cut, threaded, setback and rechambered. After I discussed the numbers with my smith, it didn't make sense to spend that much money on a factory tube. Might as well spend the extra $300 on a custom blank.

The stock is a personal preference thing.

Dont be afraid to cut it back. Id go 20 or 22. A quality stock is always worth it, and can be used later when you get the coin to fully customize your rig.