• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem 700p

xNF_9

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2009
Fargo
I recently purchased a Rem 700p. I am just wondering what some groupings other owners have had with this type of rifle? Also what are some opinions on this rifle?

Re: Rem 700p

Bought one two years ago. It had a few issues out of the box. One of the scope mounting holes had the threads buggered up, the bolt head firing pin hole is a little oversized which makes the primers on even mild loads look badly cratered, and the chamber is a little on the generous side with a little too much freebore for my tastes.

The barrel on the other hand has been simply outstanding, it doesn't shift POI at all. I've got a new match .308 barrel and when I get that chambered I'm going to set he factory barrel back a little and run in a match chamber and see just how well the factory barrel will shoot. It does solid 1/2 moa with handloads no problem now even with the sloppy chamber.

Anyhow, mine likes the 155 Scenars with a stout load of RL-15, CCI primer and I use Lapua brass. Seating is touchy with the Scenars, either into the lands or well off the lands works.

The new trigger is OK but doesn't have what I consider a real good feel. At least it adjusts down from the factory setting.

The stock is OK, I don't like the palm swell which IMO is too large. It doesn't have any fill so it sounds a but cheesy. Been thinking of drilling a couple of holes and shooting some foam in the butt.

The action is pretty true though, the timing is fine and other than maybe chasing the threads when rebarreling (haven't had the barrel off to tell if it needs it) it seems to be one of the better Remingtons dimensionally. Unlike the J-lock era actions.

Should work fine for you until you shoot out the barrel, and by that time you should have an idea about what sort of blueprinting, barrel and chamber you'll want.

Okay thanks. There has been 240 shots through the barrel, and shoots great. This is my first rifle for long range shooting and looking to improve it the best I can.

I have had mine since last march. i got it, turned around and sent it to GAP to be worked on. my round count is exactly 232 rounds according to my data book, and it shoots like a dream. i had the action and receiver blueprinted, and a Rock Creek 5r Barrel installed. i went with the remington varmint profile to keep weight down as i dont take a lot of shots in rapid succession, and i like the 26" barrels so i went that route.

I didnt have any issues at all with my rifle and it routinely outshoots me. i can usually group about .3 moa with the rifle, but others who shoot better than i do can and have bettered that with my rifle. i do not have the ability to reload at the moment so this is with factory loads. ive found the HSM with the 175 gr SMK and the HSM with the 178gr Hornady AMAX work the best, although ive also gotten good results with the HSM with 155gr Hornady AMAX and with 175gr FGMM.

hope this helps.

Paulus