• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 700SA Primary Extraction

morano

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
South Texas
I have a Rem 700 SA 308 that I picked up used. Took it out and shot it and had trouble with empty brass sticking in the chamber.
Took it home, cleaned the chamber with bore cleaner and a 20ga shotgun brass brush wrapped with fine steel wool.
Cleaned the bore while I was at it, put it all back together and took it out and shot it again.
Still had a hard time extracting fired cases.

These are my reloads that have been full length resized.
I removed the firing pin and tried the same loaded rounds in the chamber and they extract without any effort.

As the bolt is cycled on a fired case, the bolt rotates almost completely before the cam area of the bolt contacts the cam recess on the receiver.
It seems to me that this result in almost no primary extraction as the bolt is lifted and rotated.
This is a D62695XXXX series action. I've heard of the RRA series Rem 700s having primary extraction issues, but I thought this serial number range was OK.

It doesn't appear to have been set back and rechambered and yes, it is a factory barrel.
Other than coming from the factory this way, is there any other way the primary extraction has gotten out of whack?

Looking for opinions and any experience that anyone else has had with this issue.
Thanks

Yeah all Remington have this issue to some degree some worse then others. You said reloads what is you load data? Does it do the same thing with factory ammo?

Are you using brass shot from another rifle.
If so use new brass.
New rifle use new brass.
Also check extractor for any brass residue clean it out if needed.

I haven't tried factory ammo in it yet.
The reloads are a mild load to get it sighted in. Just using up some 150gr RN bullets.
Unfired rounds run in and out of the chamber show no signs of sticking.

Looks like I'll be sending it to Chad at LRI to get a few things done to it.

Thanks for the replies and information.

Id try some new brass or factory ammo or a good full length or small base size first. While some complain about the 700 factory extractor, I have not seen that many issues in normal use. While "some" rifles may need adjustment i typically find it to be a brass issue. You can also make sure the extractor did not move from location slightly somehow, and make sure it is up against the ejector and not spun out of place ? Im sure it can be corrected either way. Good Luck with it.