• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. 788 donor action$$

nobody13

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Montana
I have a change to purchase an unfired 788 for dirt cheap, $200 for rifle and scope. Is this a good donor action for a build?? Should I sell the whole thing at a profit for a different action?? Not too Familiar with the rem's.

Re: Rem. 788 donor action$$

You won't get much love on this site for the 788 as a build platform. You did get one heckuva deal on a good shootin rifle, though. $350 is about as cheap as you'll find one these days.

I have an old 788 my first centerfire, its a good gun for what it was an inexpensive hunting rifle. Mine is a .243 with a carbine length barrel. I have taken plenty of deer with it, but for a precision rig with available parts I would go a different route.

I have a 788 in 7mm-08 great rifle love it a lot. That being said however, its not one you can do a lot with like you can the 700 action. I would sell it and buy a 700 to build off of.