• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem 788 safety question.(UPDATED WITH PICS)

flopduster

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2008
South Carolina
I have a Rem 788 carbine 308 that I love and plan to turn it into my "boxstand" gun. The only problem I have with it is the safety.

It will flip off safety with very little pressure, even a brush on your clothes will flip it off. It takes much more pressure to put it back on safety.

Is there a remedy for this? I have looked at it but really don't know what to look for. My BIL has one in 243 that is the same way.

thanks

Re: Rem 788 safety question.

ID also be interested in a resolution. My 788 in 30-30 has the same infliction. I do hunt with it but am always mindful of the safety.

I'll take some pics when I go home today. maybe they will shed some light on the subject.

safety on, not fired
huntingpics057.jpg

the safety blocks the silver thingy
huntingpics058.jpg

huntingpics064.jpg

safety off unfired
huntingpics060.jpg

safety off fired
huntingpics059.jpg

its dirty, has not been out the stock in a long time.

Start by spraying some Remoil between the safety lever and the trigger housing and work it back and forth. If there is dried oil residue in there, it could prevent the ball from seating in the detent.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Start by spraying some Remoil between the safety lever and the trigger housing and work it back and forth. If there is dried oil residue in there, it could prevent the ball from seating in the detent. </div></div>

Roger that,
Without a spring loaded cover over the detent ball, what keeps the forward pin or safety lever from wearing and causing it to be loose?

The safety lever is what captures the detent ball. If it is stuck in the hole then it can't ride against the safety lever.

Poke the detent ball through the two small holes to work in the Remoil and make sure it travels freely.

I had a similar experience with a friends bolt gun except the safety would not move at all. I took the rifle apart and cleaned the 30 years worth of congealed oil off. After that, the safety was fine. I coldn't see the pictures for some reason but if it is moving but sluggishly, my bet is that it is in need of some serious cleaning. I've had several 788s and was always impressed by how well they shot. Good luck and keep us posted.

Tony