• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Rem 870 Synthetic 18" cyl.

Surgeon308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2006
Boyce,LA
www.myspace.com
Just got one of these yesterday. It's the new style with the smaller forearm. I can get mod. # off box if need be.

My dad was telling me that a person can not unscrew the magazine cap and add an extension without removing a "bump" or something on the tube. Is this true?

Also, any opinions on the Scattergun Technologies(Wilson Combat) 2 shell mag. extension? Right vs. Left vs. Stud sling mounting options?

I appreciate it.

MODS, if this topic doesn't fit, I'll move it.

Re: Rem 870 Synthetic 18" cyl.

Louis,

Just get a rather large drill bit and drill through the two "bumps". That is probably the easiest way to do it. I have the 2-shot ST extension on my 870. Good stuff. I went left side sling because I have a pistol grip stock and wanted to be able to sling across back without issues.

PM your address. I need to mail your TP shirt to you.

The two "bumps" can also be dremeled down. With either method I'd suggest plugging the mag tube with some paper towels or something. Not a big deal but it will keep you from having to clean up metal shavings that tend to fall down the tube.

The only proper way to do this is to use a tapered mandrel. Grease it lightly, insert it into the magazine, and then planish out the two detents with a hammer having a polished face.

I lathe turned my own mandrel, (threaded at one end for a large bolt to act as a handle), but you can buy this tool from Brownells.

It's a simple, two minute job, and I've done dozens of them.

Cheers... Jim

Quick question, have you verified that there are 'bumps' in the mag tube? If it's an express without a factory mag tube then the chances are that it has them. If it's a police or wingmaster then it shouldn't have them.

The Scattergun Tech. extension should work fine. The threaded 'nut' and tube are two pieces held together with silver solder. The sling mount is fixed to one side or the other.

If you aren't comforted by having a two-piece ext. you can spend an extra $20 and get a Vang Comp extension, which is machined from a single piece of metal. The sling mount is also adjustable to be on the L or R side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DuMO</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If it's a police or wingmaster then it shouldn't have them.</div></div>

My Wingmaster has the bumps - that's why the spring doesn't take my head off when I am removing the barrel.

Per the box,

"Model 870 Express Synthetic Pump Action Shotgun 18" BBL. 12 Ga. Cyl Bore" "order No 25549"

I'll take a closer look inside the tube when I get back from church.

Thanks guys.