• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem Action Cleaner discontinued - what's the closest substitute?

tiger2016

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2020
Georgia
Another casualty of Remington's demise. It was the best (in my opinion) for cleaning action parts of carbon, old lubes, etc. while evaporating quickly leaving absolutely no residue.
The SDS sheet says it's "Naphtha, hydrotreated light, 100%". I've searched high and low, and the closest sub I've been able to find is Kleen Strip VM&P Naphtha, which (according to my SDS search) is also "Naphtha, hydrotreated light, 95-100%". It's widely available; however, it only comes in a can and not an aerosol spray. I've seen some electronics cleaners that come in aerosol that contain Naphtha, but none that don't have other ingredients listed on the SDS, which could leave residue or change the properties.

Any suggestions on a replacement? And/or do you think VM&P Naphtha is indeed an exact match?

(Edit: not looking for an all-in-one like CLP, or lubes, which I have)

Not sure what is in it, but it looks like what you are looking for?

sorry im not the most educated gunsmith, so please save any negative comments, but have u tried using brake cleaner?

its what i was taught to use,

Reactions: Ravenworks
Another casualty of Remington's demise. It was the best (in my opinion) for cleaning action parts of carbon, old lubes, etc. while evaporating quickly leaving absolutely no residue.
The SDS sheet says it's "Naphtha, hydrotreated light, 100%". I've searched high and low, and the closest sub I've been able to find is Kleen Strip VM&P Naphtha, which (according to my SDS search) is also "Naphtha, hydrotreated light, 95-100%". It's widely available; however, it only comes in a can and not an aerosol spray. I've seen some electronics cleaners that come in aerosol that contain Naphtha, but none that don't have other ingredients listed on the SDS, which could leave residue or change the properties.

Any suggestions on a replacement? And/or do you think VM&P Naphtha is indeed an exact match?

(Edit: not looking for an all-in-one like CLP, or lubes, which I have)
It's still available on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Interstate-Arms-Corp-Remington-10-5-Ounce/dp/B0000C50JY

Really good stuff and yet another casualty. Everyone is gonna miss Remington before it’s over. They made good stuff and asked a reasonable price. Everything is going up up up and it’ll get to where only the sponsored pro’s can afford to shoot competitively. At least that’s how I see things unfolding with all the shortages and other things going on. Good luck and grab the stuff you like while you can everyone 👍

Reactions: tiger2016
sorry im not the most educated gunsmith, so please save any negative comments, but have u tried using brake cleaner?

its what i was taught to use,
Thanks, I've seen non-chlorinated brake cleaner recommended, and supposedly it leaves little residue (less than carb cleaner). It uses different chemicals so I'm sure sure how it compares for effectiveness, but that may be my Plan B if there's no closer substitute.

Not sure what is in it, but it looks like what you are looking for?
Thanks - I haven't seen this, but will look more into it. On first read, it says it doesn't contain any harsh chemicals, which makes it very different from Rem Action Cleaner which was all harsh chemicals :)

I wouldn't use brake cleaner on anything painted and certain rubbers/plastics it will degrade pretty badly. It can really discolor/spot lenses too. Leaves no residue but a little too aggressive IMO.

Reactions: deersniper
Non CFC brake cleaner works great for hard core cleaning, basically cheap gun scrubber, yes it will take off paint, and will dis color some plastics, I have used it for years to clean really dirty glocks after complete stripping. At one time was recommended at Glocks armorers class. It is nasty but works.

Reactions: Baron23