• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem/Age Barrel nut system on a custom build thoughts

meyersa88

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2012
Houston, TX
So I'm thinking of starting my custom build with some of the money that I'm going to make from my internship this summer. My initial thoughts were that I was going to have to spend a ton of money on gun-smithing and shipping and things like that, but then I remembered about the barrel nut system and thought to myself, why build multiple rifles at thousands of dollars a piece when I can just use one platform and have possibly 2-3 calibers or more that I run off of it.

Here is what I'm thinking for parts for my build:

Stiller Predator short action

Criterion 223 rem 1-7 twist barrel

Criterion 308 win 1-10 twist barrel

Stiller bolt for 308 barrel

AX AICS Tan

SWFA 5-20 HD scope

Nightforce 1 piece 20 MOA scope base

EGW 30 mm scope rings

Jewel Trigger

Let me know your thoughts as this would be my first custom build.

Last edited:
FYI you would need two bolts. I don't know how well the 223 would feed or vise versa?

Ya, I know, The action comes with a bolt doesn't it? And then I have the second one listed below the barrels.

The .223 and .308 are different bolt face sizes, McRee has a Rem/Age type system I believe.

Or just go with a Savage and get two bolts?

Last edited:
Looks like it should work out, just get the gauges and go for it!

Call up the guys at Benchmark and ask them what they think of the barrel nut on a Remmy. They have done quite a few and they seem to love it

WP_20130410_010.jpg

Speak of the devil. Guy from over here in Aus just posted this on another forum. Pierce action/Kreiger .260AI with a Savage-esque barrel nut setup.

Get the recoil lug pinned or use an action with and integral machined recoil lug (Surgeon, Defiance, Bighorn) I know they cost a bit more, although with the big horn you can just but a second bolt head which is much cheaper than a second bolt.*

And then all you will need is a barrel vice and torque wrench.*

Just noticed the stiller comes pinned, $950 for the action and $500 for a second bolt = $1400

Defiance Deviant has an integral 20MOA scope base and recoil lug, $1330 for the action and $350 for a second bolt = $1680

Surgeon is $1395 although there is a long wait (8 months) I don't know the cost of a second bolt (I would imagine $400-$600) so potentially a total of $2K

Finally Bighorn $1250 for the action and like I mentioned earlier you only need to change the bolt head which only costs $125 so a total of $1375

I am surprised at the cost of a second bolt for a stiller and although plenty of boom sticks have stiller's I don't rate their Remington clones as highly as the other 3, don't get me wrong some of their benchrest actions have done wonderful things.*

I have all three of my Rem 700's set up with the McRee Rem-Age kit using a Broughton and (2) Criterion barrels - all the accuracy you'll ever need. Calibers are a .260 Rem and (2) .308's.

I just finished doing the barrel nut thing (Rem-Age) to one of my LR pistols. It's a Remington XP-100 but the lug and barrel nut will be similar to what you're wanting. I had to notch the action for the recoil lug. I know you mentioned a custom action but the Savage Target Action is really a good action, I have a LR pistol built on one of those also. Not as sexy when you brag to your buddies about your new gun but as far as accuracy it won't be outclassed.

Here is a link to some pictures of some of the steps it took to putting it together.

Rem-Age style barrel on my XP-100

Topstrap

Slight thread hijack....

If you had an action with a pinned lug and a traditional barrel, would there be a problem with having a second barrel that was a remage?

In other words a switch barrel. One fitted by a smith and and one a criterion