• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem-age VS Savage

Pbailey

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Oregon
I've got to make a decision, I have a Remington 700 long action originally in 270 and a Savage 110 originally in 22-250 and I want to start a build. Im only going to be able to do one of them, and I am planning on using the drop in barrels from criterion. This build will either be a 20" 260 or a 24" 284....any input on which I should go with?

I do have experience building a Savage, but the Remington should be similar with the Rem-age barrel nut system.

Thank you

Re: Rem-age VS Savage

What are your plans for use? They would both be neat to have but, for totally different purposes.

Pretty much a deer gun. I want to be able to shoot some distance with it, but I am not looking for a 1,000 yard rifle by any means. I have a heavy barreled and heavy stocked 260 that I built over the winter and now looking for something a bit lighter to pack around.

Which Criterion barrel contour are you looking at? Nearly all the ones in stock at NSS are far too fat for anything resembling lightweight or well balanced. I'd check out the Shilen offerings from NSS as well.
I wouldn't go with a contour any larger than a #3 sporter. A #2 is even better. I'd also go 24" with either cartridge you mentioned.

Definitely the Savage. Primarily because I wouldn't do a barrel nut on a 700.

Rem-Age gives you the "best of both worlds": ease of DIY barrel swaps with the bolt smoothness and aftermarket of the M700 action.

A 20" 1:8 CBI Heavy Sporter would be perfect for a 260 hunting rifle...either as a Savage prefit or as a Rem-Age barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem-Age gives you the "best of both worlds": ease of DIY barrel swaps with the bolt smoothness and aftermarket of the M700 action.

A 20" 1:8 CBI Heavy Sporter would be perfect for a 260 hunting rifle...either as a Savage prefit or as a Rem-Age barrel. </div></div>

There is your answer.

the 284 is a barrel burner just my opion whats the twist?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rem-Age gives you the "best of both worlds": ease of DIY barrel swaps with the bolt smoothness and aftermarket of the M700 action.

A 20" 1:8 CBI Heavy Sporter would be perfect for a 260 hunting rifle...either as a Savage prefit or as a Rem-Age barrel. </div></div>

Agreed. I have 2 Savages, 2 Remingtons, a Stller, and a Bighorn. I love the fact that I can swap barrels on the Savages when I want, but the action leaves more to desire. One of my Rems is in the process of becoming a rem-age hunting rifle right now. I ordered a rem-age barrel from NSS in a 18" light varmint contour and Jim said it would roughly be 14 weeks for the barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneck from GA.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the 284 is a barrel burner just my opion whats the twist? </div></div>

How many rounds did you get out of your 284 before you started to see your groups open up?

Others have reported 3000 rounds and still maintain acceptable accuracy.