• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem Barrel with gouged lands

xs hedspace

hippie redneck geezer
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2005
Bearsville, NY
Spent half a day bedding, crowning, and trigger tuning a new Rem 700 .223 for a friend. Then I looked into the barrel with the Hawkeye scope. AAArgh! Two of the lands have a scrape about 2" long, that reduces the width of the lands to about 1/2 normal. At first, I thought, well, it's near the chamber, so the bullet will have the rest of the 26" barrel to reseat. Then I thought, this will cause blowby of the hot gases, gouge out more steel, foul up the barrel, etc. How does Rem deal with this sort of return for repairs? Anybody have experiences with Rem on replacing a barrel??

Re: Rem Barrel with gouged lands

I had a brand new XCR Tactical in 308 that looked like someone drove a piece of rebar down the barrel. They replaced the whole rifle and in a timely manner. That was probably 4-5 years ago.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a brand new XCR Tactical in 308 that looked like someone drove a piece of rebar down the barrel. They replaced the whole rifle and in a timely manner. That was probably 4-5 years ago. </div></div>

Dawg throat job maybe?
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a brand new XCR Tactical in 308 that looked like someone drove a piece of rebar down the barrel. They replaced the whole rifle and in a timely manner. That was probably 4-5 years ago. </div></div>

Dawg throat job maybe?
smile.gif
</div></div>

Lol could be. Was about 6" in from the muzzle.

Think less, shoot more.

Honestly, you won't know if you have a problem (i.e., the rifle won't respond to load development, etc., ...) until somebody shoots the darned thing. In order to fix a problem, you first need to have one.

Borescopes are remarkable tools, but they won't tell you how a barrel will shoot. Only shooting it will tell you that.

I've seen the most gawdawful things inside the bores of rifles I danged well know can shoot better than I can. Don't go looking for trouble; more than enough of it will find you anyway.

You didn't harm the barrel, and there's not much of anything you can do to it to make it better. Let the owner decide whether or not the rifle works to his own satisfaction.

Smile, give the rifle back to your friend, and wish him the best fortune with it. Misgivings on your part will only plant the seeds of insecurity. If there's a problem, he'll tell you, and if there isn't, you haven't undermined his confidence in his own rifle and in your work.

Greg

Well, I went to the range already with it, and some Black Hills 55 gr, and after 8-10 shots the groups opened up to 1 1/2" from 3 shots touching. I'll let him try it, but my honest nature will let him know about the damage. It's like two lands went to 1/2 of the normal width for about 2", and then went back to normal. This same friend has a well used 6 mm Rem 700 that the barrel looks like a blacktop driveway, and the bolt wear looks like a warped action, but still shoots 1/2 MOA. Only The Shadow knows....only us geezers would remember that one, Greg!

<span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Borescopes are remarkable tools, but they won't tell you how a barrel will shoot. Only shooting it will tell you that.</div></div></span>
</span>
bowdown.gif

I would expect some pushback if you did work on the barrel (crowned it) and now expect them to replace it under warranty. If your friend goes that route, please let us know the outcome.

You maybe right on that, even though the gouge is back by the chamber end. I used a Brownells crowning cutter, with a .22 pilot, with moly grease on the pilot rod, so no damage to lands near the muzzle, no lathe work needed. The tool worked nicely on my Palma and F-class rifles(different pilots), so no flames, please, from you "indicate both ends to .0001" folks.

I had a remington factory 308 barrel with a gouge/pit about 3" ahead of the chamber. Still shot .7 moa or slightly better, but I never could get great velocity out of it. Couldn't get a 175 SMK or 178 amax to stay supersonic at 1k. Otherwise, it was a very serviceable 900 yard gun.
CW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: xs hedspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent half a day bedding, crowning, and trigger tuning a new Rem 700 .223 for a friend. Then I looked into the barrel with the Hawkeye scope. AAArgh! Two of the lands have a scrape about 2" long, that reduces the width of the lands to about 1/2 normal. At first, I thought, well, it's near the chamber, so the bullet will have the rest of the 26" barrel to reseat. Then I thought, this will cause blowby of the hot gases, gouge out more steel, foul up the barrel, etc. How does Rem deal with this sort of return for repairs? Anybody have experiences with Rem on replacing a barrel?? </div></div>

Yep, once you make your mark on it you are on your own. The issues you are concerned with are not issues and will not happen. The throat and muzzle end will wear out long before the rifling erode from leakage past bullets.

xs;

OK, now you know. There is a potential problem. At this point, there's no sense in holding back whatever you <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> about the barrel.

But again, what you did should only be seen as positive. It's a shame you did so much before getting a chance to use the borescope, but some days, life is <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> way.

I would pursue a warrantee claim, but explain to Rem that you did the work before the rifling blemish became apparent. I don't think there would be much point in trying to recover anything for the work you did, but a barrel replacement should not be an unreasonable request since the work you did would not be a likely cause for the original rifling blemish. It shouldn't hurt to ask. If they say "no", then the answer is "no"; but at least you tried.

Greg

Thanks for all the helpful advice, y'all. My friend will be picking up the rifle today, and the proof will be in the targets. Next time, I'll borescope the rifle BEFORE I put work into it!

Well, after a few shots, the accuracy still goes to hell. My friend shoots with a retired Rem armorer instructor up in Cooperstown area, so the Rem guy maybe can advise how to get Rem to replace the barrel.