• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem model 7 help, j-lock, bbl contour, mag boxes,

burneyr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2006
N. Florida
Trying to find a replacement firing pin assembly to dump a j-locked one. I have found countless manufacturers for the 700, but none for the 7. Any source other than Remington?

Can anyone identify the barrel contour of a non-magnum Model 7? I've found no luck searching.

Also, do the magazines and followers interchange between the 700 and the 7? It appears that only the rear bridge is the shorter dimension between the two actions.

And last, can a Model 7 be trued by a gunsmith with the same tooling for 700's?

Thanks for any assistance!
-burney

Re: Rem model 7 help, j-lock, bbl contour, mag boxes,

If I'm not mistaken, the model 7 and xp-100 parts are interchangable. And thus: Here

Re: Rem model 7 help, j-lock, bbl contour, mag boxes,

The difference between the two is the length of the firing pin. Remove the pin from a 700 assembly and just shorten it and redrill the retaining pin hole for the cocking piece. The mags and followers are the same, I just finished truing up a model 7, it is no different in that sense.

Re: Rem model 7 help, j-lock, bbl contour, mag box

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gundoktr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The difference between the two is the length of the firing pin. Remove the pin from a 700 assembly and just shorten it and redrill the retaining pin hole for the cocking piece. The mags and followers are the same, I just finished truing up a model 7, it is no different in that sense. </div></div>

The Model 7 bolt shroud is different too........

Thanks guys, on the road to getting this squared away.

-burney

The 7 is only 1/2 inch shorter in the action, the mags and followers will work from a 700.