• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem or Savage

xjjeeperx

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
Johnson City. TN
I tried to run a search as I'm sure this has come up before, but no luck. I've been thinking on getting a Rem 700 SPS tactical, I've seen them in action and they shoot well out of the box from what I've seen. I've also been looking at the 10 FCP McMillan, from Savage. The price tag is a little higher on the Savage but I have not fired one of those before. Which one is better out of the box, is there an advantage over either brand? I'd like to hear comments or suggestions from you guys with experience on where to put the money. Pros and cons.

Re: Rem or Savage

I think the floating bolt head design on the savage makes it a no brainer. If you haven't seen the info on it take a trip to savage arms website and look under the accuracy tab. That with the McMillan stock makes it a no brainer if you ask me. If I would have had the money I would have gotten one myself. And if you have doubts about savage accuracy look at my post in the Rifles section about my $360.00 savage with non matchgrade ammo.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

i have nothing but remington's right now' but i have owned savages and if i had to start all over with one rifle i would get the savage they are extremely accurate , have a over sized bolt knob and u can change barrels out your self, they only thing they have against them is there cheesy stocks but your getting one with the McMillan so your good to go there..if u buy the Remington your going to have to buy a new stock $250 or more, get a tactical bolt knob $75 or more and maybe get it trued up bc i have had Remy's that were shooters out of the box and i have had some that wouldn't shoot for shit,but every savage I've owned was a good to go other then finding what kind of ammo it liked so i would say savage is your best bet just my opinion chaz

I think the design of a Savage is very good and they are known to be extremely accurate: great value. That said, I own all Remingtons now: no other action has more accessories and gunsmiths that know it inside and out. Many "custom" actions are based on the Remington because it is also extremely accurate and easy to work on. Both choices are great.

Savage has a new offering coming out or it may actually be out that great things are being said about..Comes standard with accustock,accutrigger,adjustable comb,muzzle brake which can be turned on or off,and fluted barrel. All the big boy bells and whistles for an MSRP of under 650.00..I'm waiting to get my hands on one,if it only came LEFTY..I believe it's called the Model 111 LONG RANGE HUNTER..

All the Savage rifles I've shot have been accurate right out of the box. Rem. 700 would come in close 2nd tho with a smooth action and a little lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All the big boy bells and whistles for an MSRP of under 650.00..I'm waiting to get my hands on one,if it only came LEFTY..I believe it's called the Model 111 LONG RANGE HUNTER..</div></div>

Are you serious Under $650! I will be keeping an eye out for that one. The one I was looking at was around $1500. Thanks for the heads up!

The article I read shows a suggested retail-664.00..Finally found an article in Shooting Times on the rifle..It's December/January edition..

I had a rem700 and the barrel would walk as it got warmer. Vertical steaming from center to top right corner.

Not sure as to why the difference?? Maybe they do that so when you get it for less your even more happy with your decision..LOL I own a couple different Savage rifles and the "do it yourself switch barrel" is awesome..I purchased a model 110 a few years back and currently have barrels in .264 win mag,.300 win mag,.458 win mag..Liked the idea so much changed my 700 remy to a switch barrel with the barrel nut system similar to Savages..Good luck with your decision..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe they do that so when you get it for less your even more happy with your decision</div></div>

That would put a smile on my face! So are you saying you can have a gun in one caliber and switch the barrel out to a different cal on the Savage?

Savage.....

SAVAGE.....

Savage.....

Pop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BULLET SPONGE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100% Savage. </div></div>

+1, Cant beat them for the money!!!

I have owned many of both in many diffrent configurations, and have nothing bad to say about eighter. If you had to choose get the savage w/ the mcmillan. Every savage I have owned were able to acheive 1/2 moa at short range 300 yds and under. The remingtons have been hit or miss some great and some well not so great. The stocks are not even worth thinking about, if you bought the remington and it shot well you will be looking for a mcmillan to put it in. I am diehard remington fan but I have to say SAVAGE. Good Luck

Yes changing the barrels is a piece of cake to do..You need a couple tools but nothing to outrageous..If you decide to go to a caliber with a different case head size you can even change the bolt face yourself..I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this because I'm sure there are better barrel builders but I've had incredible luck with ER SHAW aftermarket barrels..

"I've also been looking at the 10 FCP McMillan, from Savage"

If you are looking at the McMillan for it's design shape that a personal choice, if not you need to shoot a 10 with the AccuStock first, it's inherent accuracy is scary compared to the "other three stock makers".

i have had both and they are excelent shooters, now i only got rem. sold the savage because i want it aics stock and at that time aics didnt have a model coming out..now they do and i wich i didnt sold it.
remmy had more aftermarket parts thought.

They both are about the same in accuracy other than the Mc Millan stock is better than the hogue but your are paying for it. You could also look at the SPSV which is cheaper than both and find a decent after market stock and come out money ahead.
In the last couple of years I have put the 2 rifles to the test. The SPSV cost be $360 and the 10FCP cost me $650. I can say this, out of the box the Remington shot way better and continues to edge out better accuracy over the Savage.

Is my Rem a better rifle than the Savage? Is my Savage a better rifle than the Remington?

IMHO it's just a coin flip. Contrary to what is posted here and in other forums one is not considerably better than the other at least in my experiences. Fed and driven properly they both can hold their own. This comes from actually being able to shoot both of them side by side once or twice a week for a long time.

The higher price on the Savage is due to the stock. In my opinion , the Mcmillan stock on the Savage is a much better stock than the one on the SPS. If you want to compare apples to apples, the Remington SPS is comparable to the Savage 10 FP.(does not have the accustock)
I've been doing some Savage vs Rem. research myself, and they seem to be neck and neck. If you If you go with the SPS, you'll probably want to change the stock. If you go with the Savage FCP Mcmillan, youre already there.

Thanks for all the input guys. I believe I will go with the Savage. Now gotta f ind the right optics.
smile.gif