• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem oversized recoil lug on a Savage?

TW159

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Aumsville, Or
I have a Remington over sized recoil lug sitting around from another project and was wondering if it would work on my Savage. I test fit it on an old Savage barrel and it seems a little loose on the shank. Will this matter? the barrel nut should allow for the extra thickness, right?

Any help on this is appreciated.
Thanks
TW

Re: Rem oversized recoil lug on a Savage?

If it's loose on the shank it won't serve any useful purpose for being there. Even when fully torqued down.

My advice is get one made for the Savage barrel you have. They only cost $20-$40. It'll make a world of difference.

I had it so I thought I'd try it. I'll probably just leave it the way it is for now.

Thanks
TW

there are a few places that sell oversized lugs for savage. SSS is what i got from the classifieds here. try midway or brownells

SSS makes a pretty good one... But go with Jim @ Northland shooting supply. His are the best I have seen. (763) 682-4296

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS makes a pretty good one... But go with Jim @ Northland shooting supply. His are the best I have seen. (763) 682-4296</div></div>

That's the one I got when I got my barrel from him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SSS makes a pretty good one... But go with Jim @ Northland shooting supply. His are the best I have seen. (763) 682-4296</div></div>

That's the one I got when I got my barrel from him. </div></div>

Same here. Very happy with it. Going to order 2 more soon. I try to avoid SSS if at all possible but have had and heard many positive experiences with NSS