• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM. SPS Tactical

JRB

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2004
Western NC
I am thinking about buying a Remington SPS Tactical in 223. Any info on this rifle would be appreciated.

Re: REM. SPS Tactical

good gun in factory form, ditch the stock and replace with something more rigid and it's a great gun, when you shoot the barrel out have it trued and put a quality barrel on and it's an excellent gun

I love mine in .223. Ditched the factory Hogue stock for a MCM A5.

I just bought my wife an SPS-T in a .308 yesterday and have a McM Urban Camo HTG/M40A1 on order for it. Should make a good rig for her.

So far (and I've yet to put 100 rounds down the tube) mine seems to like Hornady 68gr BTHP with 25.5gr of Varget at 2.280" with a CCI primer in once-fired Winchester brass that I picked up from the range. For 5 shots it went into .433 at 100. Have yet to take the rifle past there though.

i have the .308 Tactical version of the SPS,.. great gun for the money.
like others have said replace the stock if you want to,. i wanted to use a bi-pod so the Houge had to go as it was a bit too soft up front, i went with an adjustable B&C tactical stock.

My sps-t .223 likes 75gr Amax bullets run long. Single load only long at 2.455 with 24.3 gr IMR 4895. I have taken these out to 1K with success, but they are lethal at 600yd. Because the barrel is just 1:9 twist, they need to be run hard to stabilize. Varget should do great as well. Start low and work up.
69 smk's work great as well, just not as good past 500.
YMMV-Rob

My fiance has one in .308 and with Fed GMM she can put 5 shots into just a hair over .5MOA @ 100 yards with it. As has been said in this thread too, the stock is floppy and probably doesn't help consistency.