• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem. SPS Varmint 1st time out.

PBRACEGUNS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 11, 2009
Central Alabama
Finally got to the range yesterday for zeroing and initial testing.
Still in the tupperware stock shooting off bags. FGMM 168's @ 100 yds. after initial zero, cleaning after every 5 for the 1st 20 rounds . 1st 2 5 shot groups were .561" and .513" respectively. Using a Bushnell 10x40 mil-mil scope from Midway. (The one they have on sale now for $199.00) on a 20moa weaver base with Warne rings. Not real thrilled with the X-Mark trigger.Turned it down as far as it would go( about 3lbs.) but it does break clean.
Not too shabby with the cheesy stock. New A5 stock will be on the way next week, and maybe aa Timney trigger too.
We were looking at the bore with the bore scope and I thought something looked different about it. I don't know if it's common but this thing has a 5R rifled barrel on it. We verified that comparing it to a new Bartelien 5r barrel waiting to be installed on a new 260. No doubt about the rifling. Is it really uncommon to get a SPS varmint with 5R rifling. I had heard someone mention they got one also. I don't think that is the normal barrel used on the SPS line.
I think she will be a real good shooter once in a new stock.
Going to shoot Hardrock next weekend so I'll work out the dope on it at 600, 800, 900, & 1000 on practice day.

Re: Rem. SPS Varmint 1st time out.

No it is not uncommon, that model rifle is a great base for a build rifle. It is where the SPS police model originated from, you will be really shocked once you drop it in a good chasis.

Where did you pick up your sps varmint? Is 5r standard on newers ones then?

Dicks Sporting Goods or Bass Pro or Gander Mountain, one of them always has a sale that piggy backs Remington's rebate.