• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REM700 Bolt Turned Down To .670"

Silent-2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 20, 2021
Vero Beach, FL
I recently purchased a REM 700 in .223, mainly because I wanted the Steiner P4Xi optic that was mounted on it. I am an 07FFL and have been smithing the REM700 for many years. When I disassembled the rifle when it upon arrival, I found several things that were unusual to me. The barrel is a heavy MTU profile, 24 inches long with a very aggressive crown-maybe 30 degrees. The bolt face has an insert and the firing pin has been turned down to .062". The mod that I have not seen before is the bolt body forward of the locking lugs has been turned down to .670". The counterbore in the barrel fits it snuggly. Is this a common modification in the F-T/R world? I suspect that the barreled action was an F-Class project that either lost funding or ended up in a trust. The workmanship on it is fantastic but the rest of the rifle was junk parts. The headspace checks out so I put it in an XLR chassis and am taking it to the range today. Any info on the .670" turndown will be appreciated. THANKS and Happy Easter!!

Reactions: fdkay
Steve Kostanich is a fantastic BR gunsmith. Here's what he has to say about it. Item #7.
20230409_093434.jpg

I've heard this is done on smaller cartridges in fclass, like 223, so they can be single fed reliably. If the bolt nose is reduced, then also the bolt nose recess is also done. When fed from a single shot sled, the reduced diameter helps feed the nose of the bullet up, rather than going straight and jamming.

I've never seen one in person, but heard Multiple times that this is a done thing.

You're thinking of a coned breech. Turning the bolt nose down is simply part of the truing process, and not much material is actually taken off. Notice in the photo that is not a 100% cleanup pass.

20230410_074101.jpg

Reactions: iceng
BTW, the work doesn't look anything like it did back in 1999. This rifle has had thousands of rounds through it in some really dirty conditions.