• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rem700 Ejector Pin Stuck

Strickland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
Mansfield, Texas
My ejector pin on my Rem700 is stuck flush to the face of the bolt. Brass shavings.

I can't press it in any further and I don't have anything small enough to punch the retaining pin out.

Any ideas? Tricks of the trade?

Re: Rem700 Ejector Pin Stuck

Soak it in Barnes, Sweets or your favorite copper solvent. Try tapping / bumping the bolt face down on your work bench or wood as well after it's been soaking for 15 to 20 minutes. If it's still stuck, repeat above. Once the obstruction is loose it'll release. Once broken free, completely dissemble and clean.

That sounds(ed) like a great idea. So I jump out to the garage to look for my bottle of Sweets....

No friggin clue where it is....
frown.gif
It's not in my two spots for rifle cleaning stuff. Must have gotten lost in the move.

Just damn. Might have to go pick some up tomorrow.

Thanks

Shooters Choice, Butches Bore Shine, Hoppes #9.........try what ever you have.

I found my bottle of Sweets. It's soaking in that right now. I also have an appointment with a gunsmith this evening. I am not optimistic when he replies to my description with "doesn't look good"...

I had this happen with my Savage. I pushed the retaining roll pin out of the ejector assembly and soaked the face with WipeOut. and stuck it nose down in a tupperware container and snapped the lid on.

I ended up taking an electra-stencil vibratory engraver and buzzing the pin lightly until it popped out. It soaked in the WipeOut overnight and tapping didn't work.

The bolt face has been soaking in Sweets all morning. However, I have been thinking. Sweets is a copper solvent. It's brass shavings that are keeping the pin down.

Not sure if this is doing any good or not.

Is the cross pin still in? If so drive it out. The solvent won’t hurt.

You had to start some where. With the pin out see if the plunger will move any. If it'll push in and spring back out slightly push it back in and let it spring out quickly, even if it travels a short distance. It's just a case of working it to help clear the obstruction.

Yeah, cross pin is still in. I don't have anything small enough to remove it. That's why I am taking it to the g-smith tonight. Right now, the face of the pin is just ever so slightly below the surface of the face of the bolt.

I'm debating whether it would hurt anything to go ahead and shoot the comp on saturday with it like this. I can't think of why not, plus the comp is a f-class style with 20 rounds in 20 minutes. Having to dig the round out shouldn't be too much of a hindrance.

One of the guys here gave me this tip which worked: Take a moderate sized flat faced punch and tap on the ejector from the front of the bolt. Many light taps. It should pop out on its own. Worked for me. JMHO