• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 firing pin does not lock back

2_many_dogs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 8, 2006
Chatham County, NC
I ran into an issue at a match today with my Remington 700 when I cycle the bolt quickly - the next round is fed correctly into the chamber but the firing pin does not lock back - the firing pin is down on a loaded round so I must recock the firing pin to fire.

I use an old style factory trigger - before the x-mark pro. The weight is set to 3.5 pounds. It's a used trigger of unknown provenance i got from a local smith. the action is new, trued by the same smith.

I cannot reproduce this reliably. Trigger weight is still 3.5 pounds but I thought I felt it go light for a few shots during the match.

My current leading suspect is the trigger is worn. Anyone have a similar problem? What was the fix?

Thanks, guys.

The spring under the sear may be too weak and not putting enough upward pressure. Also I had an older Remington trigger do the same. Trigger was 30ish years old and full of gunk that would lock it up occasionally. Took it apart and sprayed it clean and it worked again. If you have a punch set and feel confident pulling the trigger out id look at those two things.

Flush trigger with lighter fluid, repeat.

If that doesn't work, see another 'smith.

Make sure it slides freely ( not binding or dragging) .

some of the triggers have a sight hole in the side plates where you can see the sear engagement, or lack thereof in your case. Lighter fluid might fix it, if not, new springs.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I flushed out the trigger body and readjusted the trigger. The trigger pull weight adjustment doesn't seem to have any affect on pull weight, but with sear engagement and over travel set, it comes to a reasonable 2.5 pounds. Range time next weekend - hope it works.