• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 in 308 not feeding well

turnerdye1

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2018
I’ve got a Rem700 G2 in 308 that isn’t feeding well. It originally came with the factory bottom metal with an internal box magazine. Even then it did not feed well and was hit or miss.

So I decided to do a DIY inletting job on it. I know I know… Im one of those guys. I used a drill press and a 3/8 end mill. I fitted in a Bergara HMR factory bottom metal that takes detachable AICS box mags.

I got the inlet done and the box mag fit into the inlet job pretty well. Bolted the HMR bottom metal in just fine with no issues and everything looked good.

Began to test feed rounds into the gun and began to have bolt over ride issues. These mags work just fine in a different AICS gun I have so I’m not sure what’s causing this.

I took the action apart and removed approx 1/16” off the rear action pillar to try and put the rear of the mag up a little higher to get better contact between the bolt and loaded rounds. Still didn’t appear to help much.

This photo is of the magazine inserted and hanging under loaded weighted. Most rounds get good contact but after 3-4 rounds the override issues come up again.
The second photo is with the magazine full inserted and held in the up most position.

Like mentioned I’m kind of lost at this point. In my other Bergara action these mags feed just fine. But now they are having over ride issues so I’m not if it’s my inlet job, the action itself, or the mags.

I’ve looked into the MPA adjustable mag catch that may help my issue. But I haven’t heard back from them as far as compatibility with Bergara DBM bottom metals. Hasn’t anyone tried using one?

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 05ED1C8C-6382-446D-888E-06CC4A18E26A.jpeg
    05ED1C8C-6382-446D-888E-06CC4A18E26A.jpeg
    351.8 KB · Views: 70
  • C6ED8C62-487F-4164-A5CF-AE14538B495D.jpeg
    C6ED8C62-487F-4164-A5CF-AE14538B495D.jpeg
    479.4 KB · Views: 72
The mag is sitting too low, if you can find a longer mag catch, it will hold it up where you want it, like in the second picture. The other option would be inletting the bottom metal deeper. If the bottom metal is already flush with the stock, I would make a new mag catch to avoid that puckered up look of a bottom metal that sits too deep.

Use slave pillars (without the stock obviously) to determine the correct depth by shortening them a little at a time. Match inlet to that depth. If the correct depth leads to an interference with the bottom of the action, make a longer latch

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Use slave pillars (without the stock obviously) to determine the correct depth by shortening them a little at a time. Match inlet to that depth. If the correct depth leads to an interference with the bottom of the action, make a longer latch

Appreciate it! Did some more measuring and I’ve gotta take the inlet in 60/1000ths in the front and rear. Then I’m gonna epoxy bed everything