• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 trigger advise.

MacMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2009
USA
Any recomendations for an after market trigger for a short action Rem700.Timney,Jewell,Shilen?Rifle is 20" suppressed tactical setup.Chassis has not been chosen.
Thank you!

Re: Rem700 trigger advise.

Buds can you give us a little more info on that trigger?

Huber looks pretty nice!Also looked at Timney tactical trigger however it was only 2-8oz with no saftey.I would prefer a saftey.Thanks guys!

Unless it is a X-mark trigger, have a competent gunsmith work on the original trigger--not just adjust it, but hone some of the surfaces and really "tune" it. Mine is as good as any other trigger I've ever felt.

how difficult is the X-mark to work on?

Another one that is not in this thread is the Jewel trigger. What are peoples experiences with them?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chiller</div><div class="ubbcode-body">how difficult is the X-mark to work on?

Another one that is not in this thread is the Jewel trigger. What are peoples experiences with them? </div></div>

They are not easy to work on if you want them to be no creep and little to no over travel. The no over travel part is really the big problem because the over travel set screw is joined to the safety mechanism. If you set the set screw to no over travel then you can not operate the safety. Also the X-mark has a tendency to creep in terms of pull weight. After using for a while the weight will increase even though the trigger set screws have not moved. Pull weight for some of the triggers I have worked with do not have the same pull weight if you close the bolt with varying force; cycle bolt, fire, cycle bolt, put into safe, take off safe, fire; do the bounce test to test safety of rifle. For me the shilen is much more consistent; I can eliminate over travel without bothering the safety. Pull weight does not creep up eventually like the X-mark.

I have a timney trigger in my 308 and love it.

go timney you wont be sorry.

Reading though the Huber. What can you tell me about them? If you are looking for something that will take the rough and tumble. would also like something without serious fussy factor. They make reference to a magnetic trigger? Would you go SS?

Jewell triggers are fantastic. Very adjustable and able to give you a wide range of trigger pull weights. I use them alot in my bench rigs. Zero problems.