• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rem700 trigger

halon101

Private
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
inland empire, ca
i am building my first custom bolt gun for long range shooting. i have a pheonix machine action, and just bought a mcree precision stock. have decided on a barrel and now am shopping triggers. anyone have any ideas?what is everyone using?

Re: rem700 trigger

Just picked up a Timney 510

Crisp clean break.

Easy to adjust.

Afforadable.

only have experience witha REM 700 SPS trigger. I love it for a factory trigger. its adjustable and gets down pretty low. i think im at 2-3 lbs. It has much more travel so i think it could almost be adjusted down to the ounces.

A factory rem trigger shouldn't be lowered below 2#. I've seen too many people try to lower it below that and end up with problems. Just 2 weeks ago while shooting P-Dogs my buddys 22-250 started firing when he took it off safe. NOT A SAFE THING TO HAVE HAPPEN!!! If you want to go light spend the money on an aftermarket.

i am going after market. the entire rifle is built bt other people not remington. its a remington by design nothing more.
i was thinking timney because they are affordable. but not 100%
i know there are more expensive triggers on the market

i was thinking about going as light as 1#

Jewell.... spendy but worth every penny

I am going through the same process. I am looking at the jewell now after someone on here suggested it to me. I have the SPS and I lowered it down to 1.12 lbs. It is good, but I like lighter. I would like to have a trigger at 6-8 oz.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
i was thinking about going as light as 1# </div></div>

There is absolutely no need for a 1 lb trigger on a tactical rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is absolutely no need for a 1 lb trigger on a tactical rifle. </div></div>

its not a tactical rifle. i shoot steel plates in the desert.
tactical rifles do go that light for safety.

I have had good luck w/ Timney. One on a 7 Remmy at 2# and one on a 280Ackley at 1.5#, both ordered and set from the factory. I have an older Remmy trigger (early 70's model) set to 40oz by a competant smith and it's like glass. Like it as well. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is absolutely no need for a 1 lb trigger on a tactical rifle. </div></div>

its not a tactical rifle. i shoot steel plates in the desert.
tactical rifles do go that light for safety. </div></div>
how does a lighter trigger make a rifle safer?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: halon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">its not a tactical rifle. i shoot steel plates in the desert.
tactical rifles do go that light for safety. </div></div>

Oh, sorry then. Disregard my comments. I don't generally know what I am talking about anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pinkMiST aG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jewell.... spendy but worth every penny</div></div>

Agree completely. When you spend the money for a custom or even semi-custom rifle why not spring for the extra $75.00 or so for the best trigger you can get. I'm spoiled on Jewell triggers.

That said though, there's nothing wrong with Timneys or the old remington factory triggers tuned by someone competent.

I've heard the Rifle Basix are OK as well but I've never touched one so couldn't say.

I had a Jewell break on me, twice. The first time was at a tactical match, and it was annoying as hell. I'd started the day with bad dope on my PDA and couldn't hit shit, then I figured it out and was whacking steel when..... not even a click. Team DNF has a new member.
Took the rifle out of the stock and the sear was broken in half, about midway between the pins. Sent it to Jewell, who repaired it and stated that the sear broke due to overpressure rounds. When I called them to ask how this works, the reply was basically "We dunno, but it's not our fault." About 100 rounds later it stopped working again, so back to Jewell it went. They replaced a spring, and sent it back no charge- I'm guessing they just missed it first time through. The trigger is in my varmint rifle now,and my match rifle has a stock Rem trigger set by me. Works every time.
SO: Who can explain how high-pressure loads hurt the sear? Once it's tripped, it's passive and plays no part in firing or recoil management. I really like the trigger (I've got one in an AR also and like it as well) but I'm baffled as to why it broke.
I've got some Rifle Basix and Timney triggers in different rifles too. They work well and are half the price.

1911fan

You won't ever see me put a jewell in a rifle that I need to go bang every time. I spoke with another LEO who had an AD on a live scene. He had witnesses that his finger was nowhere near the trigger. The trigger was professionally installed by a well known shop. When it came back from Jewell their response was it was dirty and the springs were weak. They blamed it on backpressure from he suppressor. I am not real sure how that works when we are talking about a bolt gun.

[ [/quote]
how does a lighter trigger make a rifle safer? [/quote]

i meant to say dont not do sorry.

tactical rifles DONT go that light for safety.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You won't ever see me put a jewell in a rifle that I need to go bang every time. I spoke with another LEO who had an AD on a live scene. He had witnesses that his finger was nowhere near the trigger. The trigger was professionally installed by a well known shop. When it came back from Jewell their response was it was dirty and the springs were weak. They blamed it on backpressure from he suppressor. I am not real sure how that works when we are talking about a bolt gun. </div></div>

I'm not putting you on the spot light or anything, but how many rounds did he shoot aftr the installation? You should annualy check your triggers and make sure the sear won't shoot when the trigger isn't pulled and so on.

I am sure he thoroughly evaluated the rifle prior to placing it in service.

Keep in mind it was in the rifle and used long enough to accumulate dirt and apparently wear out the springs.
wink.gif

Don't use a Jewell in a LE rifle.

Timney all the way for me, great price and I have had only great results I also have a Jewell and am sorry to here the bad responses here about them, mine has had no problems but neither has been put in the adverse conditions of sand just dust, mud, and dirt!