• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rem700 vs FN SPR

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
There's been discussion lately about which action is 'better' to build on. I'm not anti-Remington; but I did say that the FN looked to be more stout. Here's a visual comparison. Let's hear TECHNICAL facts about the pro's and cons of each for a PRACTICAL rifle.

Remington700:
IMG_2145.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

FN SPR:
IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

Re: Rem700 vs FN SPR

both actions have aftermarket triggers and firing pin/springs available
both got one piece rail available

both have mag fed bottom metal available

FN got integral lug

......stacking up about even so far....................

That FN-SPR is controlled round feed as well. Rem is push feed.
And that SPR action is supposed to be straight from the factory.
Have been a lot closer than Rem from what I've seen. I prefer it over the Rem. Also, Bolt knob isn't going to snap off the FN right in the middle of a comp like a Rem can.
But......Put a bolt knob on the FN.. what a pain in the nuts.

Ask the major builders which one they prefer and why........then you will know why Rems are more popular.

Savage has a great trigger, floating bolt head (no blueprinting needed), a better extractor than a 700, do it yourself barrel replacement and you can buy one that will do 1/2 MOA OOB with no aftermarket f-ing around. (Cheaper too)
Controlled feed (FN/M70) is far overrated in a target/tactical environment. (I'm not talking about hunting in Africa or dragging a rifle through the desert in Iraq)

12FTR.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage has a great trigger, floating bolt head (no blueprinting needed), a better extractor than a 700, do it yourself barrel replacement and you can buy one that will do 1/2 MOA OOB with no aftermarket f-ing around. (Cheaper too)
Controlled feed (FN/M70) is far overrated in a target/tactical environment. (I'm not talking about hunting in Africa or dragging a rifle through the desert in Iraq)

12FTR.jpg

</div></div>

I must have missed where he was asking about the Savage in his post..... there is still quite a bit of work that can be or needs to be done to a Savage to make it a top performer. BTW, not all of them are .5 moa shooters and most people who claim it fail to prove it when called on the carpet.

In my mind the flat bottom of Win/FN is superior for bedding and I just don't like the Rem ejector (neither do a lot of BR shooters). Combine flat bottom and integral lug and I say that makes Win better (not that Rem does not work, just not my first choice).

I like them both. I think Remington has a faster lock time. Most builders probably like the 700 because it is a tubular receiver making it easier to work on. The also don't have
to cut out the extractor groove in the barrel which takes more time which equals
money. Some builders will not work on a Win model 70 controlled round feed type action.
Most (not all) really good rifle builders will do both. And I am not saying there are not
excellent builders who just do Rem style actions, there are. Just different strokes for
different folks
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage has a great trigger, floating bolt head (no blueprinting needed), a better extractor than a 700, do it yourself barrel replacement and you can buy one that will do 1/2 MOA OOB with no aftermarket f-ing around. (Cheaper too)

12FTR.jpg

</div></div>

I must have missed where he was asking about the Savage in his post..... there is still quite a bit of work that can be or needs to be done to a Savage to make it a top performer. BTW, not all of them are .5 moa shooters and most people who claim it fail to prove it when called on the carpet. </div></div>

just amuse him... he's pretending again...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage has a great trigger, floating bolt head (no blueprinting needed), a better extractor than a 700, do it yourself barrel replacement and you can buy one that will do 1/2 MOA OOB with no aftermarket f-ing around. (Cheaper too)

12FTR.jpg

</div></div>

I must have missed where he was asking about the Savage in his post..... there is still quite a bit of work that can be or needs to be done to a Savage to make it a top performer. BTW, not all of them are .5 moa shooters and most people who claim it fail to prove it when called on the carpet. </div></div>

You forgot to add savages are just plain ugly!! I dont think it even comes close to a fn!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask the major builders which one they prefer and why........then you will know why Rems are more popular.</div></div>Let's do just that: Which one; and why?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slug</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That FN-SPR is controlled round feed as well. Rem is push feed.
</div></div>

i did a quick google search to learn what controlled round feed is. the best i can tell is that on controlled round feeding, the bolt holds the base of the cartrige until its ejected. not when it is chambered. allowing it to be removed partially, while not allowing the next round to cause a jam. is this correct?

here is my opinion, for around 400bucks you can buy either fn or rem action. however the fn you don't need a different recoil lug.The factory bottom metal/dbm is 10x better on a fn than a rem. The fn already comes with a 20moa rail on top. The fn has the 3 position safety which most would argue is better than rem. Plus you add in the controlled round feed.

The biggest advantage the rem. has is the amount of aftermarket parts available and that most smiths would prefer to work on rem because its easier.

I say if you want to save money on a build and have a great action use the fn. if you want to replace virtually everything but the reciever and be like 80% of the guys doing builds go the rem route.

jsut my .02cents and some say its not worth that.

The FN / PRE 64 Winchester Action also has the three position safety that allows you to lock the bolt in the closed possition when the safety is moved all the way to the rear.

Everything else has pretty much been covered.

jsut my .02cents and some say its not worth that. "posted by diggler"

Thats funny. I'll have to remember that.

As for the controlled round feed. I like it for the field, for benchrest or f-class
I'd sooner have the Remington. If I'm going hunting, the CRF action.

FN's are much better because thats what I have right now.This time last year Remington was far superior for the same reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN's are much better because thats what I have right now.This time last year Remington was far superior for the same reason. </div></div>A very technical explanation. LOL!
laugh.gif

I have been leaning more and more towards the FN/Winchesters lately. When it comes to building up rifles, dealing with the recoil lug alone can be a pain. If you blueprint the action and re cut the receiver threads .010" over sized, you have to either buy an over sized lug, or you need to bore out the factory lug. Then you have to true both sides of the lug up on a surface grinder or buy one already done. Then securing the lug to the receiver when installing the barrel requires a certain tool for that specific lug, or you have to drill and pin the lug. Then when it comes to bedding you have to tape up the lug. Also, because you are not cutting a longer threaded shank for the barrel because of a recoil lug, you have a shorter shank. That translates to the capacity to bump the chamber forward and chase your threads and most your barrel shoulder forward to freshen up the barrel.

So with a FN/Winchester you don't have to worry about any of that.

Also, adjusting factory FN/Winchester triggers is pretty simple. The extractor is strong and the bolt is stronger in my opinion. Like SLUG said, the metal is extremely tough and is not just going to rip off.

When barreling, you don't have to worry about a counter bore like on a Remington, but the flip side to that coin is the cone that you must cut in the barrel and the extractor slot. I think those are small compared to the other advantages mentioned.

sorry, musta slipped my mind, what kind of actions do the USMC and Army have their sniper rifles built on? cant remember for the life of me.

Remingtons are better because someone else told me so.....

Mgcress004.jpg

GAT003.jpg

It doesnt matter to me, both work just as well as one another. Just less people work on the CRF actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, musta slipped my mind, what kind of actions do the USMC and Army have their sniper rifles built on? cant remember for the life of me. </div></div>Winchester dropped the ball; for no other reason. The military wasn't privy to some deep, dark secret unavailable to anyone else at the time - Remington simply made itself available to them at the right time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, musta slipped my mind, what kind of actions do the USMC and Army have their sniper rifles built on? cant remember for the life of me. </div></div>

Yeah because the military always makes the right choice!?!

I think the winchester actions are fine actions, I just prefer the remmy. truthfully, its gonna be a Ford vs. Chevy argument imo. A good smith can make either one into a FINE rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sorry, musta slipped my mind, what kind of actions do the USMC and Army have their sniper rifles built on? cant remember for the life of me. </div></div>

Yeah because the military always makes the right choice!?!

</div></div>

Didn't see that one coming
smile.gif

Put simply, for me it was a no-brainer. An FN SPR action with 20 MOA base, trigger and BM for $300!!

If I was paying full price for either a FN or a 700 to start a build, I'd pick neither and start with a custom.

If FN and 700 action exact same $300 price---I'd first shop around the classifieds and such and look for a stock/barrel to fit either for a great deal. If I happened to find a 700 stock for a deal, then I'd let that guide my decision. A little backwords yes, but it is a good indicator that either will do the job.

If I found a stock I wanted for both, I'd pick the FN for the trigger, extractor and integral lug.

12FTR.jpg

</div></div>

I agree with you that OP didnt ask about Savage. But I will say that Savages are some good shooting mofo's. EVERY one I have owned was sub MOA and most substantially better. Value.

From an engineering perspective it's FN all the way: drop forged everything. From a 'smithing perspective I'll have to concede my defense to someone who 'moves metal'.

I don't want to hijak this thread by any means. But I don't see the need to open a new thread when we are already talking about factory actions. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on a Howa action is for building on? If you feel like I have crossed the line ignore my question and I'll start a new thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TaylorM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't want to hijak this thread by any means. But I don't see the need to open a new thread when we are already talking about factory actions. I was wondering what everyone's opinion on a Howa action is for building on? If you feel like I have crossed the line ignore my question and I'll start a new thread. </div></div>

Taylor look through the search you will find a few good threads.The actions are pretty well thought of and look up Roedale for a bunch of cool stuff for them.

Your question was fine.... just too narrow. For example an out of the box Tikka 595 Tactical has all the bells and whistles, will shoot 1/2 MOA from the factory and is far, far cheaper than a tricked out 700 or FN. I own two of the earlier 595 target/tactical models, and while I know wood stocks are "no good" (LMAO), they were both 1/2 MOA rifles out of the box. Unless your trips include the rainforest or a second Viet Nam war, you'll never know the difference. Did I mention they cost $600 brand new and can still be found ANNB for under a grand?
tikka22250.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Beautiful</span> rifle, Mr. Humble! I've always found them attractive. Russia has a similar rifle chambered in 5.45x39 that was sold in the US back in the 90's. I liked the way it looked, too.

I have seen the East German SSG82 that looks similar; have not seen the Russian's! Not to say that it does not exist?

Maybe it was E. German. I recall looking at them and seeing the hammer forged barrels some time ago. Never handled or shot them just saw them in passing. Cool little rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scimitar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for the controlled round feed. I like it for the field, for benchrest or f-class I'd sooner have the Remington. If I'm going hunting, the CRF action. </div></div>
+1

Graham

I have both a FN and a few Remmy's. In my opinion, having owned and used both a lot.

The FN has a clunky, rough, bolt action. But the controlled push feed I like much better for 1 shot maybe 2 shot hunting use.

The Rem 700 when you are going to be firing a few rounds quickly or emptying it and changing mags and working that bolt, the Rem 700 action has a much better bolt action for that use. The smoothness and fit of the 2 actions bolts are not comparable. Every top name smith does a Rem700 well, which gives you variety in price and wait time for your build.

The FN action is much more robust. But I haven't had or seen a Rem700 suffer from not being like the FN action. And all my magnums happen to be Rem700s. But my FN has killed more than the plague. There are far less smiths who work on Win/FN's or who can do it well. Trigger adjustment is supposed to be simple but my FN trigger could not be tuned to match 2 of my perfect 3.5lbs Remmy's. It's close but has slack 2 great smiths could not get rid of.

From what I understand, one of the main reasons Rem. 700 is more popular than Mod 70 is becuase it is easier to work on...that is the main point.

However, another point is that the Remington action is stiffer than the Mod 70 action, and is therefore has a higher accuracy potential. How much truth this is, I am not sure, but that is what 'I has heard'.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A good smith can make either one into a FINE rifle. </div></div>

+1. George Gardner at G.A. Precision piller bedded my 1st Gen. SPR into one of the first 12 McMillan A5's a few years back. Had him tune the trigger and install the Badger knob while he was at it.

Don

FNSPRnew1.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HomeOnTheRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what I understand, one of the main reasons Rem. 700 is more popular than Mod 70 is becuase it is easier to work on...that is the main point.

However, another point is that the Remington action is stiffer than the Mod 70 action, and is therefore has a higher accuracy potential. How much truth this is, I am not sure, but that is what 'I has heard'. </div></div>

I want you to go to the pics on the first page and rethink that.

The Winchester is 250% stiffer.

when they make a left handed SPR I will consider it, until then 700 FTW

i own both, a heavy barreled 700 and a SPR and i prefer the SPR to the remington

my only complaints, only 1 true 10 rnd mag DBM for the SPR actions, limited cheaper stock options for the SPR if i was building a rifle, harder on tooling for the smiths but its still doable, other then that i like other feel of the action "it feels" higher quality but ive only been around custom 700s for a limited time

so my 2 cents is that i have a 1200 rifle in a mcmillan stock with a barrel that i will never shoot out and a perfectly capable 4 rnd detachable mag system.

When in doubt, get the Remchester...
smile.gif

As far as the aftermarket stuff goes, doesnt the FN actions use the Win 70 stocks also? Either way Mcm and Manners will inlet a stock of your choice, good DBM systems for it from CDI, and Jewell makes a trigger for the Win 70 which should also fit the FN.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RussW1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I missed the part about the Savage, too. I prefer the stock for stock FN for the internal lug, decent bolt, controlled feed, and the turn-key SPR builds available vs a stock for stock anything else. But, I dunno about the guys who failed the prove it with their Savages. I have shot a Savage fp10 in 308 that easily put Fed Match rounds into a .23" group all day long. I still bought the FN instead. I have never seen .23" with it, though.

Shooting a gun is different than building a gun, if you ask me. If I were a builder, I would build Remingtons, too. I also have a few custom remmys as well. Because you HAVE to custom build em, adding a good lug, extractor, and bolt to make them decent rifles.
wink.gif

WYK