• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remage .243 1/7 twist barrel suggestion

scott289

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2012
Florida
Good Afternoon. Does anyone run a heavy contour 1/7 twist .243 barrel shooting 115 DTAC? I was thinking about installing a remage .243 barrel on a 700 action.

The ammunition would be hand loaded DTAC 115. Winchester once fired brass full length sized, CCI 34 primers. Powder? I have IMR 4064, IMR 4320 are they too fast? The 4320 might be better.

I will ask more in the load data in the reloading forum. What barrel length? 20-24 inch? The ranges this will be used varies from 300-800 yards. I was looking for actual experience advice before I start this. Thank you in advance.

I ran 115 DTAC with a 7.5 twist. Stabilized them fin but a 7 will also. I used mine for matches and ran a 27" barrel. What do you plan to do with it?

Hodgdon doesn't list either of those powders with the 115. I would try and find something a little slower. I used H4350 with mine but some used H1000 or 4831.

Just for the sake of debate...and I am not trying to piss on your wheaties here. I run a 8 twist .243 with 108 ELD-Ms at ~3060 fps in a 27" barrel with H4350. Just playing around in Strelock comparing the 115's. Is it really worth it to push those bullets for "only" 300-800 yards? You would really have to crank up the speed to match the lighter rounds at those ranges.

Reactions: scott289
Thank you both. I am glad I am not loosing my mind on finding data on the IMR powders. I will keep an eye out for those two y’all listed.

The purpose, I am looking mostly to get my son shooting more he has a .243 and we have a lot of once fired .243 brass.

I already have the dies, and like the idea of trying something other than our .308’s. The .223, .243, and .308 work for us now.

We are looking to do more with what we already have. Thank you both again, I sincerely appreciate it.

Just for the sake of debate...and I am not trying to piss on your wheaties here. I run a 8 twist .243 with 108 ELD-Ms at ~3060 fps in a 27" barrel with H4350. Just playing around in Strelock comparing the 115's. Is it really worth it to push those bullets for "only" 300-800 yards? You would really have to crank up the speed to match the lighter rounds at those ranges.
Sound advice. Thank you. As time and our shooting skills improve, the distance will increase. I am looking at options to grow with, using what we have.

I have a thick hide, no worries on speaking your mind. I do appreciate the insight. That’s what I was looking for.