• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing RemAge Barrel Epoxied

Hundo

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2018
After years of stock bedding and installing pillars I finally did it this weekend....glued the action to the stock. I have done many Rem 700 rifles, but this is the first with the barrel nut used for the RemAge system. I admit, I just plain forgot to put clay in the barrel nut grooves. I have a mechanical lock in a Walnut stock (factory that is being replaced, just wanted to shoot it until the good stock arrives). I have heard of the freezer method and the hot iron method to soften the epoxy, in this case Devcon (A) steel putty. Anyone have experience unlocking a Savage or RemAge barrel nut?

Plenty of release agent...I will send a photo

If its just the barrel nut grooves that are holding it in i would think youd be able to break that little bit of epoxy.

Smack it as hard as you are willing. Had that happen a little to me.

I had one on a savage and a remington, but it was in the good stock.. Didn't have a freezer big enough but a few hard wraps with a dead blow mallet at the front of the action on the action and recoil lug. It finally popped loose but it was a couple hard smacks not a time gentle comes into the picture.. still took some wiggling but it cam loose and the bedding held together just fine.