• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remage Barrel Nut Wrench Question

Raven34

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Dec 13, 2009
    South Western, PA
    For the guys that are using the remage barrel nut, what wrench are you guys using. Is it the standard savage wrench?

Thanks

The stamped steel wrench from NSS is a piece of crap. It doesn't fit very snug, and I'm afraid to put any kind of torque on it. I bought a Bighorn Arms nut for my Remington. It just uses a 12 point box end wrench.

It doesn't need a lot of torque. The stamped wrenches are fine.

Yeah i believe it was something like 40-60 ft lb. I own 3 remage setups now and have used the same NSS wrench on all of them.

The Bighorn but is a LOT nicer than the regular savage but and can be had in savage or remington thread pitches.

Reactions: JMGlasgow
    Just out of curiosity, what barrel nut we’re you using?
    Bighorn now. I still have a Savage style nut and when I replace my barrel again it will get a Bighorn

cropped-12-point-e1495661017473.png

I'm a bit of a tool snob so I expect tighter tolerances. My stamped wrench doesn't fit well at all.

I hear you. However I've seen everything from sloppy to tight on Savage nuts with the nss wrench.

For what it's worth I put 100 ft lbs on it and it didn't give at all.