• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remage barrel threads

jcmullis2

Don’t run you’ll only die tired
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 12, 2020
    USA
    What’s the length of the threads on remage barrels? I know it’s a 1.060-16tpi but how far do the threads go so they’re not seen. If someone has a remage barrel lying around and can measure it I’d appreciate the help. I just began chambering and threading barrels for myself and want to make a remage barrel for my 223. Thanks for everyone’s help in advance

Reactions: TommyD11730
    If you have the tools, just shoulder it.

There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to cut threads and set headspace.

If you really want a nut:
    1. Buy barrel nut
    2. Measure barrel nut thread length
    3. Measure receiver
    4. Cut threads to fit your nut and receiver
    5-10. Check headspace, verify, check again.

Reactions: jcmullis2
    If you have a lathe and a clue there really is no advantage to making a remage over a shouldered barrel.

Reactions: jcmullis2
    Take your barrel nut , recoil lug thickness and depth from the face of the action to the bolt shorten up the threads enough to be covered by the nut. The nice thing about the remage setup before chambering check it assembled in the lathe . Make sure you have the bolt clearance and no threads show then chamber .
    With that said I just removed the nut setup from a mossburg rifle it's just as easy to do the shoulder .

Attachments

• 20210806_154924.jpg
      20210806_154924.jpg
      290.7 KB · Views: 42
    Last edited:
    If you have a lathe and a clue there really is no advantage to making a remage over a shouldered barrel.
    I bought some practice barrels to learn with and the diameter of one isn’t large enough to shoulder but is okay for the remage style setup. I have a couple of actions with nss criterion remage barrels so I’ll have it for whichever one that needs it. There’s only so much I can simulate with bar stock. Barrels aren’t cheap so I figured why not save a couple of bucks on one. I’d love to do like some gunsmiths and practice on customer barrels but I don’t wanna deal with the public. I’m sure it doesn’t make sense to others but there’s a method to my madness. I’m retired and gotta do something with my time. Thanks for all the help guys and have a good day