• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REMAGE budget build??

Smitty192

Stand-up Philosopher
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2017
Deep East Texas
I am looking to put together a 308 rifle on a budget. I've got a KRG chassis already. I am thinking of doing a REMAGE build.

My question is for those who have done one a bone stock R700 action.

Good idea or waste of money? Can it be done with good accuracy results or does the action need some work prior to assembly?

Reactions: The D
The vast majority of accuracy is the barrel.
Good barrel+good ammunition=
921C2285-2DB2-4FC0-9606-BDC61DC46D4E.jpeg

The first thing that needs done to most Remington 700s, is to have the primary extraction timing addressed. It wont make it more accurate, but it will make it more functional.

Reactions: Sierra770
The first thing that needs done to most Remington 700s, is to have the primary extraction timing addressed. It wont make it more accurate, but it will make it more functional.
Would you mind expanding on that please? I'm not familiar with that at all.

While more positive primary extraction is a benefit; for a budget I’d leave the action as is if it works as it is now. Just screw a remage on, the beauty of remage is that nothing else needs to be done to put the barrel on.

"Needs done" was probably not the perfect terminology. If I was going to do something, that is what it would be, if it needs it. An RR action wont have any, a lot of older actions will have plenty primary extraction.

Reactions: 5RWill
Do you have the 700 action already?

I am literally doing this as we speak....started with a 22-250 and just swapped the barrel for a 6.5 Creedmoor. The process was quite easy, and I hope to get to the range later this week. I've also done this swap on a Savage 10, and the change in accuracy was quite good (that rifle was a .308).

unless you already have the action, I would recommend buying a ready built aftermarket quality action, you can buy an Origin for close to what you can buy the Remington and have work done on it. The resell value is higher on a custom action than a rebuilt Remington as well.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
unless you already have the action, I would recommend buying a ready built aftermarket quality action, you can buy an Origin for close to what you can buy the Remington and have work done on it. The resell value is higher on a custom action than a rebuilt Remington as well.

This. If you already have the action and don't plan on doing any upgrades rock and roll. If you want to have a bunch of work done to the action just sell it and buy a custom action.

I have a handful of Remage barrels and have been pleased with the results I can get but would much rather have a Bighorn Origin as a switch barrel.

This. If you already have the action and don't plan on doing any upgrades rock and roll. If you want to have a bunch of work done to the action just sell it and buy a custom action.

I have a handful of Remage barrels and have been pleased with the results I can get but would much rather have a Bighorn Origin as a switch barrel.
That's my thought process. If I can take a bone stock R700 action and screw on a solid, high quality barrel and get accuracy greater than a R700 SPS, then I consider it a win. I would't have any work done on a 700 action. The Origin makes far better sense at that point.

Reactions: bunsen27
Do you have the 700 action already?
Nothing yet. I've only got the KRG chassis now. I think I can get a 700 action and have the bolt knob threaded for around 650.

I'm not sure if a REMAGE barrel is less expensive than a pre fit barrel. I'm just starting to look at it all. My big question is if the 700 action without any work done to it is a viable option or if it will hinder accuracy.

Nothing yet. I've only got the KRG chassis now. I think I can get a 700 action and have the bolt knob threaded for around 650.

I'm not sure if a REMAGE barrel is less expensive than a pre fit barrel. I'm just starting to look at it all. My big question is if the 700 action without any work done to it is a viable option or if it will hinder accuracy.
It'll get the job done. It won't be smooth or refined, but that's another issue altogether.

A stock 700 with a criterion/remage barrel in a bravo is about the best performance per dollar going and the cheapest way to 1/2 moa I've found. I'd add a triggertech special or your trigger of choice and be done with it.

for 650.00 No . I would spend 150.00 more and get a big horn origin . I got in on a group buy and picked up a 700 short action that was trued and blue printed for 500.00 , I went with the remage barrel system and it was pretty straight forward . I also replaced the trigger with a trigger tech special . this is how it turned out .

74hvIVB.jpg

So close to better action in price its not worth it.

Reactions: DH302 and SWgeezer

As mentioned above if you don't have it then a hard pass on a 700. You can get a Bighorn Origin as mentioned for $875 and it has the bolt knob, a pinned recoil lug, comes with a 20 MOA base and is much better made. You also have the option of swapping out the bolt heads so you can have a .308 and a .223 with a quick barrel and bolthead change. Also the action takes shouldered prefit barrels so just screw it on.

As mentioned above if you don't have it then a hard pass on a 700. You can get a Bighorn Origin as mentioned for $875 and it has the bolt knob, a pinned recoil lug, comes with a 20 MOA base and is much better made. You also have the option of swapping out the bolt heads so you can have a .308 and a .223 with a quick barrel and bolthead change. Also the action takes shouldered prefit barrels so just screw it on.
This x1000. When you add in the cost of the pic rail you are so close to a legit custom action with an incredible amount of features.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
And the cost of the recoil lug that the 700s don't come with either. $650 plus say $100 for 20 moa rail and $30 for a recoil lug you are at $780 and only $95 off an Origin.

The Criterion Remage pre-fits are $300-$375ish at Northland Shooter Supply. Krieger and Green Mountain start at $400ish. I went this route in 2020 building a .308Win and 2018 for a .223Rem trainer. Bone stock R700 action with zero work done to it, used a standard recoil lug, NSS's barrel nut, and just screwed the barrel into the action to the proper head space, torque barrel nut and you're done!

Unless you find a cheap donor action I would highly recommend, as others have previously, go with a Big Horn / Zermatt Origin action instead.

Yes, $900+sales tax+transfer fee is going to be about 2x what you would have in the R700 action, but it is well worth the upgrade cost!!

Note that the Origin action is threaded to accept the small shank Savage pre-fits NOT Reminton/Remage thread pattern. This actually opens up a few more off the shelf barrel blank options to you.

EDIT: the swept bolt handle of the Origin has zero issues in the KRG Bravo. My Rim-X is in a KRG and it also has the swept bolt.

My big question is if the 700 action without any work done to it is a viable option or if it will hinder accuracy.
Dont, I got my trued rem700 for 450 all in with an aftermarket bolt the works and its fine but no way would I spend 650 on a 300 dollar action.
My origins kick it in the crotch.

It wont hinder accuracy but youre gonna notice the excessive bolt lift and cock on close and weak extraction etc that the custom is designed to eliminate from the get go so you will notice that it hinders pleasing operation to a small extent.

Here is an origin with a savage barrel and a rem700 with a remage, both criterion. The origin is simply better.
269428E7-F2C2-466B-A7CA-4EF40ABB2ECB.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: DH302
I am looking to put together a 308 rifle on a budget. I've got a KRG chassis already. I am thinking of doing a REMAGE build.

Good idea or waste of money? Can it be done with good accuracy results or does the action need some work prior to assembly?
How tight of a budget are we talking about? And how soon of a time frame do you need this finished? Intended purpose of said rifle?

If this is a gift for a beginning hunter/shooter then proceed with your plan of Bravo, 700, remage barrel. This will be a great starting platform

If this is for you and you’re not really being pushed by time frame or $$$, save for at least a Mack Bros stainless receiver and build your own rifle. You get so much more for your money and can control everything

And the cost of the recoil lug that the 700s don't come with either. $650 plus say $100 for 20 moa rail and $30 for a recoil lug you are at $780 and only $95 off an Origin.
I never factored in the cost of the pic rail and lug.

Reactions: Rob01
The Criterion Remage pre-fits are $300-$375ish at Northland Shooter Supply. Krieger and Green Mountain start at $400ish. I went this route in 2020 building a .308Win and 2018 for a .223Rem trainer. Bone stock R700 action with zero work done to it, used a standard recoil lug, NSS's barrel nut, and just screwed the barrel into the action to the proper head space, torque barrel nut and you're done!

Unless you find a cheap donor action I would highly recommend, as others have previously, go with a Big Horn / Zermatt Origin action instead.

Yes, $900+sales tax+transfer fee is going to be about 2x what you would have in the R700 action, but it is well worth the upgrade cost!!

Note that the Origin action is threaded to accept the small shank Savage pre-fits NOT Reminton/Remage thread pattern. This actually opens up a few more off the shelf barrel blank options to you.

EDIT: the swept bolt handle of the Origin has zero issues in the KRG Bravo. My Rim-X is in a KRG and it also has the swept bolt.
I didn't consider the Savage threaded barrels being used. I gues I shou;d change this to Origin v. REMAGE build.

If you don't have the action, then I would suggest you take a look at the Mack Bros stainless EVO action.
No, it doesn't come with a trigger, but the remington is shit anyway and you would have to replace it.
This is a high quality, custom action with the bells and whistles you would eventually buy anyway.
Plus, it comes with a pic rail

If you don't have the action, then I would suggest you take a look at the Mack Bros stainless EVO action.
No, it doesn't come with a trigger, but the remington is shit anyway and you would have to replace it.
This is a high quality, custom action with the bells and whistles you would eventually buy anyway.
Plus, it comes with a pic rail
$575?? That is definitely an interesting price. How does that compare to the Origin?

$575?? That is definitely an interesting price. How does that compare to the Origin?
Don't know, but it is FAR batter than a remington action.
I believe, once you exceed about 700 bucks for an action, you are no longer in the "budget build" area.

Origins are actually in stock somewhere usually. There's an Evo thread here where they explain it wont be till sometime next year until the next run of those actions.

Being able to buy shouldered prefit barrels is the winner for the Origin. Also because it's in stock and you can change the bolt face not to mentioned the pinned recoil lug and pinned 20 MOA rail. Get the Origin.

And PVA is a great place to get prefits and even the barreled action if you wanted to go that route. I have a few barrels done by PVA and happy with all of them. All very accurate. @bohem is Josh's screen name her if you needed to contact him. Josh does great work.

I went with a Criterion barrel on a 78 sportsman, its a 700. If you already had a remington or can get one real cheap its the way to go. I did a little work on the action with a file because of bolt timing, adjusted the trigger and replaced the extractor. If you like to tinker and do things yourself its fun.
Mine shoots really good and I plan on doing it again when I am ready for something in a long action.

Agree with this^ I have 3 remington remages for a couple hundred more you end up with a much nicer feeling gun if you go with a semi custom action, handled a ARC the other day and it has me questioning my life choices

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty192
I can't really add anything more useful than what the others have input.
I have built 3 Remage rifles 1 with a Criterion 1 with a Crown Ridge and 1 with an x-caliber.
all shoot exceptionally well. My next one will probably use another Criterion. I have been kicking around the idea of a lightweight hunter with a carbon fiber barrel...

I decided to go with remage set ups because I previously owned multiple 700’s and got a deal “3 complete rifles for $975” which was only $50 less than the guy paid for them at Walmart..They are RR prefixes but at this cost I was able to buy all the hand tools to cut the face of the action, bolt lugs and face and a tool to true the threads. All this for under $1000. Cost is subjective you will only spend what you have. I will also comment to the lack of choices on remage style barrels BUT Shilen’s be Alter-nut prefits are very promising! I have used carbon 6 and would recommend mcgowens unfinished section you could score a good deal over there.

Bone stock action, but Jewell trigger. KRG Bravo stock. Criterion Remage with trued recoil lug, both from Northland Shooters Supply, in 6.5 CM. 10 shots in 0.51".

Bone stock action, but Jewell trigger. KRG Bravo stock. Criterion Remage with trued recoil lug, both from Northland Shooters Supply, in 6.5 CM. 10 shots in 0.51".
Impressive. I know there are lots of ways to go about this, it's just finding the right parts at the right prices to make it work.

I just built two Remages, a 308 Win and 300 Win Mag on stock actions with Trigger Tec triggers and Preferred Barrel Blanks Remage barrels. Both shoot .75 MOA and better when I do my part. Total cost to build both was not that bad, below is what I paid, and it took me over a year, and I waited for stuff to go on sale. Also, the only thing I did to the actions is lap the bolt lugs to make sure I have at least 50% contact with the receiver, which both were over 90%.

Rifle Build Cost.jpg

Now as most said, I would not spend more than 350$ for the action itself since you can get a Howa Barreld action for 450$ to 500$ and get a more feature/updated action that is a bit better. Though going the Howa or Tikka route, you would lose the Remingtion footprint and being able to swap parts, like actions and stocks/chassis.

If you do go the aftermarket action route, most of them have prefit-barrel support, as well as Tikka and Howa now. So, you should not have an issue finding a barrel, just the time to get it...meh

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty192
200 win mag, that would be a hot rod sum bitch. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I have some 34 Nosler Varmagedon, I wonder if they would hold together at 5000fps. :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

LoL, I just fixed it, but yea 200 Wiin Mag special fast, like me...eh :ROFLMAO:

I just bought a new 700 short action with the mark x pro trigger 308 bolt face for $500. Ordered a x caliber barrel when they had there Black Friday sale. 28” 308 barrel threaded was $450

Wish I had known this before the action I bought last year. This is the route I will go next time.