• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remage prefit barrel vendors

slowworm

Low speed, High Drag
Minuteman
Oct 21, 2004
New Hampshire
I'm looking for a remage prefit barrel and have been looking at vendors.

Criterion via NSS was my first choice, but they never answer the phone and frankly leaving a voice mail and having NSS call back when it works for them isn't very convenient for me. I don't sit on my cell phone and during the week, and there are limited windows when I can take personal calls due to customer meetings etc. Not interested in playing phone tag. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I thought the idea was to make it convenient for the customer to give me money, not the other way round.

I'm looking at McGowen barrels instead. I found this thread which looks good:

Gunsmithing - McGowan barrels any good? | Sniper's Hide Forum

Before I pull the trigger are there other options with on-line ordering I should consider?

Thanks

S.

I don’t know that they have online ordering, but Benchmark Barrels is local to me, great work for me in the past and has a great reputation.

@Deep South Tactical is working on a couple barrels for me right now, and David’s got a special running for Hide members on chamber and muzzle threading work; he’ll also sell you a blank if he’s got one in stock.

Most of the times I've called he doesn't answer but if you leave a message he will call back fast. I get only being able to call in a small window but it is what it is. I never answer my work phone either lol.

I just called NSS this week and was prepared to leave a message. I was kind of caught off guard when he picked up right away. Try calling later in the afternoon

I have called him and been able to get him on first try but he always calls back pretty fast. Great barrels. But other places PVA bugholes preferred barrels are other options. Either online orders or phone calls. Bugholes easier to email seems like

Preferred barrel blanks and x-caliber are options. Depending on what caliber you want theurbanriflemanstore.com offers 6mm prefits at a good price!

All of those barrel makers are putting out decent quality barrels. That being said my last 2 barrels have been from nss and my new 6br is set to ship from preferred barrel blanks in the next week or two.

I’d also consider keystone.
He has buttoned and cut rifled blanks and both Barrels I’ve gotten from him have been awesome.

Bugholes and NSS are my go to for remage prefits. I have about 6 barrels combined from those two companies in last 3 years.

I bought 3 Mcree’s Precision Remage barrels 5 or 6 years ago. They were real good. I don’t know how their barrels are today.

Reactions: Ironman308
I generally go to McGowan. Helps they're 1 day shipping to me even standard ground. Haven't had a bad one yet or any reason to use the CS, but they've always answered the phone for questions.

If I want a twist, or rifling they don't have, I look at x-caliber or Preferred.

I have shot plenty of NSS criterions, but they never seem to have what I want when I'm ordering. They shoot plenty good.

So as an update, I ended up splitting the order.

I ordered my 260 barrel from NSS, and the 308 from McGowen. NSS could not give a lead time on the 308s, but the 260s were pretty much en-route to them.

McGowen is saying 10 weeks for the 308.

Lets see how this goes...

I tested the waters and went with X-Caliber.

A fellow shooter has one in mid-weight 22in 308 and with factory match Hornady and un-trued M700 the groups are 200yds and 300yds are surprisingly consistent, running about 0.75MOA. Barrel cleans up fast with very little copper fouling, nothing some Montana Extreme couldn't handle.

I will find out in about 4 months.