• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

RemAge/switch barrel: Is this a game for chassis only?

PFG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Texas
To those of you playing the golf bag (1 receiver) and multiple clubs (barrels) game...how do you handle stock inletting and the barrel nut?

No problem for chassis, but I'm not grasping how this works for traditional hunting stocks.

Like the Manners MCS-EH line, or the McMillan Hunters Edge. Do you get out the dremel and start making room?

I like the RemAge solution, but only if I can utilize it from all ends - light hunting rig in a hunting stock to a palma weight chassis pig.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks Hide.

Most of my barrel nuts I have clear a remington Sendero/varmint contour inlet. They may have taken little sanding, I don't remember. I have a couple stocks they cut for Criterion varmint contour barrels. So if you are ordering a stock, just get a mini chassis and have them cut the channel for your remage barrel.

@supercorndogs that makes good sense for rifles that don't mind the weight penalty of the mini chassis. Same work around for a sporter weight barrel? Order the stock for the contour, then DIY inlet for the nut?

@supercorndogs that makes good sense for rifles that don't mind the weight penalty of the mini chassis. Same work around for a sporter weight barrel? Order the stock for the contour, then DIY inlet for the nut?

I don't think there is more than a couple ounces of difference between my bedded EH1 and my mini chassis EH1. What makes you think the mini chassis weighs that much more then a bottom metal and the material they remove from the stock to install it?

I don't think there is more than a couple ounces of difference between my bedded EH1 and my mini chassis EH1

Thats good to know. I wasn't aware that the weight difference was minimal. Ounces make pounds, so I've always been wary of a mini chassis EH stock for a mountain gun. Maybe I shouldn't be.

With a few exceptions (sporter profile) the shoulder on a traditional barrel is the same outer diameter as a barrel nut. I did have Robert W. Snyder open one up a little bit but have seen others drop right in.

Reactions: PFG
Depends on what a mountain gun is to you. around 10 lbs EH1, around 6lbs you might need something else.

I take 3/4" dowel, wrap it in the roughest sandpaper you can get (I use some old 2 grit, thats right, 2. It really gets after it like a cheese grater saving my shoulder, finsish up with something fine to clear up the roughness) and wallow it out for the largest barrel because... well... its to make something larger fit into something smaller.

The barrel nut really doesnt take much to relieve, a few hairs just to get paper to slide between freely.

I set the barreled action into/onto the stock where it needs to be and then I take my calipers and run them down the barrel with a jaw on each side to scribe where it needs to be relieved to. Put a layer of tape on the calipers to not scratch your barrel up. Then just get to sanding, some people just want it to clear a dollar ill, I take some notebook paper and fold it over on itself just because it doesnt hurt to have a hair more space and be sure.

My mini chassis is 3lbs with 13.75" LOP and 1 inch decelerator pad

My non chassis is 2lbs 11oz with 13.25 LOP and 1/4" pad and PTG bottom metal. Both have the same brand stock pack with some nylon wedding and tape for cheek wield.

Most of my barrel nuts I have clear a remington Sendero/varmint contour inlet. They may have taken little sanding, I don't remember. I have a couple stocks they cut for Criterion varmint contour barrels. So if you are ordering a stock, just get a mini chassis and have them cut the channel for your remage barrel.
^^^ My experience has been similar. I have a couple that needed just a little sanding for the MTU and M24 contour. Most were drop in.

That being said, most of my RemAges only see one barrel until they are shot out, and then start over. A couple were used just to try new calibers/flavors, but never put the old barrels back on... Not really "barrel swapping", more "easy replacement".

I guess once I have a rifle performing to my expectations, it seems like a waste of time/effort and components to go through swapping and confirming all the time.

i decided to stop switching barrels all the time too, we will see how long that lasts though.