• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remedial Bipod Education?

Will_Power

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
An Okie in Orygun
Hey all,

I'm in the process of building out my first AR-15 and am focusing on a precision rifle (my first) to improve my marksmanship with.

Can I pick your brains about bipods?

I initially was planning on the VLTOR Modpod (I liked its low center of gravity, wide footprint, and how it folded up and away from your hand if you use a VFG), but after reading reviews, its plastic legs seem extremely suspect. As such, I'm looking elsewhere.

I'm getting close to hitting the wall with my budget, so the Harris line of bipods seems attractive based on price point alone. Trouble is, they have a ton of different models, and I am uncertain what features I should look for. What height/length of bipod legs should I be looking for, in particular.

Also, what's the word on picatinny mounts? Any in particular? Are their budget items that are acceptable?

Thanks.

Re: Remedial Bipod Education?

Harris 6-9 BRMS is the swivel model with notched legs....I would look at any rail sling stud to mount it to

Harris wise I believe you want the 6-9 brmS You want the notched legs that swivels with the 6-9 legs. You can always toss a bag under it if you want it taller but if you have a 9-13 and want to get shorter you cant use the bipod. There are a few companies out there offering adapters to connect your harris to a picatinny rails. The other option is an Atlas which are great from what I understand and will connect directly to a picatinny rail although they are more expensive.

6-9 is too low for 30 round mags and many field situations.

Out here in the west where we rarely shoot off flat ground at a target 5 feet off the deck and level between the shooter and the target, 9-13 is what one commonly sees, and still sometimes we have to throw a pack under the bipod to get the elevation needed.

A 9-13 Harris swivel with notched legs, then add a Pod Loc device to it, is hard to beat. Got a few of the other esoteric bipods, but the Harris is the go-to item for many situations.

I have a Harris 6-9" BRMS and love it. One thing that I really think is needed is a tension lever for the swivel function (This is the one that I'm gonna buy: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-access...c-prod1506.aspx).

As for a picatinny mount, I bought mine a while ago and it is a no-name brand. I think I paid $10 and it has worked well on my AR15 for over 1k rounds and on my 308 DTA SRS for about 300. If I could do it over again, I would probably go ADM or Larue so I could switch the bipod from rifles easier. Though to be honest, I'll probably just buy another bipod or two.

I'll throw my vote for the 9-13 harris. The same reasons as 9H cited. If you're at a range, shooting off a bench, no up or down angle, the 6-9 would be fine (as long as you don't wear 30 rounders) but as soon as you get into the field you'll wish you had the extra clearance. 9" is pretty low, and plenty low enough to practice good prone fundamentals. Just use your pack or a jacket on the rock for lower, though lower shouldn't be required unless the target shoots back.

What cartridge are you using, 5.56? Send us pics.

This video may be helpful:

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Pe4iZHIx3So" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Thanks for the feedback, gents.

Seems like the swivel/notched variety is the way to go.

Now, I just need to sort out the height question. I'm a pretty big boy, so maybe the 9-13" would work better when giving that a consideration, too...?

I suggest using the Harris bipod for you needs as I have been more than happy using them for years. For my bolt guns, I use the S-BRM 6-9" bipod. That allows me to get the lowest point of the ground for more stability. For my M1a and LMT MWS, I use the S-LM 9-13. Living in Colorado, and doing the majority of my shooting there, we do not have the flattest ground and often need to shoot over rocks and brush. Also, the length of the magazine can make getting prone very difficult. I suggest the 9-13" bipod for an AR build.

Harris S-BRM 6-9" bipod:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155546/...nt-6-to-9-black

Harris S-LM 9-13" bipod:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/328534/...t-9-to-13-black

Get a few big stacks of magazines and books. Prop the front and rear up on them until the rifle is level AND you are comfortable behind it.

This will tell you two things:
1. What height bipod you need to be comfortable
2. How high off the deck your butt-stock needs to be to be comfortable. This is helpful when you start shopping for monopod and rear bags.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a few big stacks of magazines and books. Prop the front and rear up on them until the rifle is level AND you are comfortable behind it.

2. How high off the deck your butt-stock needs to be to be comfortable. This is helpful when you start shopping for monopod and rear bags.
</div></div>

That is so simple and obvious a solution, it's painful. Great idea! I'll do that once I get the rifle put together this weekend.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triad</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get a few big stacks of magazines and books. Prop the front and rear up on them until the rifle is level AND you are comfortable behind it.

</div></div>

While I often feel quite comfortable behind the 6-9 I find that it usually doesn't work for me when in the field. Its also part of the fact that I use an Accushot monopod on the rear. But also like mentioned in a PM feel free to come down. I've got both models. We'll stick em on your stick and let ya put some lead down range over em.

~Brett