• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remember kids, its just a glass box...

hlee

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jul 14, 2012
    TX
    So, this happened last night- the joys of apartment living. Just a service announcement that we all already know, but still bears repeating. Your car is not a reinforced safe, it is a glass box on wheels. Don't keep valuables in it. Don't store firearms in it. These "brain trusts" broke the window and rummaged the glove boxes. They were bright/experienced enough to realize that if they opened the locked door from the inside, the alarm would sound. Finding nothing of value, they moved 2 down the line. Rinse and repeat several times down th Eline of parked cars. People suck, but the lowest level of hell is reserved for thieves- regardless of what Dante has to say on the issue.

IMG_1612.JPG

No, I do not store firearms or anything of value in my pickup- and nothing was taken, not even the husky brand 1/4" socket driver that was in the glove box that was ransacked. They just tossed it on the passenger seat like it was garbage. I did forget my Oakelys in there last night. So did the thieves- they were tossed on the floorboard...

Reactions: h3dgehawk
    I always get the glass-breakage module on aftermarket alarms. Not so much to thwart them, as to give me time to possibly saunter out with half a two-by-four in hand.

No, I do not store firearms or anything of value in my pickup- and nothing was taken, not even the husky brand 1/4" socket driver that was in the glove box that was ransacked.

Probably didn't know what they were. Even if they did, are you surprised they didn't steal something used to perform "work?"

My ex has managed apartments for over a decade. This happens ALL THE TIME. So did constant break ins of the office (no, your records aren't secure and they often target it because of course, your apartment needs to know enough about you in case they need to open an account in your name or make large credit purchases in your name!). They stole so much shit, and what did her company do? When the workout room got ransacked, they closed that down. When the rec room got ransacked, they closed that down. When the office got ransacked, they worked around it. Not once did they replace a damn thing, not once did they EVER install security. Not once.

Fuck apartments, won't live in another one. Ever. Doesn't matter how nice they are either. The fact is it's run by greedbags who just suck the investment dry and move on (that was another common theme) and are dense, target rich areas with absolutely zero security.

Kid fucking, bomb making, human trafficking, gang shit, etc.

My dad, when he ran out on the family, he got an apt. for a while. His jeep kept getting broken into. They cut the doors up, he replaced 'em and left a sign saying it wasn't necessary to cut the door. He epoxied X-Acto blades along the bottom of the stereo where the cooling fins are (they used to just reach under and rip it out). He had something rigged up to warn him if anyone fucked with it (he was an electrical engineer). One night it goes off. He sneaks outside, sees this black kid fucking around inside the jeep.

Click.

Kid pisses himself and turns around to stare down the barrel of a 12" .44 mag. He had this matter of fact conversation, you know, the ones like you have with your kid but without a cannon pointed at their face. That was the last time anyone broke into it.

Most times it's the same kids in the same gangs "putting in their work" (that's what they call it).

I was just thinking how unfortunate it would be though if certain parts in the car accidentally got crossed with the ignition coil.

Yeah, this is not my preference, but we are building a house and this keeps the kids in the same school until the end of the school year.

Yeah, this is not my preference, but we are building a house and this keeps the kids in the same school until the end of the school year.

Oh yeah, I get ya. But they're also full of people that expect it to be some kind of concierge style living and it's anything but. She worked at good properties and did a good job, so much that her job is pretty much what did our marriage in, and despite how nice they were, they always had rampant theft and breakins and cars got broken into in bulk on a regular basis. You don't even wanna leave change showing.

I feel for you. Been there twice. Good old apartments. Never again for me either.
    Also sucks that no matter how many times I cleaned and vacuumed out the car for years afterward I still found little pieces of glass here and there. Careful if little ones ride with you often.

Yep destroy $3-$400 dollars in vehicle glass in the quest to get ash tray change in order to feed your opiate habit.

The ultimate car alarm. Upon activation, DETONATION.

Some decades ago, I too 'rented'. And yes, NEVER AGAIN. I'd often thought about making a set of cushions to go on the front seats. Something nice and fitting with the decor. Starting with 1/2 plywood and have a number of 1 1/4 drywall screws up from the bottom. Wire each second one together with circuit A and the other screws with circuit B. Get these covered by someone whom actually knows sewing/upholstery so they'd look proper/normal.

Those leads would then run to a capacitor. Something about as large as the trunk capacity, but anyways. The wires leading from it, if seen, would simply resemble a 'heated seat'. (Those are sometimes needed up here in Canada)

This way, not only would the useless scumbag of a drain on society get a lesson instantly upon sitting/kneeling on the seat... but they'd look awful funny running down the street and into an ER with a "cushion" stuck to their ass/shins.

No, I never did this,,,, but you can't deny that the thought/want/desire wasn't there. I also don't know if it would be possible, because I don't know if I could ever afford a capacitor the size needed to fill the trunk. Probably not feasible, hence why this is a 'musing'.

Very a-'musing'.

:D

Reactions: Bender
    The detective on the case called yesterday and said that another resident has video of the “suspects” in the act. 2 teenagers. I’m hoping to get to see it, as I have a sneeking suspicion I may have seen them around here...

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
    The ultimate car alarm. Upon activation, DETONATION.

Some decades ago, I too 'rented'. And yes, NEVER AGAIN. I'd often thought about making a set of cushions to go on the front seats. Something nice and fitting with the decor. Starting with 1/2 plywood and have a number of 1 1/4 drywall screws up from the bottom. Wire each second one together with circuit A and the other screws with circuit B. Get these covered by someone whom actually knows sewing/upholstery so they'd look proper/normal.

Those leads would then run to a capacitor. Something about as large as the trunk capacity, but anyways. The wires leading from it, if seen, would simply resemble a 'heated seat'. (Those are sometimes needed up here in Canada)

This way, not only would the useless scumbag of a drain on society get a lesson instantly upon sitting/kneeling on the seat... but they'd look awful funny running down the street and into an ER with a "cushion" stuck to their ass/shins.

No, I never did this,,,, but you can't deny that the thought/want/desire wasn't there. I also don't know if it would be possible, because I don't know if I could ever afford a capacitor the size needed to fill the trunk. Probably not feasible, hence why this is a 'musing'.

Very a-'musing'.

:D
    But Sean, you haven't shared your thoughts on how to get the smell out of your car afterwards............
    On a side note, smaller capacitors can be "ganged".

A few months ago a fella pried my door handle off of my truck at a University. I figured he broke in because the door was half way open when I found it, but nothing was moved inside the cab. I won’t confirm or deny the presence of firearms in my truck, but thankfully he didn’t steal anything. Turns out he was only after my door handle. He super glued it to his truck and it fell off, that’s what he told the police anyways. A $10 door handle was too expensive, so he got slapped with a hefty fine and a court date. People never cease to amaze me.