• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remember when

Gunfighter14e2

Hunter/trapper of Remora's
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2002
Lick skillet Alabama
eham.net
You carried your 22 on the bus because you were walking home hunting that day.
You went to school no matter the weather right then or coming
25 bucks worth of groceries would not fit into the trunk
Your milk came in a glass bottle delivered to the porch
The Dr came to the house
The TV repairman carried 50+ tubes with him
Your neighbor would smack your ass for doing wrong, then you'd get another at home
Gas was 18 cents but during a price war it would drop to under 10 cents a gallon
Plaid or S&H were king in your area
You paid for most everything using a counter check
You shook a mans hand & it was locked in stone, w/o paper work or lawyers
You could tell by the ring of the crank phone who was calling and also knew who the local busy body was that might be listening as well.
You took all the shop classes in school, Auto, Electrical, Machine, Wood, & Mechanical Drawing
They changed the pledge of allegiance
Duck & cover drills
Cars rode like floating on air & trucks like trucks
You could pull any ride with an automatic trans to start it
The bank do not have to do a cavity check for a loan
You were loaned out to the neighbors to help them with their crops or chores if they were behind, sick or hurt
Trapping, fishing, & hunting were the most 3 important things in your life
Realizing how big the world was and wanting to know as much about all of it you could
Brown bagging your lunch

Thinking I left out a lot, so add want you remember,...

The Dr came to the house
Your neighbor would smack your ass for doing wrong, then you'd get another at home
Gas was 18 cents but during a price war it would drop to under 10 cents a gallon
You could tell by the ring of the crank phone who was calling and also knew who the local busy body was that might be listening as well.
You took all the shop classes in school, Auto, Electrical, Machine, Wood, & Mechanical Drawing
Duck & cover drills
You were loaned out to the neighbors to help them with their crops or chores if they were behind, sick or hurt
Realizing how big the world was and wanting to know as much about all of it you could
Brown bagging your lunch

I had a 66 Chevrolet Pickup that I drove to High School …gun rack held a Winchester 30-30 & a Remington shotgun . I could leave the windows down and nobody ever messed with anything.
Worked at a gas station , owner let us fill up on payday for free…gas was about a 26 cents per gallon.
Worlds gone to shit. ☹️

Learned how to shoot a 22 in the basement of the high school. They had a 25 yard range

Road Tolls, you tossed change into a basket or paid the toll collector.

Fast forward to the modern day Highway Bandits, for your convenience we have installed cameras that take a photograph of the vehicles license plate and then attach a ridiculous processing fee to the toll and mail it to you. The all seeing eye is watching you. Same goes for red light cameras and speed enforcement cameras.

One thing these great overlords never seem to tell us is how much all this technology costs that they use to pick our pockets with? We all complain about paying tolls, fair enough but that person who use to have a job doing this has been replaced and that computer isn’t paying taxes and spending money existing. Why not just stop robbing people at every opportunity with hidden taxes.

And damn proud of it. Why? because I'll go to my grave knowing I lived in Free American once & experienced things most will never dream of, let along be allowed to. I was buying 80% sticks & caps at 12 YO. Had a trap line at 10yo that was 20 miles long that took 2.5 days to run on a mini bike, while carrying a 22 colt woodsman or an H&R 22 revolver. You can laugh at us boomers all you want but the fact is we lived, vs today's world. The bulk of the people today will never live as long as most so called boomers, either. Especially the stupid fucks who are vax'ed.

And damn proud of it. Why? because I'll go to my grave knowing I lived in Free American once & experienced things most will never dream of, let along be allowed to. I was buying 80% sticks & caps at 12 YO. Had a trap line at 10yo that was 20 miles long that took 2.5 days to run on a mini bike, while carrying a 22 colt woodsman or an H&R 22 revolver. You can laugh at us boomers all you want but the fact is we lived, vs today's world. The bulk of the people today will never live as long as most so called boomers, either. Especially the stupid fucks who are vax'ed.
Your generation helped destroy all of that for mine. I would have loved to have had access to all that growing up. Did I get to? Nope. When the older folks like to brag and gloat and wax romantic about how great things used to be I just shake my head.

a47.jpg

Reactions: XikoPlavi
Your generation helped destroy all of that for mine. I would have loved to have had access to all that growing up. Did I get to? Nope. When the older folks like to brag and gloat and wax romantic about how great things used to be I just shake my head.
Its the lazy that brought you that, not the whole generation. Wake up, that's like saying every xyz group is bad, including yours for still living in moms basement. People who group entire generations for their problems might need to look in the mirror to see the root issue. Blaming is easy which is why ticks stay in power,...

Care to elaborate?
Sitting on hands and squandering the success of the country and voting for useless fucks over and over so that by the time my generation is born we don't have access to any of the shit that boomers like to drone on about.

Its the lazy that brought you that, not the whole generation. Wake up, that's like saying every xyz group is bad, including yours for still living in moms basement. People who group entire generations for their problems might need to look in the mirror to see the root issue. Blaming is easy which is why ticks stay in power,...
Am I lazy or were my parents lazy for not being able to provide me the same freedom and life that your generation had growing up despite busting their asses 6 and sometimes 7 days a week?

Your generation on the whole completely rested on your laurels and took what was the most successful country on earth and rode it into the ground and then spends hours complaining about how lazy everyone is that they cant get handed a decent job that pays for owning an entire house on one person's income like they could.

Give me a damn break. I had to listen to my out of touch boomer grandparents utter drivel about the same shit year after year while I busted my ass. They had no fucking clue what the world was like anymore. Things are not the same as when your generation grew up and that is thanks in no small part to your generations lax behavior. You were propagandized and lured into selling the country down the river for a little bit of money and we are all suffering the consequences.

Sitting on hands and squandering the success of the country and voting for useless fucks over and over so that by the time my generation is born we don't have access to any of the shit that boomers like to drone on about.

Am I lazy or were my parents lazy for not being able to provide me the same freedom and life that your generation had growing up despite busting their asses 6 and sometimes 7 days a week?

Your generation on the whole completely rested on your laurels and took what was the most successful country on earth and rode it into the ground and then spends hours complaining about how lazy everyone is that they cant get handed a decent job that pays for owning an entire house on one person's income like they could.

Give me a damn break. I had to listen to my out of touch boomer grandparents utter drivel about the same shit year after year while I busted my ass. They had no fucking clue what the world was like anymore. Things are not the same as when your generation grew up and that is thanks in no small part to your generations lax behavior. You were propagandized and lured into selling the country down the river for a little bit of money and we are all suffering the consequences.
You don't seem to understand how this country has worked after WW II. I suggest you research what you think you know & get back to us, because you don't have a clue as to what transpired quickly after WW II. I strongly suggest you very carefully READ the link below before you condemn a whole generation, because you are a prime example of Mark Twain's old saying. "Its easier to fool a man that making him understand he was the fool being fooled."

Remember most so called Boomers, could not even vote when this speech was given.

You don't seem to understand how this country has worked after WW II. I suggest you research what you think you know & get back to us, because you don't have a clue as to what transpired quickly after WW II. I strongly suggest you very carefully READ the link below before you condemn a whole generation, because you are a prime example of Mark Twain's old saying. "Its easier to fool a man that making him understand he was the fool being fooled."

Remember most so called Boomers, could not even vote when this speech was given.

Look, I'm just tired of hearing boomers brag about how great everything used to be or complain about how lazy and worthless everyone younger is, when, in my experience, boomers did nothing to prevent the country hitting the point it is now.

That's all. I'm well well well aware of how things worked prior to and after WWII and who pulled the strings.

Speaking of Colt Woodsmans 😝
IMG_0972.jpeg

The Dr came to the house
Duck & cover drills
Brown bagging your lunch

Pepperidge farms remembers...

ETA: beat

Doc

Well, I can help ease your mind on one thing. It is not your imagination. We ruined it on purpose for you, specifically.

You're welcome.

Didn't have the crank phone, but we did have the party line.
The changing of the pledge was also a little before my time.

I remember when private schools had rifle ranges. And schools had rifle clubs.
All of our public schools have rifle ranges. They are used by the ROTC.
I did a job several years ago, at one of our local high schools, redesigning the lights on the rifle range. I was taken into the armory, and there, in front of me, was a whole wall of M1 Garands. It was beautiful. 🥹

Reactions: MJF
I remember when you got your mouth smacked if you smarted off to elders.

You got your ass whooped by the principal for fighting (in my case) and you might get another one when you got home. (I lucked out one time. I got licks for fighting but not another additional spanking. I put a guy on his keister because I thought he said something wrong about my mother. Talking bad about my mother is never a good idea. But I am the only hell my mother ever raised.)

I remember losing at a competition or an event and not getting any trophy. I remember getting a C on my report card and was informed that I was expected to improve.

Look, I'm just tired of hearing boomers brag about how great everything used to be or complain about how lazy and worthless everyone younger is, when, in my experience, boomers did nothing to prevent the country hitting the point it is now.

That's all. I'm well well well aware of how things worked prior to and after WWII and who pulled the strings.
You sound like a broken record even when presented with facts addressing your side of the fence argument, but that is the way you were taught. I understand learning your wrong is not easy to swallow, but being a parrot when proven wrong is telling. The powers to be in this country have pushed division before I was born in 1947, to achieve what your seeing today. People need to stop falling for that B/S and think for their selves, vs spouting sound bites over & over.

You sound like a broken record even when presented with facts addressing your side of the fence argument, but that is the way you were taught. I understand learning your wrong is not easy to swallow, but being a parrot when proven wrong is telling. The powers to be in this country have pushed division before I was born in 1947, to achieve what your seeing today. People need to stop falling for that B/S and think for their selves, vs spouting sound bites over & over.
Ok boomer

I remember when you got your mouth smacked if you smarted off to elders.

You got your ass whooped by the principal for fighting (in my case) and you might get another one when you got home. (I lucked out one time. I got licks for fighting but not another additional spanking. I put a guy on his keister because I thought he said something wrong about my mother. Talking bad about my mother is never a good idea. But I am the only hell my mother ever raised.)

I remember losing at a competition or an event and not getting any trophy. I remember getting a C on my report card and was informed that I was expected to improve.
The two biggest fights I got into in school was because of one of my sisters. She was so wrong it was not even funny, but she was still my sister. When the cops brought me home dad was there waiting to hear my side. It took him awhile thinking, before he beat my sisters ass, then when he came out of her room I thought I was next. All he said was, way to stand up for the family even though she was wrong.

I wear it like a badge, because I know the truth, & never Parrot sound bites.
Yawn. I'm not parroting anything. The MIC is nothing more than a good ol boys club for making money. They aren't the string pullers and never were. Just a facet of what's been wrong since before WWII.

Yawn. I'm not parroting anything. The MIC is nothing more than a good ol boys club for making money. They aren't the string pullers and never were. Just a facet of what's been wrong since before WWII.
Fact,...The MIC started during WWI just so you know and you are totally clueless about their power. Bush 1's grandfather is the one who ran Hitlers banking operations in the US. Read the book "War Is A Racket", by S. Butler you might learn something, then again may be not based upon this thread.

Fact,...The MIC started during WWI just so you know and you are totally clueless about their power. Bush 1's grandfather is the one who ran Hitlers banking operations in the US. Read the book "War Is A Racket", by S. Butler you might learn something, then again may be not based upon this thread.
Muh Hitler!

If you want to know who rules over you, find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

All of our public schools have rifle ranges. They are used by the ROTC.

Did they allow the non-ROTC students to use them, with instruction?

There was a private academy near the town where I grew up in (of all places, NJ :eek:). During the summertime, it "moonlighted" as a summer day camp. And the bus driver was an NRA instructor that brought us to the range once a week for those authorized to shoot. I was so authorized (10 y/o). Basically we shot .22 single shot bolt action rifles. You'd have to load each round separately. We shot prone mostly.

Fast forward to college and, believe it or not, there was a range in one of the college buildings.. Although quite understandable as my college was heavy NROTC, and had a Marine GySgt on station there. He also "moonlighted" and taught a riflery course through the schools PE dept. to any student. I took that course as well. We did .22 pistols (10rnd capacity but only allowed to load 5 at a time) and similar .22 single shot bolt action rifles. "Rapid Fire" was 10 seconds to fire 5 rounds. "Timed fire" was 20 seconds to fire 5 rounds. "Slow Fire" was 2 min.

I did a job several years ago, at one of our local high schools, redesigning the lights on the rifle range. I was taken into the armory, and there, in front of me, was a whole wall of M1 Garands. It was beautiful. 🥹

While my HS did not have a range of their own (probably didn't want to deal with the liability), we did have a "rifle club" as part of extra curricular activities, after school. I guess they'd go to other schools or ranges.

Pretty sure the club doesn't exist anymore. Probably not even the range at the earlier private academy, either. It is the PRNJ after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandhog308
I remember when our country was sold out from underneath us.

I should be making $200+/hr based on inflation, but that's only for lawyers and bankers.

I can't even find most things I want made in the US, because the generations running the country before us thought it was good to sell all the manufacturing overseas, and then the EPA made anything still being made so cost prohibitive they all went out of business also.

It's ok though, those generations had it all wrong with a man being able to support his whole family and have a nice house in the suburbs on only 1 average income.

Reactions: 101st

I want to agree, but we all have contributed to it. Common phrase around here, but what the fuck are you doing to make it better? Same as the rest of us....NOT A GOD DAMN THING! Hoovering over your little charming kids, just like everyone else, right?

Reactions: Charmingmander
I want to agree, but we all have contributed to it. Common phrase around here, but what the fuck are you doing to make it better? Same as the rest of us....NOT A GOD DAMN THING!
I'm trying to do what I can for myself and family. That's all I can currently do. I'm not going to pretend I'm any better. I have to get myself into a position where I can help beyond just voting and trying to inform others.

The reality IMO is that it's far too late to seriously course correct. The best chance we have is to set ourselves-family-neighborhood-town-county-state-region-country in that order of priority.

Also had a trap line at 12 yrs old. Big swamp rat brought $1.25. Nice black male mink $10. Nice coon $5. Gas was 19cents. New .22 single shot rifle, box of LR HP's $22. A doz victor #1.5 long spring traps $12. Now there $7 apiece for the cheapies. Got up early. Ran 3 miles of trapline. Got my farm chores done. On the bus at 0630. No time to get into serious trouble. My old man would have whooped my ass. Graduated h school in '64. In Nam the next summer greasing gooks. Good ole days. Had to love the 50's/'60's.

Reactions: Lapuapalooza
…. Britney Spears was toppin the charts.
…. Rollerblading was popular.
…. y2k was coming.

😀

Remember when if you were a kid and were bored during a long flight, you could ask one of the lovely air stewardesses and they would take you up to the cockpit to go hang out with the pilots and see all the controls.

While "underway?" I flew UNAM all the time during my single digit years, and I never got to see the cockpit while in the air or taxiing. While parked at the gate, absolutely! But not while underway.

But, as a corollary to the above, do you remember the introduction of ATC as part of the in-flight entertainment? UA started it but left it up to the "Captain's discretion" as to whether or not to turn it on. And there were some "old fogies/air Fudds" that would not. Later on, AA added the "Cockpit Cam" where you could actually view the flight crew at work, along with listening on ATC. I gather that went away quickly when they discovered that the company could be held liable by passengers for some things they may have seen and misinterpreted.

Furthermore, it wasn't "pure" ATC as any PA address by the FA's or the cockpit crew themselves would interrupt the ATC. Frustrating! That, and the FA crews would attempt to collect the hedsets just before landing so you wouldn't be able to hear the most important parts... the approach and landing. I literally had to beg the FAs to let me keep the hedset until after the landing. Most did allow that though, if I came to them in advance and asked politely.

I guess these days, I'd just keep my laptop on and listen to it on the Internet, which I do even when not flying.

Last edited:
Getting completely into the engine compartment to adjust valves, change points or adjust a carb.
Getting in the weather to hay every day regardless of how cold or how you felt because the cows and horses depended on you.
Laying up in the top of the hay loft with a 22 rifle and the dogs to stay warm after feeding just to postpone going back to the house and having to do school homework.
Getting wood cut, split and covered in the heat of the summer so everything could stay warm in the winter.
Listening to grandparents reminisce with their friends about WW1 or when electricity first came through.
Listening to parents reminisce with their friends about the Great Depression and WW2.
Getting on the roof and turning the TV antennae until daddy screamed through the window that it was turned good enough to get one of the 3 channels available.
Staying in a stall all night with a sick calf so you could make sure it stayed warm and make him get on his feet every couple of hours.
Sweet talking a mama cow into letting you milk her when she sure as shit wasn't a milk cow but it was her baby in the stall that needed the milk.
Hauling hay for 5 cents a bale or $2 an hour so I could buy 22LR ammo or put gas in one of the parent's vehicles to use.
Freaking out when gasoline went over $1 a gallon and I thought I would never again afford to use mama's car.
All the girls and young ladies were fit and at least had a little bit of common sense.
Staying up late on school nights to record a favorite song off the new hot shit FM radio station and hope the DJ didn't talk to much into the intro.
Watching and helping my grandparents butcher a pig or beef. NOTHING was wasted and neighbors helped each other so they could get everything handled before anything spoiled.
Praying for a rainy summer so the 3 area farms could maybe get two cuttings of hay we could help haul instead of one.
Almost crying from pride when Pledging Allegiance to my flag when I was in school.
Having blisters on the tips of my fingers even though wearing gloves, from trying to get under tight bale strings 200 to 400 times when somebody cut hay.
Being super excited to see that Mama made a batch of ice tea or that Daddy brought me a watermelon home. Both were big treats.
Every appliance, almost every tool and every machine was "fixable".
Neighbors helped neighbors and also stood ground for what was right.
Traditions were valued and protected.

I graduated high school in 1987. We all carried our shotguns, rifles and bows to school and put them in the corner of the FFA shop for shooting team practice after school. The skeet range was off the corner of the football field. Had a smokin/dipping/chewing area outside the lunch room. FFA teacher taught the state hunter saftey course as a school curriculum. Separate class on trapping, hole sets etc.

Reactions: Ronws
I graduated high school in 1987. We all carried our shotguns, rifles and bows to school and put them in the corner of the FFA shop for shooting team practice after school. The skeet range was off the corner of the football field. Had a smokin/dipping/chewing area outside the lunch room. FFA teacher taught the state hunter saftey course as a school curriculum. Separate class on trapping, hole sets etc.
I am a smidge older than you. Class of 1982 but similar history. It was nothing to have a firearm in the house. Even though I did not get to hunt as a kid or teenager, I did get to shoot guns and hear about others hunting.

When I was 12, I was in the Boy Scouts and our Scoutmaster was teaching us how to shoot a shotgun and what he had was a 12 ga. semi-auto. And that is how, despite being left-handed, I learned to shoot long guns right-handed, to this day. He was also a 5th degree black belt in Kenpo Karate and taught us scouts for free. That was back in 1976 and 1977.

Our assistant scoutmaster was an Army Ranger (1/75) and brought in his instructor for fieldcraft to teach us "how to eat things that would make a billy goat puke." Our assistant scoutmaster also taught us parade drill. Heel and toe turns. All that. Funny story later, I was pacing back and forth with those turns and the guy asked me if I was in the Marines.

Back then, the idea of being in service and knowing some rough and tumble stuff was cool. I would pick up some other chop sockey stuff over the years but some of the strongest moves I have are still the first basic moves I have. And some pointers a long the way. Believe it or not, you are much better not kicking above your waistline, etc. But I digress.

We survived drinking out of the garden hose. Riding bikes without helmets.

Reactions: ggmanning
The Dr came to the house
Duck & cover drills
Brown bagging your lunch

You weren't always plugged in. Parents couldn't track you and gave you the 3rd degree when you got home late

Reactions: Ronws

Umbrella FU.gif

Painting everyone in a generation with one brush shows ignorance. Like blaming all Americans for slavery and demanding reparations.

Boomers built most of what allows you to sit on your butt and share your thoughts.

Many boomers fought the good fight and will live in poverty till they die.

Nobody wants to sell their home for less than they can get. Market forces and capitalism may not serve everyone equally.

Despite hardships, this country still offers more to all than any other. I work for a home builder in the SF bay area. Most of our homes are sold to English as a second language people who came here with nothing but a dream. These folks young and motivated.

And no, I’m not a boomer or rich. But I know I’m where I am only because of my choices.

Hope you feel better and find success. And I mean that in a nice way. Because bitterness won’t help. And you know that’s true.