• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 1903-A4 sniper rifle

redcanyon

Private
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2011
I have a question for the Remington 1903-A4 experts.

Did Remington ever mark its 1903-A3 sniper rifle rifle which was produced during 1943-44 as the 1903-A4?

Everything I read says that Remington did not change the markings from 1903-A3 but just modified the action, removed front sights, etc. but did NOT mark the action
1903-A4.

Is that correct or are there actually some Remington rifles marked A$?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Remington always marked them 03-A3. But there are some out there that are stamped A4 over the A3. The general consensus is that some were stamped during rebuild.

Cplnorton is correct, as per usual! All A4 rifles lacked the A4 marking when they were first made. During rebuilds, the "3" in "A3" was usually crossed out and a "4" was stamped next to it. Here's two pics that show what the markings looked like from ghe factory, then after a rebuild:

wTgJSdg.jpg

10496805_3.jpg

The defining characteristic is that the marking is offset to the 10 oclock position while the serial remains at 3 oclock.

Scammers will fit up a standard A3 with the markings at 12 oclock underneath the scope base and claim Audie Murphy himself used the rifle to take down a German Colonel before moving to the .50 on the tank destroyer and putting down the rest of the Wehrmacht.

Cplnorton is correct, as per usual! All A4 rifles lacked the A4 marking when they were first made. During rebuilds, the "3" in "A3" was usually crossed out and a "4" was stamped next to it. Here's two pics that show what the markings looked like from ghe factory, then after a rebuild:

wTgJSdg.jpg

10496805_3.jpg

Im not seeing picture two of the restrike.

I would like to thank all of you for the exact information I was looking for!

As usual, when in doubt, go to the experts!

Only a relatively small portion of rebuilt M1903A4's had the receiver nomenclature overstruck. It seems to have been a practice at some depots for a limited period of time. Probably someone finally realized it was a lot more trouble than it was worth.

Another important observation about M1903A4 receiver markings. A4 serial numbers use a smaller font than A3's. In the last 15 years I have seen perhaps three examples of "humped up" marks on A4 receivers. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Regards,
Jim