• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Remington 20/20 --- Tracking Point Addition

Remington is gonna be releasing their tracking point type (might be licensed ?) optic

It says "Powered by TRACKINGPOINT" on the left side of the scope, so I'm guessing that there is an official relationship.

At some point, it seems that electro-optical systems are going to do to mechanical scopes what digital cameras did to film. I don't think that this is the optic that does it, and the next few might not yet do the trick, but we're getting closer.

Just looking at the preferred ammo, looks like Remington leadership still doesn't get it.

It's interesting that this one doesn't actually shoot for you which seemed to be the selling point of "Tracking Point". This one is like a more advanced version of the one Burris scope in that it just puts the reticle where the bullet is going after accounting for range and inclination and such. You still call and dial the wind (dial in what you think the wind is in MPH and it adjusts reticle). The "Tag" button seems pretty redundant considering you have to hold the reticle on target but they do need a button to activate the rangefinder so I suppose that's a wash. I agree with E Bryant, they are coming but this won't unseat the current optics we all use. I would like to take a look at it though, it has some good features all rolled into one device.
Justin
P.S. Just saw the matched bullets. The hunting crowd will have to opine on those, obviously 168gr Rem ammo is not the choice of target shooters but this isn't geared toward LR as it only works out to 500yds anyway.

Shoot it then judge it...

After you get a chance to shoot it, tell me it's not incredible... More advanced Burris is laughable... Not even close...

It's interesting that this one doesn't actually shoot for you which seemed to be the selling point of "Tracking Point". This one is like a more advanced version of the one Burris scope in that it just puts the reticle where the bullet is going after accounting for range and inclination and such. You still call and dial the wind (dial in what you think the wind is in MPH and it adjusts reticle). The "Tag" button seems pretty redundant considering you have to hold the reticle on target but they do need a button to activate the rangefinder so I suppose that's a wash. I agree with E Bryant, they are coming but this won't unseat the current optics we all use. I would like to take a look at it though, it has some good features all rolled into one device.
Justin
P.S. Just saw the matched bullets. The hunting crowd will have to opine on those, obviously 168gr Rem ammo is not the choice of target shooters but this isn't geared toward LR as it only works out to 500yds anyway.

For the benefit of us all why don't you disclose your relationship to the project and then enlighten me and others here on how incredible it is. All we have to go off is the website right now. There's no shame in being a more advanced Burris Eliminator, it's a great idea. It would probably have been more accurate of me to say Elcan Digital Hunter as it is more advanced than the Burris. Here's another one that looks to offer similar features: New from Laxco: SmartScope Auto-Compensating Rifle Scope | The Truth About Guns
The bottom line, main feature of all these is that they move the reticle to where the bullet is going to hit at a certain range. The Burris is on the lower end of that spectrum (it only compensates for drop, among other reasons) while the Elcan is more advanced and this new optic is even more advanced with, as I mentioned, a lot of good features rolled into one device. The function integration really is the best part, the innovation, right? If there's something we're missing or a feature that isn't advertised, do tell.

I'd love to try one, as I said. I don't often shoot LR at shorter than 500yd although some on this site can't get to a range any farther. The range limitation and its size will prevent it from becoming the next big thing in LR I think, regardless of how much I do or do not like using it. If the cost is over a couple/few k then of course that will probably greatly hinder its adoption. I still think this is a step in what's to come but not the actualization.
Justin

Its all understandable with technology advancement. But what happened to good old fashioned skill ??? Just saying ...

Skill is overrated. I can put a $2K device on my $600 rifle and be guaranteed to kill the elk I am lead to on my $8K hunt.

Its all understandable with technology advancement. But what happened to good old fashioned skill ??? Just saying ...

The same thing that happened to pencil and paper with the advent of calculators, same as range formulas by hand with the advent of PDAs and ballistic apps, same as judging environmental conditions with the advent of the Kestrel.

Currently for up to 500 yds or so, a decent range finder and a ballistic reticle o turret cam (well graduated for the load) will do the trick for the relatively unsophisticated hunting crowd. For really unshophisticated folks probably nothing will work realiably, but that is not goint to stop Bubba from trying to hunt bambi at 800 yds with his trusty 30-06 topped with the wonder scope.

For longer ranges the wind gets more and more umpredictable and no matter how sophisticated your program or scope is you'll eventually have to measure the wind downrange (that is changing all the time in speed and direction), and the current limit is a real time wind measure that is practical and affordable. Once we get this tid bit covered, it will be prime time for the wonder scope integrated with wind sensors and LRF with a good built-in ballistic program, and like E. Bryant said " electro-optical systems are going to do to mechanical scopes what digital cameras did to film". But we are not there yet.

I think the Remington version is limited to 500 yards because Tracking Point wants the 500+ yard market. I got to play with these scopes at the invitation of Remington.