• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 30-06 Semi-loader Load....

Gnab2

Private
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2007
Central Texas
My dad and I both have semi-auto remingtons in 30-06. I am looking for a hard hitting and pretty flat shooting load. I have a load for my 30-06 that is a bolt gun. I am jut afraid that it is way to hot for an semi-auto loading system. I was shooting 165 gr. Nosler boat-tail ballistic tips in my bolt gun and it would wack hogs.

Does anyone have a pet semi-auto 30-06 load? I know that all guns are different but I don't want to screw something up...

Thanks

Re: Remington 30-06 Semi-loader Load....

Try a 150 FMJ with about 52gr of BLC2. I shoot 53.5 gr of BLC-2 in mixed military brass in several 06 rifles, it's a hot load that I loaded to be on the border for one of the rifles.

If you want a flat shooting round you should stay on the lighter side of the spectrum, especially if you're just popping chucks with it. If you want a killer varmint round try the 110 Vmax and work up a load for that, my load is not for a gasser though, it just goes through my bolt action.

EDIT: When I say the "lighter side" I mean, lighter bullets. A 135 or 150 gr bullet will be very flat, practically point of aim from 100-400y.

Remington 742 carbine load 3006

Brass remington or winchester
180 Nosler partition or Remington Corelokt
47.0 grains IMR 4064
WLR Primer

Brass remington or winchester
165 grain sierra spbt
48.5 grains 4064
WLR primer

Both loads have worked real well for me.

Daddyrat, what type of accuracy were you able to get from your Remington auto's? I have heard of guys getting far less then an inch at 100 when carefully hand loaded. Any truth to that as far as anybody knows? Jeff

Yep, that is the case with my 742. It shoots under an inch, 3 shots, with the 165 grain load I mentioned but I like the 180s better. Do not use it much anymore because I do not want to wear the rails out. It was my grandfather and he died in 1972. Can not speak for newer autos. I hated my BAR.

I was given some 155 gr A-Max molys today. I guy at work said here take them I will never use them. Sweet deal. I will try them in my .308 20 in 10FP and see how they do. I think that I will make up 20 light 30-06 loads for my 742.

Any body used them in either application?

Thanks