• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 338 Lapua Extraction Issue

9x23w

Private
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2006
Suffern, NY
Recently bought a used Remington 338 Lapua MLR, seems to have been lightly used.

Extraction is weak, cases just clear the action. When I try to extract loaded rounds they just fall back into the gun.

I bought a new ejector spring but haven't replaced it yet. This model has (I think) the more recent extractor with half of the lip removed. But if I remove the bolt and hook cases under the extractor they seem to hold fine.

Anyone else run into anything like this? Thanks!

Sounds like a weak ejector spring. I would definitely try replacing the ejector spring and check your ejector to make sure it isnt sticking.

I did a little digging and came up with some more info on this. It appears that some of the MLRs had this same problem. You'll want to check the angle that the case is being lifted/swung up and out of the action at. Make sure that it's not ejecting the case at an odd angle causing it to drop back in. Here are the fixes, things you may want to look at:

1. Increase ejector spring tension
2. Increase ejector protrusion
3. Shape ejector to allow it to push further out on the casing (Shaved at the 4 o clock position)
4. Relieved the extractor to allow proper extraction

Hope this helps, hopefully some more will post that have ran into this.

Edit: heres where I found this info: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/remington-700-police-338-lapua-rifles.21538/page-23
Found the above info on post: # 1,109. May be worth a read through for ya. Good luck, hope you get it running.

Reactions: austinfleece
Thanks ShooterwithNoName, I vaguely remember seeing that. I replaced the ejector spring with an extra power one from Wolff, seems to eject cases with a little more oomph. Have not tried a loaded round yet - I haven't made up a dummy and don't want to load a live round in my basement. The extractor seems to grab well. The next step is to lengthen the ejector protrusion. I looked at mine and it seems identical to the picture in the post you listed. I can't see any disadvantage of going a little longer.

Anyone ever lengthened a Remington ejector? (Looks like all you need to do is file away where the roll pin contacts the ejector).