• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40x 22lr question

KingMikey

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2021
Centerville
Thinking about getting my getting a 22lr short action remington 22lr.

Just want to get some knowledge from the fellow people here.

I know it is quite a good rimfire rifle and it has a blue print of modern rifle to add anyone scope you possible want? Correct me if that is wrong.

Really do not want a iron sight, would rather just use the scope.
Would like to easily see 100 yards but can possible shoot up to 300yards.
Any recommendation of a scope to use?
Also what kind of variants do they have for 40x 22lr?

Still need to do a lot more research as you can tell.... but thanks for reading this an appreciate the feedback.

For your purposes (rimfire 700 platform) you will mainly find the 40X and 40XB.
They both differ in the 700 short action in the trigger (safety) and the bottom metal. Obviously the bolts themselves are not interchangeable as the 40X series is mid locking rimfire vs the centerfire’s front lugs.
The 40X usually has a straight bolt handle and ball shaped knob, the 40XB usually has a 700 type swept and checkered bolt handle.
(I say usually as there may have been parts used up during transition, also CMP purchased guns sometimes had mismatch bolts).
700 short action scope rails fit both, as well as triggers. Stock fit will be based on bolt handle style and barrel channel (40X series had 4+ different barrel profiles).
Hope this helps!

For your purposes (rimfire 700 platform) you will mainly find the 40X and 40XB.
They both differ in the 700 short action in the trigger (safety) and the bottom metal. Obviously the bolts themselves are not interchangeable as the 40X series is mid locking rimfire vs the centerfire’s front lugs.
The 40X usually has a straight bolt handle and ball shaped knob, the 40XB usually has a 700 type swept and checkered bolt handle.
(I say usually as there may have been parts used up during transition, also CMP purchased guns sometimes had mismatch bolts).
700 short action scope rails fit both, as well as triggers. Stock fit will be based on bolt handle style and barrel channel (40X series had 4+ different barrel profiles).
Hope this helps!
In addition, for 300yd shooting, I’d definitely opt for a 40MOA rail and scope like the Vortex StrikeEagle 5-25X56 with it’s 110MOA of available elevation adjustment.

Reactions: Dstoenner
You probably are not going to want to pay a grand or more for a single shot for that purpose. Its slow. As a benchrest rig or smallbore rig....different story.

And your more than likely not gonna be too happy to find out what it costs to convert one to repeater if you can find someone to do it.

For the same money you can get a Bergara B14R that is a repeater and offers the same functionality or better.

Remington really dropped the ball not producing these in a repeater target version....especially later on. They would have been super successful now with NRL22 and PRS22 coming along. And the 504 and 547 that replaced it are not on par for the most part. The 547 is good though.....the 504 not as much.

Reactions: obx22
As the above gent said, other options are available. The 40XB is a classy older target rifle than can be gussied up, but at the end of the day is a single shot.
The Bergara B-14R is a great option with the same interchangeable parts, plus detachable box mags.
I’ve taken the 40XB to 400yds using reticle, the Bergara a bit farther.

Edited to add: My Rem.504 firing pin assembly shattered. With no available parts the rifle has been down over a year.
You probably are not going to want to pay a grand or more for a single shot for that purpose. Its slow. As a benchrest rig or smallbore rig....different story.

And your more than likely not gonna be too happy to find out what it costs to convert one to repeater if you can find someone to do it.

For the same money you can get a Bergara B14R that is a repeater and offers the same functionality or better.

Remington really dropped the ball not producing these in a repeater target version....especially later on. They would have been super successful now with NRL22 and PRS22 coming along. And the 504 and 547 that replaced it are not on par for the most part. The 547 is good though.....the 504 not as much.
D655D387-6329-4BDD-99CA-8A4DA3ECC249.jpeg

Was thinking about converting my dads old competition 40x single shot to magazine fed. Was recommended not to do it due to the collector value of the rifle the way it is. Would probably be able to sell it and purchase a more modern box fed competition level rifle.
On side note there might be some news at shot show about a newer version in the works.

Reactions: obx22