• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40X Makeover Complete Thanks to Everyone

patches

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2009
Wichita KS
www.smtco.biz
I finally had a few minutes to post some pics of the 40X 22lr US marked rifle that I had US Handgunner aka SAC aka Mark Gordon do some work on. He threaded the barrel, build a contour matching and knurled thread protector, and installed the Badger bolt knob. I purchased everything on the rifle from fellow hide members including the rifle itself. JW Precision (a hide sponsor) sold me the McMillan A5 in RAD camo, and I did the duracoat job my self. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it quite yet. I have not had much time to shoot but I like this one so much it would be hard to let it go. If you guys have any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks for looking and enjoy!

392479963.jpg

392479964.jpg

392479965.jpg

392479966.jpg

Re: Remington 40X Makeover Complete Thanks to Everyone

Why didn't you have Mark chop the barrel a little when he threaded it, performance, appearance or what?

Looks great how it is I don't blame you for keeping the barrel long.

The rifle shoots great and has won several competitions under the previous owner. It's kinda one of those things, "if it aint broke why fix it?"
Also I wanted to leave the mounting holes for match peep sights in case I ever have the urge to switch back,
Mark does great work.

Can't argue with that, congrats again on the rifle.

That looks good!

My own Rem40XB is almost done... I'm building it to complement my TBA M40A1 in a matching forest camouflage McMillan HTG stock with Williams 1-piece steel bottom metal and topped with a Leupold 6-20x40mm mil-dot scope with M1 target dials.

Looks good. I just got my 40x and took it out today. I still have a youth stock on it so I need to replace that but man does it shoot.

I have a question. When closing your bolt does it stick a little right before it closes against the breach? Ming slides nice right up until you get it where you need to lock it. Im not sure what could be causing this and it bothers me that its not just a smooth operation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ITGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I have a question. When closing your bolt does it stick a little right before it closes against the breach? Ming slides nice right up until you get it where you need to lock it. Im not sure what could be causing this and it bothers me that its not just a smooth operation. </div></div>

Is this with or without a loaded round in the chamber? If with a round it could be resistance from the bullet engraving into the lands??? Also check and make sure bolt face and rear of barrel are clean with no gunk, slots in barrel for extractors doesn't have a bunch of caked crud and make sure locking lugs are clean and have grease on them and the camming surface for cocking fireing pin should have grease, no light oil but some form of grease. Oil will only last a few rds before it is of little use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ITGuy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks good. I just got my 40x and took it out today. I still have a youth stock on it so I need to replace that but man does it shoot.</div></div>

I have for sale the factory wooden take-off stock and bottom metal (and iron sights) from my Rem40XB HB...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Also check and make sure bolt face and rear of barrel are clean with no gunk, slots in barrel for extractors doesn't have a bunch of caked crud, and make sure locking lugs are clean and have grease on them, and the camming surface for cocking firing pin should have grease - no light oil but some form of grease. Oil will only last a few rds before it is of little use.</div></div>

Thanks for the tips, Dennis!

You have a beautiful rifle their. I really like the Rad camo best out of all the designs. Have you ever had or shot 1 of the old Kimber target rifles? They look nice also and have seen some adds on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SDWhirlwind</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[

Is this with or without a loaded round in the chamber? If with a round it could be resistance from the bullet engraving into the lands??? Also check and make sure bolt face and rear of barrel are clean with no gunk, slots in barrel for extractors doesn't have a bunch of caked crud and make sure locking lugs are clean and have grease on them and the camming surface for cocking fireing pin should have grease, no light oil but some form of grease. Oil will only last a few rds before it is of little use. </div></div>

Thanks for info. This happens with both a loaded round or just open and closing.

It locks fine but its the last few mm's that is hard to push closed. I cleaned up everything when I got it but maybe I missed something or didnt get the greese in all the right places. I will look at it again.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Tucker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have a beautiful rifle their. I really like the Rad camo best out of all the designs. Have you ever had or shot 1 of the old Kimber target rifles? They look nice also and have seen some adds on them. </div></div>

Nope, never shot one of the old kimbers. I have however heard good things about them. I know that they pop up here on the hide from time to time.

I'm pretty happy with the RAD camo too. I had some Magpul FDE Duracoat laying around and it seems to match pretty darn close.

Nice looking 40X, I like them a lot. They are great custom factory rifles.

I am with ya brother. I want one very bad. I gotta sell my 5R first though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: J_Roger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice 40x, I want one soooooo bad </div></div>