• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40X TDR vs. 700 SPS Tactical vs. ? - NEW GUY needs help

Nurv1717

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2013
Portland, OR
Sorry for the long post, trying to provide all relevant info.

Anyways, new guy here looking to buy my first precision bolt gun and hoping to get some advice. I came across a Remington 40X TDR in .308 (20in. barrel) brand new for $2k marked down from $2500 retail. I realize they are probably overpriced to begin with. I have read and searched as much on here and the net as possible and the information on the 40X TDR rifle is quite limited. One thing I really need to know is if it's ready for mags with a simple replacement part or am I looking at $300+ from badger?

The debate is whether to pick up this gun or start with a base 700 SPS tactical (.308/18in. barrel) and choose my own stock and upgrade from there. I believe the 40X TDR has a Bell & Carlson or possibly McMillan stock, comes with 20moa badger rail and badger bolt knob.

Other gun I looked at is the Savage Model 10 FCP-SR which probably meets my criteria except at 24in. with a suppressor that isn't so mobile.

If I bought the 40X TDR I would probably leave it as it, add glass and shoot it, maybe replacing the stock a long ways down the road.

What I want in the rifle I eventually purchase: .308 caliber, bottom metal to accept mags, threaded barrel so I can throw my suppressor on there.

What I will be using the rifle for:

Suppressed shooting/paper punching
Hunting
I would like the gun capable of hitting torso sized targets at 800 one day when my abilities approach capability.

FWIW I reload.

Pic of the 40X TDR model
http://i52.tinypic.com/ndll6u.jpg

Originally posted [MENTION=52003]Gray[/MENTION] : The rifle is made by Iron Brigade Armory for Remington and is labeled "Custom Shop." They take the Bell and Carlson stock and modify the bedding block by cutting it into a V-Block and then it is bedded with Devcon Titanium. It uses a Hart Barrel (1in10 twist) that is a 20" PSS contour with a Surefire Brake/ Adaptor . The rifle also uses a IBA Steel Trigger Guard, IBA Recoil Lug, and IBA Picatinny Rail. Trigger is set at 3.75 pounds and the Remington receiver is trued and the lugs lapped. They were also made for the Bushmaster Custom Shop and Iron Brigade sold them as the IBA Advanced Tactical Rifle, one of which I held the other day at there shop.

The SPS TAC, while if upgraded with a better stock and trigger can be an excellent shooter. I've got the 1:12 and 1:10 AAC SD. Both shoot.

If I were you , I'd look into a 700 Police .308. About 900$ and you get an HS Precision stock and I believe a 40x trigger. You can upgrade all you want, but you still start off with a better platform. I've had one in .300 win mag and it was my favorite. If you were going to drop 2,000$ on Rig, I'd save up my money and get a rifle like a GAP or Surgeon.
Hope this helps...

Yes, that is certainly helpful. I agree with you on the point that if I'm willing to drop $2k on this rifle and possibly upgrade the stock later I am MUCH better off going with a ground up custom build from the get go.

I welcome additional opinions, but I'm leaning towards getting the SPS tactical to shoot for a while and see how I like it and maybe it can tide me over while I wait 9 months on a custom build GAP or Surgeon :).

One thing I really need to know is if it's ready for mags with a simple replacement part or am I looking at $300+ from badger? = $$$ to Badger

http://i52.tinypic.com/ndll6u.jpg

I purchased one of these a few years ago and was never disappointed with it, the action feels very nice and it came with a great trigger. I'm not sure that it has a Hart barrel on that model but it is printed with the "Remington Custom Shop" stamp, seems to me (I could be wrong) the hart barrel came on a different model maybe the TIR (Target Interdiction Rifle). Also remember something about this when I was doing my shopping but most of that info was on the remington site which is no longer supporting that rifle.

IMHO you could better spend your 2k (maybe just a bit more) in the forsale section...

I know it's not what your asking about but for just a few bucks more after adding a DBM to the remington, this would be more "Bang" for the buck. (again IMO)

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/firearms-sale/208112-fn-spr-a3-build-crescent-customs.html

If I was considering spending 2000...

I’d give Greg (bugholes here on the hide) at southern precision rifles a call for a stiller action (975.00) and barrel of your choice (340ish) and have him or someone you know local to you chamber it.

All that will be lacking is bottom metal (under 150 from pt&g), trigger of your choice (50-250) and a stock of your choice 200-1000 and you would have what you want while far exceeding anything from the Remington plant. On the cheap end you could be real close to 2000.

On the super cheap, you could get an action and ebay a Remington take off varmint/tactical barrel, screw it on having a local guy headspace it and have a custom feel with factory performance. This could cut 500 or more out of the transaction until you decide its time for a new barrel.

For nearly half that, you could own a 700 ltr and put the rest towards a more suitable stock, scope, etc.