• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40X trigger?

akflier

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2011
Palmer Alaska USA
When my Remington 700 LTR arrived, I was happy to see that it didn't have the X-Mark Pro trigger that I was expecting. I have been shooting it and the pull seems a little heavy, but I haven't gauged it for pull weight. After some research here, I think I have identified the trigger as a 40X. Then I have the rifle in to a local gunsmith for other work, and he says I need to get rid of that trigger because they are dangerous and prone to failure. He suggested the usual aftermarket triggers. Now, I don't have a problem switching it out, but I'm not sure if I buy into the "Remington triggers kill people" media hype, and was surprised that this gunsmith was adamant that I should replace it. So my inexperienced questions are this:

1. Have I identified this trigger correctly?

2. Is this trigger really unsafe?

Thank you all in advance for your experienced advice.

P1020896.jpg

P1020894.jpg

P1020893.jpg

Re: Remington 40X trigger?

I can't say if you are correct but I do think your gunsmith allowed himself to be misled. I read an article that was linked through accurateshooter.com were the spokes-person for Remington claimed that through testing on their part and independent that they could not duplicate a scenario that would cause an ND or the rifle to fire with the safety on.

You have a Fantastic trigger there. My personal favorite (largely because I haven't tried many of the aftermarket triggers out there). It sounds to me like this gunsmith is just trying to make a sale and get a great trigger he can re-sell. I would find a new gunsmith. In fact, I seriously doubt he's a "real" gunsmith at all. He's not doing the firearms world any favors by spouting out that mis-information. Please let everyone in your area know who this ass-clown is so they'll stay away from him!

End of rant...

Let me know when you want to unload that dangerous hunk of metal.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He's not doing the firearms world any favors by spouting out that mis-information.</div></div>

That's kind of what I thought. I always thought the press hype about the triggers must have been B.S.

Thanks guys, for your help on this. I was ready to snag a Timney, but think I'll keep my unsafe trigger now. And find someone else to work on my guns...

That is in fact a 40X
one way to identify it is the set screw adjustment just infront of the bolt release. I agree with everybody above they are fantastic factory triggers.
you can adjust the pull weight by turning the screw out.I believe.
Best of luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
1. Have I identified this trigger correctly?</div></div>

Yes, it is a Remington 40X Trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: akflier</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
2. Is this trigger really unsafe?</div></div>

Yes, or no. It really depends on what the last owner or gun-plumber did to it.

That can be an excellent trigger. It can also be a horrendus clusterfuck and and "accident" waiting to happen. The problem is when they are totally reliable, they live a quiet life. When someone does something enormously stupid and is unable to accept fault they find ways to blame the machinery. This stupid act can be as simple as turning the nifty little screws without any knowledge of the proper method or as monumental as pointing a loaded weapon at a loved one when "unloading" it.

I will tell you don't let that smith anywhere near a trigger. If that is his opinion, then he most obviously does not know how to adjust and safety check a Remington trigger.

With the 40X trigger the only "user adjustable" screw is the one directly in front of the trigger. Turning it will affect trigger pull weight within a certain range. For adjustments beyond that range the sealant must be removed from the factory adjustment screws. Unless you know what you are doing you can very quickly make the trigger unsafe with these screws. There has to remain a certain amount of spring pressure on trigger and a certain amount of sear engagement for the trigger to reset and for the safety to function properly.

It is fairly simple to learn how to adjust the trigger, but then you accept all liability for the outcome.

Thank you gentlemen, for your continued help. Lone Wolf, this rifle came directly from Remington and the trigger is totally virgin. I feel confident in its' safety now. I may gauge it for pull weight, just for my own info. If I can adjust just the one screw to get around a 2.5 to 3 pound pull, I think that should suffice for a field gun. It may be at that now. I'd rather not screw it up, and won't be returning to the afformentioned smith.

What I can do now is stop looking for ways to improve the hardware and start getting serious about training and work on my technique and discipline. I think some handloads might be ok, but that will be more for my own enjoyment than any accuracy benefits. I'm pretty sure the rifle and FGGM shoot better than I can - for now.

This site has been a wealth of knowledge, and will be more so once I pony-up my hard earned cash for the training subscription.

Ok, one last tweak on the rifle. I picked up a trigger pull gauge and tested the trigger as it came from Remington. 10 pulls averaged about 5 pounds. Man, my RR two-stage on my AR is 4 pounds! So I adjusted the front screw to a nice 2.5 pounds and I am happy. The trigger did and still does seem nice and crisp. I didn't feel like I needed to adjust either of the other adjustment screws.