• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 40XB at 250 yards

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
I gotta say I am quite proud of myself.

Remington 40XB, Warne 0moa rail, NF 3.5-15x50 NPR2, Wolf Extra Match, bipod, rear bag.
Sunny, 88*, wind 5-10 from 2:00

Took my 40XB 22lr out to the range and set up a target the size of the bottom of a soda can at 250 yards. Took me 3 shots to judge the wind, but once I figured out the drift of the mighty 22lr, I was able to hit that plate 10 for 10.

I followed my fundamentals of marksmanship and was able to accurately and consistently hit the plate. Felt really good to be able to do that. I have told people on many occassions to not rule out a 22lr at 200 yards. I have now upped that to 250!

Enjoy, have a great night!

Re: Remington 40XB at 250 yards

Nice shooting. Over the years I've heard many people, speaking with great authority, state that such and such a gun or cartridge will not shoot beyond some close range, usually 50 yards. Let's keep proving them wrong.

Awesome.

You remind me of some good 'ole days when I began shooting.....my rifle was a .22 bolt action of some make, no optics, and the blade front sight was very narrow. The rifle would of course shoot any .22 rimfire round I might have found lying around someplace. I was reared on the outskirts of a really small town in Louisiana, a 16 acre poultry and cattle farm. Yes, I know. How many cattle can one graze on such a small farm? About three per acre. We used chicken litter as fertilizer. Grass would grow to heaven if it weren't grazed or cut.

I'd shoot at the turbines on the roofs of the chicken house from across the small farm, the farthest being over 200 yards. A kid with a 22 rifle and pocket of 22 longs can riddle a wind turbine once he finds the elevation.
whistle.gif

Inexperienced and learning shooters are well taught to begin with rimfire. Close range, windy conditions teach us to respect the wind for what it is; a fact of shooting to be mastered or surrendered to.

Ogre, what is your sight in distance?

I use RWS R-50 with a 50 yard zero. My drop is right at 7" to 100. Never tried farther with it but I may take it to the dove lease in a couple weeks. Looking for a rough starting point.

Thanks bud.

~ Rico

bbtoys: Stock XB. Nothing, to my knowledge, has ever been done to it. I have had it about a year now, bought it from a guy here on the hide.

RicosRevenge: I was shooting my Smack the Smiley targets, so 50 yards. If I remember, I had to dial in 16 minutes of elevation (or somewhere right in there). I knew I should have written it down...dangit!

I do remember that when I zeroed at 50, I could use my reticle for the hold-over. So, for sure less than 20 moa, but not a buch less.

Shooting wolf match extra it should have taken 37 moa(give or take) to get to 250 yards from a 50 yard zero.

Eddie

Here is an example for you in MOA, based on an MV of 1050fps (Wolf's published MV), with a 50yd zero, giving you estimates of your dope out to 300yds in 25yd incriments:

25yds = +1.2
50yds = +/-0.0
75yds = -3.3
100yds = -7.3
125yds = -11.6
150yds = -16.3
175yds = -21.2
200yds = -26.3
225yds = -31.6
250yds = -37.1
275yds = -42.9
300yds = -48.8

Man, I don't remember it being that much. I will go out again and write it down. I seem to remember being able to hold over just using my reticle with a cross-hair zero. That only leaves me 20moa to hold over accurately...But, it has been a whole week, and I have already moved the scope back to my M700...

I have been shooting wolf out of my 40xb out to 220 yards prettybregular this last year and my dope is pretty close to this below I am at about 800 ft elevation. I will say that even a slight head or tail wind (12:00 or 6:00) seems tonchange my elevation a fair bit at those distances. Hittimg pop can bottom is mighty impressive..... I am still working in it
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tansinator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is an example for you in MOA, based on an MV of 1050fps (Wolf's published MV), with a 50yd zero, giving you estimates of your dope out to 300yds in 25yd incriments:

25yds = +1.2
50yds = +/-0.0
75yds = -3.3
100yds = -7.3
125yds = -11.6
150yds = -16.3
175yds = -21.2
200yds = -26.3
225yds = -31.6
250yds = -37.1
275yds = -42.9
300yds = -48.8 </div></div>

You guys are going to make me play hookey from work again this week, aren't you..

From my last time shooting Wolf Match ammo

100m zero
150 3.2MILs come up
200 I used 6.5MILs
300, 14.4MILs
390 about 21.3MILS (I think they were tumbling)

22lr gets no respect, which isn't all bad since you can shoot it places because 'its only a 22'.

ker2222 said:
I have been shooting wolf out of my 40xb out to 220 yards prettybregular this last year and my dope is pretty close to this below I am at about 800 ft elevation. I will say that even a slight head or tail wind (12:00 or 6:00) seems tonchange my elevation a fair bit at those distances. Hittimg pop can bottom is mighty impressive..... I am still working in it
crazy.gif

That is crazy impressive. I have tried it with a 40x and Anschutz and can't come close.

Eddie

I have the cmp surplus rifle.....nothing modified at all to it. It measures 26.5 inches from the lug to the muzzle. I just ordered a mcmillan A3 for it so it will better match my other rigs. In fact, I have been trying to get the rolling on a conversion and build from black ops precision going---turning it into a repeater and shortening up the barrel but I know those guys are crazy busy.

And while I am sure the rifle will do it, I am NO WHERE NEAR being able to group up on a pop can size target. That is some impressive shooting. This is the best I EVER did at that range---it is, of course, the only target I show people....lol

IMG_1879-1-1.jpg

that was at 220 yards and it was 28 moa of elevation from a 50yrd zero that day. THe paper is standard 8.5x11 paper and the mildot master is in there for some reference. However, if you count the holes, there is only 8 of a 9 shot group....missed by a mile with that one round. Even this was when I was shooting almost every day. I couldn't do it today as I am pretty out of practice now and trying to build back up to that level.

a good 22 will teach you a lot at 200 yards.....all of your mistakes are accentuated and right there on paper....lol

That's about like my 200 yard groups as well. With little to no wind.

Eddie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ker2222</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the cmp surplus rifle.....nothing modified at all to it. It measures 26.5 inches from the lug to the muzzle. I just ordered a mcmillan A3 for it so it will better match my other rigs. In fact, I have been trying to get the rolling on a conversion and build from black ops precision going---turning it into a repeater and shortening up the barrel but I know those guys are crazy busy.

And while I am sure the rifle will do it, I am NO WHERE NEAR being able to group up on a pop can size target. That is some impressive shooting. This is the best I EVER did at that range---it is, of course, the only target I show people....lol

IMG_1879-1-1.jpg

that was at 220 yards and it was 28 moa of elevation from a 50yrd zero that day. THe paper is standard 8.5x11 paper and the mildot master is in there for some reference. However, if you count the holes, there is only 8 of a 9 shot group....missed by a mile with that one round. Even this was when I was shooting almost every day. I couldn't do it today as I am pretty out of practice now and trying to build back up to that level.

a good 22 will teach you a lot at 200 yards.....all of your mistakes are accentuated and right there on paper....lol</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: YTALER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tansinator, Thanks for the info. I'm just getting started on a .22 build and this will come in handy.</div></div>

Your welcome, but I borrowed that data from a previous post. But the data is almost exactly the same as how all my 22lr's shoot.

Eddie

That ballistics profile is about right for most of the 22's i shoot even out of my handguns--50-0, 150-15 MOA, 200-~20', 300-~50', so about 35'+/- at 250 is about right. I keep a notebook with me all the time when shooting my 22's with a generic ballistics program for .1 BC @ 1100, and don't often shoot more than twice before i get the MOA right on even out to 300ish, correcting by using a reticle read on each shot. Don't even ask about group size though at those ranges although some super-sweet 1st-shots can be had on occasion. Here's 2 in a row at 225 and then 300 just off my generic profile--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNafED1Rv7k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whC3fwmOk5c

Ogre--from your 2nd post you said you dialed 16 MOA then used the reticle possibly down to it's limit which would've been 20' more for ~36 MOA. Sounds about right to me.

Next time out, do the same thing and see how close you come on the 1st shot--OOORRAAHHH!

i have a milspec 5r 308 that im working up loads for.

i shoot strings of 5 to 10 rounds at targets at 300 yards for this purpose.

to let the barrel cool down i shoot an anschutz mpr 64 at 8 and 12 inch steel plates.

nothing teaches you about wind like a 22lr. and you can shoot fairly expensive ammo all day.

the anchutz is similar in weight to the 308. my only complaint is the scope i use a leupold vx-II 3 to 9 doesnt have a mil mil setup. when i first started shooting it i had a march 5-40 56 mil mil on it before i got my 308 and it spoiled me.

22lr at 300 yards is a blast.

I still remember at 14 some dogs were chasing grandpa’s cow's at over 600 yards. Using a 10-22 with iron sight. I was just trying to scare off the dogs. I aimed a foot to the right and around two foot hi and pull the trigger; dog dropped like a rock. I could not believe it. Went and found my father and walked out to the dog; he could believe I shot that dog at over 600 yards. What was hard; I had to go tell the boy down the road I shot his dog and why. He hardly ever spoke with me after that.

Reactions: STex