• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

REmington 5 R

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2008
Chester, Virginia
I was walking through my local shop this afternoon and on the shelf was a new remington r5 .308

Now I had been hoping to see one again on the shelf as I have been in the market for a new rifle. I was a little shocked at the price tag which was 1225.00

I know they are hard to get but are they worth that much coin?

Re: REmington 5 R

Jeff, Im very happy with mine. It shoots better than the monkey behind the trigger. More than one person who are "professionals" with firearms say that they are a very good gun and shoot very well. Just my 2 cents

Thats a bit high for a factory 5r,look here theres usually always one for sale. If you dont see any look on gunbroker.com,remington makes a certain amount of them a year and sometimes the market is dry.They are great accurate rifles right out of the box,and you can always upgrade them to your liking.
Most ive payed new was $1075 shipped.

snipercountrypx .. talk to him

mine shoots better than i can.. the 5r is the way to go if you want stainless.. they are definatley great shooter.

however, there are plenty of guys shooting sub .5MOA with the 500 dollar SPS-V and SPS tacticools.. so the decision is yours. the V and the tactical require an almost immediate stock replacement.. The 5r has a good stock if you like the ergonomics of it. Same as the Police stock

its defnatley a nice gun.. was worth the coin to me

If you can swing the 5R price tag its a no brainer.

I wish I didn't piddle around with a SPS, they rust immediately unless you get them painted or keep them under a steady stream of oil.

I bought mine off of gunbroker for $750. It is ok out of the box shot 1/2 moa but took it apart noticed the receiver threads where all messed up the bolt was barely getting 50% contact and the throat went on forever. Needless to say it needed a lot of work to make it a real 1/4 moa shooter. If I was going to do it all over again I would get the cheapest Short action rem you can buy throw away everything including the bolt,Keep the receiver buy a 1 piece over sized bolt with sako extractor, stock, and get barrel of your choice, take it to a gun smith and you would have a 1/4 moa gun.

S/A REM 700 rifle $400
Stock (look on the hide) $200-700
oversized bolt with sako $100-200
Trigger $100-200
Barrel $240-350
Gunsmith work $300-$475
Total cost $1340-2000

Or do you own gunsmith work by taking a course in Colorado Trinidad community college one of the best gunsmithing schools in the US

Jeff,

Yes, that price tag is really high. Not sure if it had a wrong price tag or not, but if you pay that price, you will get the "I got screwed" kit with that rifle.

i dont know if they really are worth that much, but i found one in my area at that same price three days ago and bought it. had a bushnell 10x40 put on top and am absolutely loving the gun so far. the gun can very obviously shoot better than I can, but I am happy.

saw a used one at the Atlanta gunshow for $699 with rings and mounts (308)

Picked up the 300wm 5r from snipercountrypx.com for just over 1k.

I am starting to see alot of gun stores jacking up prices to make up for slow sales. To me it just slows down sales even more as online is just a better way to go.

Should run around $1000. A 1/2moa shooter is pretty damn good right out of the box. No need to spend an extra $1000 to try to make it a 1/4moa shooter. Almost no one can consistently shoot 1/4moa anyway...

I just got my second 5R .308 on Friday from a member on the Hide. I was in the market for a new AICS stock, for my first 5R when this one came up in the classifieds, in an AICS stock. My original intentions are to put my rifle in this stock and sell the other,,,,,,,but I have to go to the range and play with it.
Do I like 5R's? you bet your ass, for a stock rifle they are well worth it. Keep your eye on the classifieds, you shouldn't have to pay full price.
SScott

Paid $995.00 for a .300WM on Gun Broker last week. Been looking for 3 months and they're just starting to show up again