• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 504 Sporter Advice

RETE8

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2011
SD
I few months back, I was able to pick up a NIB Remington 504 Sporter in .22LR for under $500 and it seemed like a good deal. I was toying with making a trainer out of it but, after doing some research, I am wondering if I wouldn't be better off selling it and picking up something else. Sooooo...

Option #1: Keep it as is and shoot it.

Option #2: Modify it to make it a trainer.

Option #3: Sell it and start with something else.

I would appreciate your thoughts/opinoins.

Re: Remington 504 Sporter Advice

I had a 504. It shot very well with high end ammo. Mine would not shoot well with anything I could afford to shoot alot, yours may. The bolt handle will work loose, you will want to lock tight it on at the first wiggle, or it may chip the finish off the channel in the stock. At the price you have in yours it is not bad, especially if yours will shoot some type of ammo that is affordable. A 597 mag will work in the 504 if you file a notch in the 597 mag to match the notch in the 504 mag.

Re: Remington 504 Sporter Advice

My 504T loves wolf match and burns holes at 50yds finding a mag that works is the hard part though I have 8 and 2 work flawless the rest seem to have weak spring and will dive on you when they feel like it. The 504T comes piller bedded and has a very nice stock. The trigger on the other hand is decent not great but not horrible. Lilja makes 3 different drop in barrles for the 504 that would turn even the sporter into an amazing tack driver! Current price is 370 for there barrels. Made from tight-bore blanks and chambered with an EPS match reamer. But in the end if you don't like the gun sell it or just hold on to it until you can make up your mind about it.