• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 513-T

Cobracutter

Gunny Sergeant
Banned !
Feb 28, 2006
NOVA
So i just purchased (on layaway) a 513T from a brand new pawn shop. I will have paid $350 out the door for it. It has a nice shiney bore and looks to be around 85%. Only problem is it does not have a rear sight. There are scope mounts on the reciever but i would like to have iron's on this badboy.

Does anyone know anything about these rifles? Was this a good price? Looks like a solid rifle. Not many people make wood and steel like this anymore.

Re: Remington 513-T

My Dad has one shot so much the bolt will slide out if you eject too quickly..but it still shoots small holes at 50ft. I can only imagine the round count
I want to say it had Lyman sights on it and no scope blocks, the rifle is in Fla. so I would have to inquire with him as to any part # and model sight next phone call south

Enjoy it I competed with it as a junior and gave good showings against Winchester52's it is in my mind an under appreciated rifle

John

If it's in nice shape I'd say that is a very fair price.They have a heavy trigger but are very accurate and are nicely built, they don't make them like that anymore.Rear sights can be had, try over on Rimfire Central on the Remington forum.I bought mine 2 months ago at a gun show for $450, it was clean and complete.Shoots many holes close tegether...
DSC00493.jpg

I've since refinished the stock and it looks as new...

I believe the correct rear sight is a Redfield micrometer type. I would also be concerned about scope mounts. I may be wrong but I don't think they were ever manufactured with factory drilled and tapped recievers for them.

Lyman and Redfield are both correct as they were fielded either. The upper receiver will either be grooved to accept 3/8" clamp on rings or will be smooth with no screw holes on the receiver for scope bases. The barrel however comma is drilled and tapped for scope blocks and the front sight may be a screw on post/ramp or may have a milled dovetail for a sight base.

Even if your receiver is D&T'd it will not affect the accuracy of the rifle but may affect resale value.

These make for very nice "man size" training rifles especially if you subscribe to the HS-Precision style of stock. The trigger can be worked a bit but not through the changing of springs as the whole deal works off of a single flat spring. Instead you have to go after engagement surfaces, angles and such.

Cheers,

Doc

check out this months issue of precision shooting magazine
Wes Lefler wrote an article mostly about the remington 22's and it covers the 513T well

so well I am now looking for either a 513T or 541T

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blacksmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">check out this months issue of precision shooting magazine
Wes Lefler wrote an article mostly about the remington 22's and it covers the 513T well

<span style="color: #FF0000">so well I am now looking for either a 513T or 541T</span> </div></div>

I have both, I think the 513T is better as a stock match type rifle and the 541T is more suited to a trainer type build.Look for the 541T-HB,barrel is heavier and has a larger rifle "feel" and the reciever is D&T already for scope bases.

Exhogfler
In todays market, which one do you feel is a better value?
I am watching the internet markets for pricing and they are all over the map. I want one I can bring along over time with out sinking a ton of money into it

That's hard to say, I think both are good values/excellent rifles.It really depends on what you're going to do with it and what you can get them for.I think the 513T is more plentiful and you may find one easier ( there are many on Gunbroker, not bad pricing).513T or X was a CMP rifle so there are thousands out there.541 is a newer rifle but has kinda achieved a cult following with Remington fans, many feel it's the "best" rimfire ever made by Big Green.Hell, by both if you can find a deal and put them away or just shoot them,you'll likely never regret the decision.They really are very sweet examples of finely built rimfires....
Also let me add that the newer Sako's are also very nice,the Savage's are great,and if you don't mind spending serious money the Remington 40X series are the "gold standard" for a build.

Thanks
I have a w 64 SS,gan dad's ole 22 and it is very accurate

So now I am on the hunt for a 513T
Also was the 513T-HB a modified version or did Rem actually sell one?

The remington 513T is an excellent rimfire rifle. I bought mine with the redfield 75 micrometer sights. I put a merit disc to help out the old eyes and have it mounted on a Ken Vianni mount so that I can use a modern scope if I choose to. This is what it can do at 50 yds with bulk ammo. I put a scope on it for two hundred yds. It can do better I can not. Mine was manufactured in 1947. I paid 500 for mine but things are expensive here in San Antonio. I have already been offered 700 for it.

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/ms6852/P1000087-1.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/ms6852/P1000091.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/ms6852/P1000085.jpg

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv157/ms6852/P1000097.jpg

Because of the Ken Vianni Mount I had to use Kentucky windage the POI was raised 24.5 MOA. The sights were set at zero. Without the mount might sights are set at 3 for 50 yds, 10 for 100yds and 28 for 200 yds give or take 2 moa depending on ammo. I used Winchester bulk ammo for the targets shot at 50 yds.

I guess $300 for one here in Virginia is not so bad
I will need to make a trip back to the pawn shop this week

My brother got a Rem510T for $12 35 years ago, but the rear sight was missing.

He welded together an adjustable peep sight.
So it had the peep in the front and a peep in the back.
I could hit a nail head at 100'.

Now our eyes are too old and the rifle has been drilled and tapped for Weaver mounts.
It killed a number of raccoons this year with brain shots.