• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 552 Speedmaster

dagwood

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
Myrtle Beach,SC
I have two 552 speedmasters that are about 10 years old. They both have not been shot very much and cleaned very well after each range outting.
This year they both missfeed, cases stuck in the chamber, etc.
I have tried different types of ammo, not clean as much, then go way overboard on cleaning. Still the same problems happen.
Is this a known problem with speedmasters??? They both are very accurate, but not reliable any more. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Re: Remington 552 Speedmaster

I'd be checking the chamber for gunk or corrosion. Also check the extractor for proper tension. But the fact that both are doing it leads me to believe that the rifles might have been stored somewhere they could get some corrosion/pitting/varnished lube in the chamber making the cases stick.

i never thought of the varnished lube. The guns spend several days locked in a moving van when I moved from Ohio to SC e few years ago. I just started shooting them again just this year.
I'm going to send them to a smith friend of mine and have them disassembled, inspected and cleaned.

Disassemble and clean all the little bitty parts that could have cooked on grease.

Also, what ammo are you using? I have seen the Winchester stuff that comes in a silver box of 50 rounds, loose packed, will screw up even a bolt action Marlin.

The goopy lube on the rounds was on the cases from the loose pack box and after 20-30 shots it would cake in so much that even a bolt action wouldn't extract or feed reliably. The solution was cleaning the chamber well and switching ammo.